Deal'n Dave's - Solomon Islands Campaign

Started by AH_DealnDave, March 13, 2017, 01:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AH_DealnDave

S~ All,

Ok Col. Hogan and Jack, sounds good, I'll get started.

I've actually got a head start and have updated / completed two missions so far.  So, say the word when you'd like to start flying this campaign.

Also, I'll need some help with tracking the stats - I'm no good at that sort of thing so any help there is "GREATLY" appreciated  :)

Jack ... As with the Coop missions, I'll be sending you the campaign missions (in blocks of three). I'm normally good for 3 missions a week  :)
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

AH_DealnDave

S~ All,

I've completed the 1st three missions for the campaign.  During these early missions, the mission length is 30-45 mins, less if we are good shots  :)  However, as the campaign advances, so will the mission length as we begin to island hop through the Slot.  Eventually, the missions will run 60-90 mins.
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_Hollywood

QuoteI'll need some help with tracking the stats - I'm no good at that sort of thing so any help there is "GREATLY" appreciated  :)

I can help with Stats when the new campaign starts.

My schedule might change so hopefully I can make 6:00PM PDT

Wood
"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

_AH_DarkWolf

Will we be returning to flying as squadrons for this campaign?

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

AH_DealnDave

Quote from: _AH_DarkWolf on March 13, 2017, 09:48:52 PM

DW
S~ DW

Initially no, however, we can split on comms with fighter and bomber groups.  Also we can divi-up comms when we are flying different fighter types.  As the campaign progresses we'll be able to work as squadrons.  :)
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

AH_DealnDave

Quote from: _AH_Hollywood on March 13, 2017, 09:26:30 PM

I can help with Stats when the new campaign starts.

My schedule might change so hopefully I can make 6:00PM PDT

Wood

Thanks Wood ... much appreciated !!!
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_Col._Hogan

If we go over 70min, we may loose some pilots.

S!

AH_DealnDave

Quote from: _AH_Col._Hogan on March 14, 2017, 01:01:57 AM
If we go over 70min, we may loose some pilots.

S!

Roger that, will make sure missions will not be longer than 45 to 60 mins (max).
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: AH_DealnDave on March 13, 2017, 11:07:36 PM
Quote from: _AH_DarkWolf on March 13, 2017, 09:48:52 PM

DW
S~ DW

Initially no, however, we can split on comms with fighter and bomber groups.  Also we can divi-up comms when we are flying different fighter types.  As the campaign progresses we'll be able to work as squadrons.  :)

I did'nt mean dividing comms, thats not something we've done for ages. Normally campaigns is where we operate with our squadron structure with the 1st, 2nd and 3rd guys flying together and led by their squadron leaders. Campaigns is really the only place we make use of that, if we stop the S/L positions become kinda redundant. Which is a pity when we have 3 guys willing to lead and work together to plan and strategize and what not.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

AH_DealnDave

Quote from: _AH_DarkWolf on March 14, 2017, 10:01:59 PM

I did'nt mean dividing comms, thats not something we've done for ages. Normally campaigns is where we operate with our squadron structure with the 1st, 2nd and 3rd guys flying together and led by their squadron leaders. Campaigns is really the only place we make use of that, if we stop the S/L positions become kinda redundant. Which is a pity when we have 3 guys willing to lead and work together to plan and strategize and what not.

DW

Hey DW,

I understand the squadron concept and yes it can be done, pretty easily I believe.  I don't know though if I'm the person to assign the individual squadron tasks. What I can do though, very similar to what Bear did in his campaign, is post the basic mission brief, then let the squad leaders select their portion of the mission. If that sounds agreeable.

This is why I'm trying to figure out how to post a pic within a forum post  :)

Also, the 1st six campaign missions have been completed and have been sent to Jack  :)
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_DarkWolf

Yeah, the two mains methods are:

You could assign the squadrons to a specific group of aircraft ahead of time. Its not a big deal to do it, the only consideration would probobly be to balance things when some of the groups are bombers so everyone gets their turn in fighters and bombers over the course of the campaign. This does have the advantage of letting guys plan more ahead of time

The other way would be like Jack did during the TF-58 campaign and provide the 3 groups of aircraft and let the squadrons pick on mission night, with who gets to pick first rotating each week.

The important thing would be to ensure enough aircraft are available in each group to accomodate a squadron with a large turnout so they don't run out of kites.

HQ can either be provided with a 3 a/c flight for their use or used as a reserve to reinforce squadrons who are short on a given night.

DW

_AH_DarkWolf

What is the time frame of this campaign? Are we starting as early as the invasion of Guadalcanal or later? Or is it one specific offensive that it covers?

DW

AH_DealnDave

Quote from: _AH_DarkWolf on March 18, 2017, 10:02:46 PM
What is the time frame of this campaign? Are we starting as early as the invasion of Guadalcanal or later? Or is it one specific offensive that it covers?

DW
S~ All,

DW, we will be starting the campaign with Tulagi, then to Guadalcanal, then off island hopping through the Solomon's.  Starting date is August 1942. The campaign length is 25-30 missions. The first 6 missions have been sent to Jack, and I've just today, completed mission #10.
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_Col._Hogan

AH_DealnDave

Quote from: _AH_Col._Hogan on March 19, 2017, 01:02:22 AM
Up to 60 minutes is OK Dave.

S~ All,

I've been trying to keep the mission length to 30-50 mins.  Shorter mission lengths are Scrambles only.  :)
Salute,

AH_DealnDave