DSL vs Cable

Started by _AH_Col._Hogan, June 01, 2016, 04:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Col._Hogan

If you have access to the local cable company, we have made some big improvements -

S!

_AH_Doc

Dear sir,

Your TWC modem/routers still suck.

Sincerely,
A disappointed customer.

_AH_Col._Hogan

Tell me what you need and I'll get it for you.

_AH_Autorotate

in my neck of the woods it works fine one way, not so much the other.

_AH_Col._Hogan

Well, we just merged with Charter.

300 megs is heading your way...

_AH_Autorotate

Quote from: _AH_Col._Hogan on June 01, 2016, 09:57:08 PM
Well, we just merged with Charter.

300 megs is heading your way...

_AH_Col._Hogan

I watched that show as a kid in the 70's, yes I'm old.

We will be at a Gig very soon.

Here is some history, stop reading if you start getting dizzy -

Here is some history, stop reading if you start getting nocuous.
Since its initial release in 1997, Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) has become known as the technology behind cable broadband services.
DOCSIS 3.0 - and soon, 3.1, which is currently being certified by CableLabs - are the next generation of DOCSIS, an international standard that lets cable operators like Time Warner Cable add high-speed and telephony data to their current cable TV systems. Like most technical standards, DOCSIS has evolved over time. The most visible difference to users is in the speed.
That's why TWC is using - and requiring - DOCSIS 3.0 technology to deliver downstream speeds of up to 300 Mbps (and 20 Mbps upstream) in New York, Los Angeles, Austin, and soon, seven other markets* as part of its all-digital 'TWC Maxx' network upgrade initiative.
The Advanced Wireless Gateway (AWG) 2.0 modems - which operate under the DOCSIS 3.0 standards - are being deployed for Maxx because they are required for the higher speeds, and because they offer better wireless capability, when compared to their predecessor, the AWG 1.0.
On average, the AWG 2.0 can support Radio Frequency (RF) reach in a 3,000 square foot area, as opposed to the AWG 1.0, which has an average reach of about 1,000 square feet. The AWG 2.0s also have a dual concurrent frequency (2.4 GHz and 5 GHZ), which means the user enjoys more bandwidth through the WiFi network: the more channels to choose from, the less congestion in the signal.

"Our top two Maxx tiers - the 200 Mbps and the 300 Mbps - absolutely require customers to swap to the AWG 2.0s. The previous generation - the 1.0s - only supported up to 150 Mbps, and the 2.0s support up to 300. So it's required on the network side, for Maxx," explained Brian Kline, VP, Consumer Equipment. "But the other big improvement is its wireless connectivity. Wireless, and home network problems are big customer pain points, and this device improves that greatly. So we're making sure to get these into our customers' homes, even if their speed tier doesn't require it."
The speed increase is largely due to the modem's channel bonding capabilities, which allow cable operators like TWC to condense several channels (radio frequencies on the electromagnetic spectrum) into one larger, wider pipe, thereby allowing much more data to flow to the customer.
In addition to significantly increasing transmission speeds (both upstream and downstream), DOCSIS 3.0 modems, like the AWG 2.0, also introduced support for Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6). (IPv6 is the system for identifying and locating computers on networks, and for routing traffic across the Internet. It was developed by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) to deal with the long-anticipated problem of IPv4 address exhaustion.)
Other advantages include enhanced security and lower latency issues than its predecessor. Packet loss (drop-outs in video or sound quality) is also much lower on the more recent model.
What's Next?
What's next in the world of DOCSIS? DOCSIS 3.1, or "Gigasphere" as it's known in the industry, will offer 1 Gigabit per second (Gbps) Internet speeds and is expected to be ready for initial pilots in 2015 according to a recent company press release.
The DOCSIS platform has proven to be a valuable one for TWC as well as other cable operators. Continued innovations will enable the industry to remain competitive in the marketplace and meet the growing needs of consumers

_AH_Doc

Quote from: _AH_Col._Hogan on June 01, 2016, 08:23:27 PM
Tell me what you need and I'll get it for you.

Not sure sir. I have the Arris DG1670 wireless router that TWC gave me. I'm pretty sure I have the highest tier Internet speed they offer. But it sucks. I even keep stuff on seperate bands. Phones and directv are on 2.4 and PC on 5. But it still sucks. Constantly dropping connections on all devices on both bands. Done the hard reset, and also called and factory reset the router. I'm one unhappy customer. To the point of considering fios.

_AH_Col._Hogan

You need our best router.

Call the shop and demand an AWG 2.0 (Advanced Wireless Gateway) 802.11 AC Wireless.

Also, there are a lot of variables with wireless interference, both co and adjacent channel.

Go here -

http://www.twcldconnection.com/homewifi/story.html

Read all the number 2 articles. Each page contains additional blue buttons with more info.

Don't tell anyone I gave you this link, this page is for employees only.

S!

_AH_Doc

Quote from: _AH_Col._Hogan on June 03, 2016, 10:58:02 PM
You need our best router.

Call the shop and demand an AWG 2.0 (Advanced Wireless Gateway) 802.11 AC Wireless.

Also, there are a lot of variables with wireless interference, both co and adjacent channel.

Go here -

http://www.twcldconnection.com/homewifi/story.html

Read all the number 2 articles. Each page contains additional blue buttons with more info.

Don't tell anyone I gave you this link, this page is for employees only.

S!

Awesome! They said I could go take my router in and swap it for any one I want at no extra charge. Any recommendation?

What link...I dont know what you are talking about.

...I dont even know you...what am I doing here.                                                                  ...strange place.

_AH_Col._Hogan

Bottom left menu shows the models.

_AH_kawilder

Darn Hogan,
     With speeds like that you should be hosting. Since I live in NC and they make us use the correct restroom TWC has castrated our cable here. All I can get is 37 down and 6 up.

_AH_Olds

Wish mine was that fast... :unhappy-059:
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Bear

Olds.. i wish your was 1/2 that fast .. lol

_AH_Olds

Me too...hope to have wireless solution sometime this year...will be much faster than this...
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman