Nvidia Drivers "What's Duff Using"

Started by _AH_Duff4r, March 22, 2008, 02:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Duff4r

Hiyas!

In this thread I will keep you informed on the Latest and Greatest Video Drivers.  I promise to only post links to good solid drivers that SHOULD enhance most pilots rigs!

The story.....Many people panic when they hear the word Beta.  You really shouldn't when it comes to video drivers.  Why?  Because beta isn't really beta but more of a  stable Release candidate (RC).  In other words NVIDIA has done extensive testing and assembly.  They're satisfied with the results and now want to see what the "Unwashed Masses" thinks and sees.  I have been Beta testing for years through a site called TweakForce.  This site Beta tests and for the really Hot ones, Tweaks them to max GAMING performance.

Directly under this and in reply to this thread I will post what I'm using, in RED, and a download link, in GREEN, to what I think is stable.  Hope it helps!

~S~
Duff

***All Drivers are for XP Operating System ONLY***

Disclaimer:  I simply can NOT be responsible if you "trash your ride".  I will however, do all I can to help!

My EMAIL: duff4r@cableone.net

_AH_Duff4r

Duff4r is currently using ===> 175.63 <===As of: 8/11/08

Duff4r's Download Link ===>  NV 174.12 XP 32

_AH_Gonzo

Ty Duffr....Will give the vid driver a try.

"I wish I was who I was when I wanted to be what I am today" - Jimi Hendrix

_AH_Duff4r

Hiyas!

I installed the newest Nvidia Drivers prior to playing last night.  All cards are supported and these are awesome.  They have the speed of the 174.12's, and the Image Quality of the 174.70's.  They are very stable and smooth with everything working.  I would highly suggest giving these a go.

Here's a Link: NVIDIA 174.74 XP 32bit

_AH_Gonzo

S! Duff. I DL'd and installed the NV 174.12 driver but got really mixed results. The graphics have never been better but the frame rate took a really bad hit.

With my old NV drivers I was getting about 40 - 50 FPS with everything turned up to max and water reflections set to 2. Using the new driver the game looked incredibly clear although a little cartoon'ish but my FPS dropped to about 18 -25. I would like to mention though that I didn't really play around to much with the card (NV 6600GT) settings after the basic set up. Also, I have modified my game's visual settings from within the config file so that may be a problem also.

I'll DL the new drivers and give it a shot.

"I wish I was who I was when I wanted to be what I am today" - Jimi Hendrix

_AH_Duff4r

Good info Gonzo!

Gonzo, I'm sure you know this but to help others....

There are many settings in the NVIDIA control panel.  Some of them create a huge impact such as VSYNC.  We were talking about this before.  VSYNC ON: - If the Frame Rate can't be maintained it drops in half.  VSYNC OFF: Frame rates will range from Teens to hundred +

Point: Using new and improved drivers is fun!  Be sure you know what your settings were (NVIDIA CONTROL Panel) before changing drivers so you can return them to what you had initially.  I've heard this many times. "I don't understand this, I tried these new drivers then went back to the old ones and they ran like the new ones.  What happened?"

Not all drivers will run the same on each machine.  Changing drivers poses little threat.  It's no longer a (Dark Art) or a (Crap Shoot).  Remember, you can ALWAYS return to your old drivers.  When it says "You are replacing Newer with older do you want to do this say YES!

S~
Duff

_AH_Rumely

Hard Drive size limit install with Windows XP OEM

Have you every bought a new large hard drive and proceeded to do a clean install on this new hard drive and to find that you can only see 137 Gigs of it.

XP OEM  will only see a maximum of a 137 gigs no matter how large the drive is. When you install Service Pack 1a you will see the hard drive larger then 130 Gigs.

Problem how do you install an update before you install windows XP so you will be able to use the full size of your new fat drive of 500 gigs or so. I have found the solution to this problem, and by using this method you will eliminate you update time for XP.  When you install Windows XP you will have loaded XP with Service Pack 1a and Service Pack 2 all ready loaded.

Here is the link to the site that pointed me to this solution http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295

_AH_Duff4r

Good Deal Rumely!

Yes, "Slipstreaming" is the newest rage.  It's "all-that".  I haven't messed with this yet as my rigs stay relatively solid.  I have a buddy with "many boxes" and a killer setup for Media (TV, Stereo, etc.), a Server and a Gamer.

Glad it's sorted,
Duff

_AH_Duff4r

Hiyas!

Best stable driver is the 175.63

I'm running the 177.41's <== Nice and smooth very solid FRs

<S>
Duff

_Deuce_

I am starting to do alot of driver testing.
I have rencently SLI'd (2) GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 320 bit cards.

I am trying to get the game looking perfect with great frames, so duff
if you have a list of drivers that have came out for the past 6 months that would be awesome
or if you have a link at least.

_AH_Duff4r

Well I'm back using the 175.63 because the IQ (Image Quality) is so high!

To start throw in the 174.74's I have linked above.  See how you do with those.  Now Google, nHancer then download and install.

The 177.41's are good

The 177.83's are rock solid but the IQ is so-so

Try the 177.92's for pure speed.

_Deuce_

I tried the 169.19 worked well with frames but image quality sucked...

You are right though the 175.63 is a great quality driver. I am currently using also.
I tested three before I hit that one and was shocked so I am testing others, but reverting if its not to my tastes.

I am mostly interested in IQ cuz of the SLI setup...
My rig should be able to handle most of the settings in IL2

Rig:

EVGA 680i SLI Mobo TR model
Intel Core 2 Duo 6550 @ 2.7 GHz (OCd)
4 GB OCZ SLI PC 8500 Ram
2 GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB GPUs (SLId)
600w XFinity PS with dual 12v rails
250GB Seagate Barracuda SATA Drive
Onboard sound for now HD quality Realtek Audio 7.1 surround
HP w1907 (19" LCD Widescreen Monitor) @ 1440x900

_AH_Olds

I'm currently running the 175.19 driver. I went looking for some of the other drivers you listed (175.63, 177.41, etc.) and can't find them on nvidia's site. I found the 177.92, but am wondering where you found the other drivers.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Duff4r

_AH_Olds

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman