F4U-1As for Dave's Solomons Campaign

Started by _AH_DarkWolf, November 26, 2017, 10:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_DarkWolf

Ello,

So Dave says in aboot 2 weeks we'll see the F4U-1As in his campaign, so if you'd like a skin here are a couple options.

The first is a VF-17 scheme. They were known as the Jolly Rogers, all their aircraft carrying the little skull and crossbones flag on both sides of the nose. VF-17 was one of the first US Navy corsair squadrons meant to be part of the new carrier Bunker Hill's airgroup but they were replaced at Pearl Harbor by an F6F unit. So they were deployed to Solomons as a land based unit and saw alot of action and success there and over Rabaul. You have a choice of national insignia with either the blue or red surround.

The other option is a Marine scheme, these were pretty simple and usually marked with the last three numbers of the aircraft's serial number. Interestingly the Marine units in the Solomons shared their aircraft. When a given unit was flying a mission they would take whatever aircraft were available in the pool. VMF-214 of Black Sheep fame for example arrived in the Solomons with no aircraft of their own, they just used whatever was serviceable on a given day. Again with these there is a national insignia option, either the standard star and bar with blue surround, or a field modified variant where the aircraft originally had six point national insignia but has had the white bar added to four of them though with no blue or red surround.

So same as always, if you want one let me know which and a preferred number and what noseart and I'll do em up.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Bear

_AH_Col._Hogan

Marine - star and bar with blue surround

_AH_gatlingun

~S~

Marine version blue star and bar plz and a little dirty if possible.
_AH_Gatlingun

_AH_DarkWolf

Not sure what you mean by little dirty, they are pretty dirty already. You mean like, less dirty? If so I think Hollywood is corrupting you...

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Bear

He means he wants naked ladies on it .. :lol

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Jolly Rogers with the red surround, please.   

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_DarkWolf

You have a VF-17 skin with the blue surround BB, the one with the Spare Parts noseart. Do you want the Broken Comb noseart or the Spare Parts one?

DW

_AH_DarkWolf

I forgot when I posted those screenshots, I meant to work on the side numbers of the Marine aircraft. So they will look like this :

Some of the aircraft had a stenciled numbers, some not. So I'll mix it up.

DW

_AH_BBQhead

Quote from: _AH_DarkWolf on November 27, 2017, 09:14:19 PM
You have a VF-17 skin with the blue surround BB, the one with the Spare Parts noseart. Do you want the Broken Comb noseart or the Spare Parts one?

DW

Broken Comb please.    And if you wanna send me or post Spare Parts so I can DL it, that would be swell, Wally.  onaccounta I don't think I have that one anymore - ever  since the great HDD crash of  whatever year it was. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_DarkWolf

I'm just gonna assume "Wally" is a reference to the highest scoring RCAF ace of WWII, Wally Mcleod and you are saying I am just like him. Why thank you BB, that is most kind of you.

DW

_AH_gatlingun

~S~
No,I meant a lot dirty and weathered.
_AH_Gatlingun

_AH_BBQhead

Quote from: _AH_DarkWolf on November 28, 2017, 01:12:42 AM
I'm just gonna assume "Wally" is a reference to the highest scoring RCAF ace of WWII, Wally Mcleod and you are saying I am just like him. Why thank you BB, that is most kind of you.

DW

Ummm, ok.  I mean that might be who Wally Cleaver was named after.  I figured with your knowledge of all things related to  beavers you would know about Wally. Now that I'm thinking about it though, you might be more of an Eddie Hascal or a Lumpy. Probably Eddie.   (wavey)   

_AH_Jack

As I understand it, Ward was pretty rough on the beaver just last night.

_AH_DarkWolf

Can we please keep the TV references to within the last 30 years please? Thank you.

DW