4GB Patch

Started by _AH_BBQhead, September 29, 2016, 12:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_BBQhead

S~

For Testing purposes only: 4GB_Patch.zip --->  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak5rS71RlDvgh2sLmQmqMGTI7rdZ 

This is more of a utility than a Mod.  It allows IL2 to address 4GB of RAM instead of 2GB. 

If you want to try it, please install to one of your back up copies of the game. AS of the time of this post I only know of two machines it's been run on, so more testing is needed before possibly borking your working game.

Can't remember if instructions are included, so I'll list them here. It's pretty short.

1.)
  Check your Virtual Ram settings and be sure you have at least 4GB as Max setting for Virtual Ram.  You also need to have at least 4GB of free space available on your hard drive to use as Virtual Ram.
  Optional Reading:   It's rumored that setting the Minimum and Maximum sizes to the same size reduces memory errors. Minimum setting is up to you. My minimum was set to 16mb  by Windows. I changed that to 1024MB ( 1GB ).   Restart your computer after applying the Virtual Ram changes.

2.)
Download, unzip, and run the exe.    ( 4gb_patch.exe ).     

3.)
Aim the patch at il2fb.exe file in your back up copy of the game when it asks.

4. )
That' it.  Try Launching the game from the back up folder you just applied the patch to. Use the il2fb.exe file there and your game should now be able to address 4GB of RAM.
  You'll also see  a backup copy of your original il2fb.exe file in your game folder, too. It was put there by the 4gb patch for safe keeping.   

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Bear

whats the exe called .. i cant find it??

_AH_BBQhead

Quote from: _AH_Bear on September 29, 2016, 04:42:47 PM
whats the exe called .. i cant find it??

The exe is called 4gb_patch.exe  once you've unzipped it.

The zipped download is called 4gb_patch.zip

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_Bear

dopey me .. i got it.. had to dl winzip..

_AH_Hollywood

Update:  Bear sent me Mission 4 and I was able to load it no problem and again the P-51 cockpit looked normal.
Gonna fly the mission tonight.... Looks like BB came through Big-Time...  :drinking-43:

A bit more testing but it is looking good.

Wood
"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Good to hear we're getting closer to having you in the campaign. 

I feel like I'm being given more credit than is due, though.. I just poked around a few forums via google and stumbled upon the patch.   It feels more like it was  a lucky shot into a dark rabbit hole that happened to hit something. I'm not fully convinced of the fix quite yet.. but your results are encouraging.

Keep swingin' that chicken.   - counterclockwise for software, clockwise for hardware.       

_AH_Jack

I applied the patch to a backup copy of my game...no problems;  no better & no worse.   Am I supposed to see an improvement in graphics or load time?

_AH_gatlingun

~S~
Applied to back-up copy,couldn't see any difference.
_AH_Gatlingun

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Expected  benefits include less memory errors and faster loading of missions. 

_AH_gatlingun

_AH_Gatlingun