Carrier Launch

Started by AH_DealnDave, May 13, 2017, 01:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AH_DealnDave

S~ All,

I'm trying to figure out why my aircraft are blowing up on the carrier at the start of a mission.

1. I've tried using all types of American carriers and the same thing happens on all of them.  The AI aircraft are trying to launch at the same time.

2. For example, 8ea SBD's, on a US generic carrier, the first planes launches without a problem, then planes 3 & 4 try to move into the launch spot at the same time taking out the rest of the flight. They are armed with two 500 lb bombs.

3. Also on a completely different carrier, I have 8ea F4F-4's, when the game starts, the first two planes try and take the spawn point by taxi and blow up taking the rest of the planes with them. Default armed.

Does anyone have an idea to what is happening?  I've tried this situation on all the US carriers, and the same thing happens on each one.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh .... one more thing I remembered, I'm using the "Wake Island" map.  I think it maybe a glitch with this map.
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_DarkWolf

I did some testing, I tried the 8xSBDs on a US generic carrier with 2x500 lb bombs on the wake island map and they took off fine. I tried another carrier and again they took off without incident. So I'm not sure why yours are doing that.

I tried the F4F-4s and they blow up right away a second after mission start. No reason for it that I can see, they appear to be spaced properly. FM-2s work fine so I suspect its a glitch with the Carrier Takeoff Mod when using F4F-4s. They don't blow up when the Carrier Takeoff Mod is off. This is odd, did we not launch F4F-4s off of carriers in your current campaign Dave? Perhaps its an AI issue and does not affect planes being flown by breathers?

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

AH_DealnDave

S~ All,

Thanks for testing DW.  We have taken off carriers in two of our missions during the campaign.  The very 1st mission we used both SBD's and F4F's, in another we used TBF's and F4F's. We had no issues as all the planes did have flyers piloting them.

What you experienced with the F4F's is the same thing that is happening to me.  As for the SBD's, when the sim is launched they spawn on the carrier properly with one plane forward, six together in two's, and one aft of the formation.  The first plane fly's off normally, once clear then two AI planes attempt to take off at the same time and they explode.

It sounds like a glitch of some kind.  I may need to get the "stick" that has been going through the Squad and reload my game.  Maybe that will clear the issue.
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_BBQhead

S~

I don't remember what version of the game it was, but there was a problem with carriers facing a specific direction.  If you want to try a shot in the dark that doesn't sound like it could possibly fix it, try changing the carriers' headings. 

Although it sounds more like a glitch with the carrier take off mod since when it's turned off it doesn't happen.   

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

AH_DealnDave

S~ All,

BBQ ... you hit the nail on the head.  It's not the carrier direction, but rather JSGME Carrier Take-Off Mod that is causing the issue.  I turned the mod "off" and the planes took off normally. I ran the test three times and every time I turned the mod back on the planes ran into each other, when the mod is off, the planes took off normally.

So the question I have is, why are we using the carrier take off mod?  Does the mod's use have something to do with the carrier's catapult?

If so, that maybe why the AI planes are trying to move together on the deck, searching for a catapult that is not there. The carriers I'm using do not have them, however, even using a carrier with a catapult (Enterprise 42, Lexington 42, Yorktown 42, and Essex) the planes tried to move at the same time and blew up.
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_DarkWolf

We use the Carrier Takeoff Mod because it greatly increases the number of aircraft we can put on one deck. It also allows an assortment of additional tweaks such as instructing the AI to use catapults or not or disabling catapults completely.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_z5o

Figures, someone said Carrier Lunch and forgot to tell me where the food bar was. Although, having lunch on a carrier seems a bit odd. Seeing it would be far more comfortable to have it under an nice tree in an open field, under a big blue sky, but, to each his own. I don't really care as long as the food is free AND all you can eat... I'm hungry.
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.