Solomon Island Campaign Scoreboard

Started by _AH_Hollywood, April 12, 2017, 08:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Hollywood

Salute Bear, Auto et al,

Here is a link to a few test flights, https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uljs4rxoityn640/AAAQ7cNeueSa8DHPYXEEdZyha?dl=0, tracks with various fuel load outs and run with cannon and no cannon ammo.

Lowest flat spin recovery I did was 2500 ft, with recovery around 250 ft.

The following tip sheet is for in-game only as flight manuals more than likely differ.

OB, a friend of Bear and mine, flew with us in Joint-Ops... he was a master in the P-39. This is his tip sheet...

See below.....  may we all shoot 'em down and then land to tell about it....

Wood
"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

_AH_DarkWolf

My method for flat spin recovery in a P-39 type has always been the same. Pretty similar to what you posted.

Chop throttle, drop gear and full flaps, full rudder in whichever direction to counter the spin and push the stick full forward. (I never use any aileron imput, it never seemed to help for me.)

You have to do all these things and hold it like that, you have to be patient. The first thing you'll notice is vapor trails coming from your wingtips, when that happens the nose will start to drop. You will transition from the horizontal into the vertical but still be spinning. Again you have to be patient and hold your controls as noted above. Once in the vertical the revolutions will become slower and slower before stopping. Once it stops, throttle up, raise gear and flaps and pull gently out of the dive. Which can be hard especially if the ground is rushing up at you but as noted if you reef back on the stick you can go right back into a spin.

I've found this to be pretty foolproof. The only time it has'nt worked is when I've messed up and ruddered in the wrong direction. One key thing is to take action quickly. As soon as you get yourself into a position where you are gonna stall and spin, start doing what you gotta do. Don't be full throttle all the way into a full on flat spin or it will be harder to get out.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

AH_DealnDave

S~ All,

Just tested both Hollywood's and DW's methods for getting out of a flat spin using a P-400.  I crashed twice, then I was able to do four successful recoveries.  I started at an altitude of 7000m recovering at 3000m almost every time.  So, now I'm convinced I know the proper technique for recovery, however, thus far in our campaign missions we've been climbing to roughly 10,000 ft (3000m) and engaging the enemy at that height or lower.

With the altitude required to recover, it's possible but very unlikely, that someone could recover before they crashed. My recommendation would be to Boom & Zoom the enemy versus getting into a turning battle.  This offers you to maintain your speed throughout your attack, greatly reducing the chance of your plane getting into a flat spin.

My 2 cents  :)
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_BBQhead

S~

All good info in this thread.   

My questions are:
   1. Has anyone paid attention to whether a clockwise or counterclockwise spin is easier to recover? 
   2. If so, does turning off the motor make any difference and if it does, does it have anything to do with the direction of the spin?
It's been suggested to me that shutting the motor off can help. I've tried it.   It sounds reasonable to me,  but only when spinning in one direction and not the other due to the torque, even at idle, causing a little bit of roll force, possibly fighting the ailerons depending on the direction of the spin (which affects the direction the ailerons are trying to get the plane to move towards).   
The times I've tried turning the motor off  are  when I seem to be locked into a flat spin and nothing else seems to be working, and had some success, but it might have just been coincidental and would have come out of the spin at about that time anyway without turning it off. So basically, all I've got is what I consider
to be anecdotal evidence of shutting the motor off helping, nothing definitive.       

I use opposite rudder and ailerons  into it, with neutral elevator until the nose starts to bob up and down, then pushing  forward on the stick.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_DarkWolf

Spinning at 7000m? Thats like 23,000 feet. Thats pretty darn high. Recovering at 3000m\9800ft seems a long time but maybe it takes longer at that altitude. Flat spin recovery can be done in about 2500ft with a P-39\400 when the spin is entered at 3000ft though its pretty hairy.

To your thought about spin direction BB, I was just doing some practice and did'nt notice any major difference between left and right. Its so hard to say though, does one come out a couple revolutions faster than the other? Maybe but every spin is different too. I did'nt see anything that made me say "Wow, spinning this way is easier to recover." or vice versa.

I'd be a little wary of killing my engine though.  :thinking-008:

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Hollywood

QuoteLowest flat spin recovery I did was 2500 ft, with recovery around 250 ft.

Anything under this and I smacked the ground.

BB, I don't subscribe to the thought of turning off the engine... that's just one more thing to do when you do recover... not to mention that when you start to pull out, you want to some power as well.

Found this: http://www.flightlab.net/Flightlab.net/Download_Course_Notes_files/10_Spins.pdf
A good read on how it all works...

"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

_AH_BBQhead

S~

" BB, I don't subscribe to the thought of turning off the engine... that's just one more thing to do when you do recover... not to mention that when you start to pull out, you want to some power as well."   - _AH_Hollywood

Good answer.   thanks. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_Twenty

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Interesting reading, Twenty.  THanks.

_AH_Hollywood

Solomon Week 7 Results:

*** Updated 28-May-17 ***

_AH_BBQhead

S~

The score boards look so official.  Really nice, Wood. 

They look so good I kinda hate to bring this up.   But,  seems I'm missing a kill.  Pretty sure I should have  one in the pink.

( The following is the type of English grammar up with which I do not care to put.)

Also, I have a question to which you might know the answer .   To where are we supposed to submit award/medal/recognition nominations for this campaign?     

AH_DealnDave

Quote from: _AH_BBQhead on May 27, 2017, 11:10:19 PM

Also, I have a question to which you might know the answer .   To where are we supposed to submit award/medal/recognition nominations for this campaign?     

S~ All,

Good question BBQ,  All award submissions should be directed to HQ, Wood, or myself via the "My Messages" on this web site.  Remember that anyone can submit for an award or recognition.  HQ will review all submissions and make the final determination for the awards at the conclusion of the campaign.   
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_Hollywood

Thanks BB for the kind words.  Excel is easy for me... So super fancy is fairly easy.

I can review the track again.... You think you had a friendly kill?

AH_DealnDave

Quote from: _AH_Hollywood on May 28, 2017, 03:38:46 AM
You think you had a friendly kill?

S~ All,

Wood ... I think he had one back in week 5.  Just need to reflect in totals page.  :)  This from a friendly killer on our 1st SOL campaign mission  :)
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_Hollywood

QuoteWood ... I think he had one back in week 5.  Just need to reflect in totals page. 

All set!