Fortress Malta Campaign

Started by _AH_DarkWolf, November 11, 2015, 08:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Jack

It's spelled peruse in the English language.   Just sayin'.

_AH_DarkWolf

Huh, could have sworn ages ago I checked the spelling and it was with a z...

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_DarkWolf

It occurred to me today I had'nt thought about scoring, so here is how we'll do it. We'll record sorties flown\sorties survived and of course kills. For the kills, if you land safely or crash land in such a way that you do not need to bail out you will get full credit. If you have to bail out, either in the air or because of a flubbed landing you will get half credit. If you are killed or bail out outside of the friendly zone around Malta and are captured, you forfeit all kills.

So there are basically 3 degrees of success (or lack thereof). Save the pilot and plane, full credits. Save the pilot but not the plane, half credits. Save neither, no credits.

Furthermore, the XO's score will be tweaked based on the campaign builders mood on that given day.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Col._Hogan

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: _AH_Col._Hogan on December 02, 2015, 12:07:19 AM
Wow, glad I'm not the XO....

Are'nt we all...

Couple last minute notes :

AI will have zero fuel.

All takeoff orders will be paired, meaning we will spawn in two columns side by each.

So #1 is first on the left, #2 first on the right and so on. And I mean their left/right, as they are facing.

DW

_AH_Archie

Quote from: _AH_DarkWolf on December 01, 2015, 09:55:01 PM

Furthermore, the XO's score will be tweaked based on the campaign builders mood on that given day.

DW

I just hope that the campaign builders and the wifes PMS are the same week.  At least I can have 3 good weeks a month

just sayin

Watch your 6, Own your 12, Hug an 11, Kiss a 29.

_AH_taldrg

~S~
   Just one suggestion(if I may)re: takeoff. When I am in my cockpit ready for takeoff I cannot see the plane ahead of me to know when he has started to roll and with all the chatter on coms. I cannot get an answer when I call.."Turbo. are you rolling?".My suggestion(if I may)is no chatter on coms. untill last plane is up except for the call..."___ rolling", Then you count...1 misissippi, 2 miss. 3 miss. and you roll...makes for good spaceing.
Respectfully submitted:
         TD
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_DarkWolf

That method would work fine when we are in one long line for takeoff. With the paired takeoff, so long as everyone rolls in the proper order, this should'nt be necessary. Let me illustrate (click the image to make it a little larger) :

Here we have the front part of the takeoff line from our runway last night.

Now Bear is the in the #1 position, first on the left. No one moves until he is rolling.

Turbo is in the #2 position, first on the right. He can look to his left and visually see when Bear is moving (indicated by the red arrow) so he knows to roll as soon as he sees Bear move.

BBQ is in the #3 position. Now he can not see Bear in front of him from his cockpit but he CAN look to his right front and see Turbo (indicated by the green arrow). When BBQ sees Turbo start to roll he knows Bear is already rolling so its clear for him to go.

TD is in the #4 position. He can not see Turbo in front but he CAN see BBQ to his left (blue arrow). Knowing BBQ will not roll until Turbo is rolling, as soon as TD sees BBQ rolling he knows Turbo has already gone too.

z5o in position #5 is then watching TD to his right front (orange arrow).

That's me in the #6 position watching z to my left (purple arrow).

And so on.

With the exception of the #1 guy on each runway (who does'nt have to wait for anyone) everyone should be able to visually see the guy who is supposed to roll before they do from the cockpit. When they see that guy moving, it's because he's seen the guy whose supposed to go before HIM rolling etc.

So if Turbo fell asleep and was snoring on the runway in front of you, BBQ would not go. Since you are watching and waiting for BBQ to roll first, you would not go.

So long as everyone takes off in order, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, this system should keep everyone safe.

DW

_AH_taldrg

~S~

OK..copy that.

_AH_DarkWolf

Here's an interesting picture related to the last mission, taken at Malta on January 11th, 1941. Thats the Illustrious under attack while undergoing repairs, you can see her just to the right of the big crane in the middle of the photo. She's down a bit at the stern.

DW

_AH_taldrg

~S~
   WOW!  Look at all those bomb bursts. One thing I remember about war and hot combat and that is.....It's LOUD!    :bomb-034:

_AH_DarkWolf

Couple notes after the last mission :

There was some confusion about some of the locations, Grand Harbour is not actually listed on the in game map but if you check the first post in this thread there is a map there that I've added various labels for landmarks all around the island. Same thing with the airfields, someone called enemies over the field and chaps were saying "Well I see 4 airfields..." Again you'll want to be familiar with the specific place names, maybe even print out a small copy of that map so you have it on hand.

Another thing we were talking about was scrambling to altitude. Seems like every aircraft we'll fly can get upstairs with rads wide open, 100% pitch and 100% throttle plus boost without overheating, which is sort of surprising in the mediterranean. But the trick will be to do that while maintaining squadron cohesion. You're going to have to minimize the amount of time between the first and last guy rolling in each squadron (Not much of an issue for HQ as they are only a threesome). The more time you take in this regard the more strung out you will be, the more the leader has to back off to let everyone accordion together the more altitude you are going to be giving up. So squadrons give some thought to that. We're still kind of easing into this campaign but as we go forward the period of time we have for climbing is going to become more acute.

DW

_AH_taldrg

~S~
   Well put DW and if you don't mind the rattelings of an old man I would like to say this. The squad leader should never slow up. If climbing straight out he can weave side to side maintaining climb power till his group is formed..or..fly a wide shallow climbing turn with each member of his group turning sharp inside the turn to form up but never get caught at 3/4 throttle waiting for the flight to form.
     Respectfully submitted:
        TD
ps: I copied that map when you first put it out.

_AH_Col._Hogan

_AH_DarkWolf

Nice Hogan, the narrator is the same fellow who wrote Fortess Malta. Have'nt seen this.

DW