Solomon Island Campaign Scoreboard

Started by _AH_Hollywood, April 12, 2017, 08:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Hollywood

new Fellas... jumped on comms the night of..... and away we went.

http://www.il2aceshigh.com/
"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

_AH_Shrtaprch

Of course  We all thought he was DW looking for some Skat lovin...
:lol

_AH_Jack

71st_AH_XE90 was AH for quite awhile in CVFS1 and 2 as well as IL2.  He and his entire flight up & quit one day to form their own squad, which didn't last long on Hyperlobby.  Too bad he took the AH tag for his BOS squad.  Oh well ...

_AH_Hollywood

Solomon Week 5 Results:

Honorable Mention goes to 1st Squad and Guest for their successful mission in sinking enemy ships

_AH_Bear - 2 out of 3 bombs hit ships - credited with 1 ship sunk

_AH_BBQhead - 2 out of 3 bombs hit ships - credited with 2 ships sunk

_AH_Darkwolf - 2 out of 3 bombs hit ships - credited with 1 ship sunk

_AH_z50 - 1 out of 3 bombs hit ships - credited with 1 ship sunk (award post posthumously)

(HVY)_Jimmy - 1 ship destroyed, 1 Enemy Aircraft Destroyed

LarryNolen - 3 out of 3 bombs hit ships - credited with 1 ship sunk

Pedro - 2 out of 3 bombs hit ships - credited with 2 ships sunk

**** All Members of 1st Squad keep up the good work... if you keep this up we'll have to submit paperwork for medals  ****  ** Updated 12-May-17

"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

_AH_DarkWolf

Normally award nominations are submitted privately to HQ, could be kinda awkward if someone knows they've been nominated for something and it does'nt get approved.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Hollywood

Ahhh.... allow me to re-phrase 1st Squad.... see above...

_AH_Lippy

_AH_Hollywood

Solomon Week 6 Results:

Honorable mention goes to the following:

_AH_Olds - 6 Enemy Aircraft Destroyed (Ace in a Day)

_AH_BBQ - 5 Enemy Aircraft Destroyed (Ace in a Day)

TOTALS THROUGH 6 WEEKS

AH_DealnDave

Looks like the enemy got tired of getting their butt's kicked ... only "8" of us lived through Mission #6

Well done Olds and BBQ for kicking their butt's  !!!
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_Autorotate

in my own defense, it wasn't the enemy that did me in... i kicked my own butt in a flat spin.  :happy-026:

_AH_Bear

Quote from: _AH_Autorotate on May 17, 2017, 10:55:05 PM
in my own defense, it wasn't the enemy that did me in... i kicked my own butt in a flat spin.  :happy-026:

Flat spin here as well.. i watched a few of us go out that way

_AH_Hollywood

Too much rudder!!! Huh? Bear, did nothing that OB taught you stick???

Maybe we should qual the P-400?

_AH_Bear

Quote from: _AH_Hollywood on May 17, 2017, 11:53:05 PM

Too much rudder!!! Huh? Bear, did nothing that OB taught you stick???

Maybe we should qual the P-400?
The P-400 wont come out like the P-39... try it and tell me im wrong..

_AH_Hollywood

QuoteThe P-400 wont come out like the P-39... try it and tell me im wrong.. - Bear

Happy to do some testing in the morning... I have had this entire week off from work (starting a new gig on Monday) and can try some low level flat spin recoveries...

Wood

_AH_Autorotate

QuoteThe weight distribution of the P-39 was supposedly the reason for its tendency to enter a dangerous flat spin, a characteristic Soviet test pilots were able to demonstrate to the skeptical manufacturer who had been unable to reproduce the effect. After extensive tests, it was determined the spin could only be induced if the aircraft was improperly loaded, with no ammunition in the front compartment. The flight manual noted a need to ballast the front ammunition compartment with the appropriate weight of shell casings to achieve a reasonable center of gravity. High-speed controls were light, consequently high-speed turns and pull-outs were possible. The P-39 had to be held in a dive since it tended to level out, reminiscent of the Spitfire. The recommended never-exceed dive speed limit (Vne) was 475 mph (764 km/h) for the P-39.

Soon after entering service, pilots began to report that "during flights of the P-39 in certain maneuvers, it tumbled end over end." Most of these events happened after the aircraft was stalled in a nose high attitude with considerable power applied. Concerned, Bell initiated a test program. Bell pilots made 86 separate efforts to reproduce the reported tumbling characteristics. In no case were they able to tumble the aircraft. In his autobiography veteran test and airshow pilot R.A. "Bob" Hoover provides an account of tumbling a P-39. He goes on to say that in hindsight, he was actually performing a Lomcovak, a now-common airshow maneuver, which he was also able to do in a Curtiss P-40. An informal study of the P-39's spinning characteristics was conducted in the NASA Langley Research Center 20-foot Free-Spinning Tunnel during the 1970s. A study of old reports showed that during earlier spin testing in the facility, the aircraft had never tumbled. However, it was noted that all testing had been done with a simulated full ammunition load, which drew the aircraft's center of gravity forward. After finding the original spin test model of the P-39 in storage, the new study first replicated the earlier testing, with consistent results. Then, the model was re-ballasted to simulate a condition of no ammunition load, which moved the aircraft's center of gravity aft. Under these conditions, the model was found to often tumble when thrown into the tunnel.

so maybe it's more vulnerable to the flat spin after the cannon rounds have been expended? worth a test.  :surprised-027:

http://www.arizonawrecks.com/wrecksfrombradgray/p39q.html
QuoteLt. Quick stated that he saw the P-39 in a nose high attitude at an altitude of 13,000" and then immediately go into an attitude of apparent tumbling.  Lt. Quick continued describing said tumbling as a nose, right wing tip, and tail maneuver, end over end, and then the aircraft fell into a normal spin of two (2) to three (3) turns, at which time, the pilot apparently recovered.  At Lt. Quick's altitude of approximately 10,000', the P-39 immediately fell into a spin to the left.  Lt. Quick's actual words were "In a very slow, flat, spin.  It was so flat, it was unbelievable."  Lt. Quick hollered "Jump", but there was no response to his call, and no apparent recovery from the spin.  Aircraft crash 12 miles SW of the city of Kingman, and immediately burst into flames.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/P-39/P-39.html
full report: http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/P-39/P-39Q_Spin.pdf

QuoteMEMORANDUM REPORT ON
P-39Q Airplane, AAF No. 44-3455

Subject:      Report of Spin Tests
Section:      Flight
Serial No:   ENG-47-1779-A
Conclusions
1.   The P-39 should not be spun intentionally under any circumstances.

2.   The P-39 should not be snap rolled as the roll usually ends in a spin.

3.   The best spin recovery is to simultaneously apply opposite rudder and neutralize the stick.

4.   Power should be cut immediately if a power on spin is entered.

5.   Care must be excercised during the recovery to prevent an accelerated stall and re-enty into the spin.

6.   The wing tip spin chute does not aid recovery of the P-39Q from a flat spin.