New Updated Ventrilo is Coming

Started by _AH_BBQhead, September 26, 2017, 02:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_BBQhead

S~ All. 

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about an updated version of Ventrilo that Twenty told me about.   I took a look at the new stuff it can do and we're going to upgrade because why not?   If all goes according to the plan I'm making up as I go, we'll be ready to make the switch shortly after the next meeting. I guess technically, we could do it now, but then I'd be the only one of us who could connect  to Vent and that would kind of defeat the purpose.    I've just begun the planning stage of upgrading.  We won't be switching immediately because we need to coordinate everyone having the 4,0.0 client downloaded and installed before switching the server over.   If you want to get a head start here's a link to the download of the Ventrilo 4.0.0 Client.  Just select the appropriate  one for your OS. The choice is Windows 32 or 64 bit, or Apple OSX 64 bit - whatever that is.   Ventrilo 4 appears to be compatible with windows XP,  7, 8, and 10, and  Apple OSX.

Ventrilo 4.0.0  changelog for the update is ridiculously long so here's a link to some of what they've done:  http://www.ventrilo.com/changelog.php

A couple of the things I saw that look worth while are the ability to change font size (and style) in the main vent window, and Vent  Moderators will be able to drag people from the lobby into channels. Both of these things have recently been an issue because those features aren't available in the version we currently run.
   They've also added support for Bluetooth headsets if you like that kind of thing.

Link to Download:  http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php 
  I DL'ed the 64 bit version last night and it was about 7 MB.   I haven't installed it yet. Not sure if it'll
overwrite or delete the version we use now.  Don't think it will, but I'm going to download the  install for the older version before I test install the new one.

We'll switch when everyone's up to speed. Pretty sure we'll get new connection info with the upgraded server, too.  Might even be a more stable connection. I'm hoping it is, but ya never know with stuff like that until you're actually using it.
Thanks for letting me know about it, Twenty.     

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Autorotate

upgraded and ready to go.
it doesn't overwrite... installs as a totally new program called "VentriloPro", it also automatically copies over your servers, settings and user for you from the current ventrilo.
would be nice if it had backwards compatibility but unfortunately you cant connect to 3.0 servers with the new program. too much new stuff i guess.

ventrilo has been left in the dust by teamspeak and discord in the gaming world...
but its a simple and solid program over all, which is why its lasted as long as it has.
it also suits our needs perfectly so yeah, no complaints here.

_AH_BBQhead

S! Auto

Thanks for hoppin right on it.

I have discord but it stopped working a while ago and I have no idea why.  It connects but only lets me use chat now, no voice. Messed with it for a bit but gave up because I didn't care enough about it. Only used it once every few weeks or so.  I liked it while  it was working for me.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_Bear

Does our server have to be updated as well or will it be compatible?

_AH_Bear

ah ok... i tryed it and it wont hook up to our server... says incompatible version

_AH_Bear

_AH_BBQhead

Yea there's a lot of good stuff with the new version, and yea, the server needs to be 4.0 also. 

Once everyone gets their 4.0 client installed, then we'll upgrade the server. Getting the server upgraded is pretty much an instant start once we ask for it.