Solomon Campaign Briefs

Started by AH_DealnDave, March 29, 2017, 11:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: _AH_Bear on September 06, 2017, 10:26:01 PM
wow... what happened to all the nice shiny new P38s and F4Us??

We must be flying as a unit who were still using Wildcats for this mission.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Jack

Quite a few of you guys have made Ace-in-a-Day in Wildcats.

AH_DealnDave

Quote from: _AH_DarkWolf on September 06, 2017, 11:16:08 PM

DW
S~ All ...

DW is correct.  When building this campaign one of the squadrons I focused on was VMF-214.  This next mission recreates one of their most exciting missions of the war, prior to Boyington and the Black Sheep.
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: AH_DealnDave on September 07, 2017, 12:23:27 AM
Quote from: _AH_DarkWolf on September 06, 2017, 11:16:08 PM

DW
S~ All ...

DW is correct.  When building this campaign one of the squadrons I focused on was VMF-214.  This next mission recreates one of their most exciting missions of the war, prior to Boyington and the Black Sheep.

Yeah the history of the 214 number during WWII is wierd. If I recall it was actually 3 different squadrons that used the number. The first was this F4F squadron but while they were resting between tours the 214 number was taken from them and given to the F4U squadron of Boyington fame that was the Black Sheep. Then it was given to another corsair squadron in 44-45 that also adopted the Black Sheep nickname. They were based on the carrier Franklin and were'nt in action long before she was so badly damaged off the coast of Japan, they lost a bunch of their personnel in the attack.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

AH_DealnDave

Good turn-out for mission - 22, we had 16 pilots altogether !!!  Here is the next briefing to be flown on Tuesday - September 19th.

"Solomon Islands Campaign"
Mission - 22a
Date: April 18th, 1943

After Action Review:

Nice job protecting our repair base at Tulagi. The enemy was able to sink a US destroyer and NZ Corvette, as well as, hitting some PT boats and float aircraft.  The repair facilities however, were not hit at all. The group is deploying back to the Russell's for the next operation.

We've also received the new upgraded P-38's. The P-38G's of the 339th Fighter Squadron have arrived to the Russell's.  They will begin flying missions immediately.

Intelligence:

The architect of the attack on Pearl Harbor, Adm. Isoroku Yamamoto, commander of the Combined Fleet of the Imperial Japanese Navy, is making an inspection tour of their airstrip at Kahili, on the island of Bougainville.  We've received a communication from the very top brass that we are to give this mission the "highest priory !!!"

The Mission:

THIS IS AN AIR-START AT "LOW" LEVEL !!!

All aircraft will fly at low level (below 500m) until the target aircraft are spotted.  All aircraft are to load with drop tanks.  Engage and destroy Yamamoto's aircraft, hopefully in grid area AP-36.

NOTAM's:

All pilots to remain on same comms channel.

P-38's (1st Squad, seats 1-8)
P-38's (2nd Squad, seats 9-16)
P-38's (3rd Squad, seats 17-24)
P-38's (Spare's, HQ & Guests, seats 25-28) - zero fuel at this time

Good Luck ...
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_Bear

wow... thats about 480 km to return to base after engaging.. :surprised-027: :surprised-027:

AH_DealnDave

Quote from: _AH_Bear on September 13, 2017, 11:57:00 PM
wow... thats over 500 km to return to base after engaging.. :surprised-027: :surprised-027:
Yeah ... but I didn't build the map.  :) 

AND ... you guys know me, it's going to be a long and "un-eventful" trip back to the house.   ;)
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_DarkWolf

38s do cruise pretty fast too.

DW

_AH_Col._Hogan

And knowing Dave, the trip home will not be uneventful...

~S

_AH_Hollywood

A medal for the one who kills the admiral
"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: _AH_Hollywood on September 14, 2017, 03:27:46 AM
A medal for the one who kills the admiral

Sounds like a recipe for 20 guys calling in on two bombers!

I think maintaining squadron integrity on this hop will be important, if not group integrity. If you go winchester and start to RTB right away you could end up alone and very far from any help if you find more trouble. If you stick with your squadron you'll always have help and can be an extra set of eyes if nothing else.

DW

_AH_Twenty

Why does everyone use "20" when describing things?

AH_DealnDave

Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_Gator

S! nice interview Dave... But I wish we didn't have to air start, I wish we can taxi to the runway and take off form there. but I know some for the guys will say oohhh it take to long to get there and the mission is long. that is just my 1\8 percent.

_AH_Col._Hogan

Dave, How'bout we go historical and assign a 4 plane section to go after the heavies?

S