Missions Kopfdorfer Style

Started by Kopfdorfer, November 27, 2017, 04:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kopfdorfer

Hey Guys,

Firstly , thanks for the welcome here. I appreciate it.
               Sometimes I am taken to be a touch aggressive , pushy even . I prefer to describe it as focused and intense.
               Judge for yourselves.

I am also a self-described amateur historian , as I am sure many of you are as well. As such , usually (not always) , my missions/campaigns are firmly
               rooted in history.

I hope you will try and ultimately enjoy my mission building. I look forward to feedback , and while it is inevitable that I may not like , or agree with  ,
               or even act upon your criticisms , I will pay attention to and consider them all.

The first Mission I propose to present you is "Deadline Manila" , the first Japanese air attacks on Luzon in the Philippines on December 8 , 1941.

Background :                      Despite having several hours notice that the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor , the USAFFE (United States Armed
                                                        Forces Far East) was paralyzed by a combination of disbelief , poor communication , and above all clashes of ego
                                                        at the command level.
                                                        All this resulted in operational immobility , and ultimately the decimation of the FEAF (Far East Air Force) and the
                                                        evacuation of the Philippines by the USN Asiatic Fleet.

Can the AH_ do better (under difficult and limiting conditions) ?

FEAF flights are dispersed over several airfields. Game settings have been chosen to reflect the Fog of War that existed
                                                        on Dec 8.

Aircraft Mix
                               Because not all the relevant aircraft are represented within HSFX7 , I have been compelled to use proxy aircraft. While this is not an ideal
                               situation , for me it is the better compromise than getting into adding modded aircraft one mission at a time.
                               FEAF (and Philippine Air Force)
                               P-26 , P-35 (Re2000 proxy) , P-40B , P-40E , B17D , B17E (all B17s in the Philippines at this time were C and D models - I have substituted
                               E models for the human flown options due to the defensive MG positions being available) , PBY , C-47 and L-5 (substitutes for the
                               Curtiss O-52 Owl Recon aircraft).

IJN
                               (Forces may or may not include these types)
                               A5M , A6M , E-13A (Ar196 proxy) , G3M (either Do17 or Tu2 proxy) , G4M , D3A , B5N , Ki-46 , H8K1

Skin Pack
                               Immersion in the scenario is of the utmost importance to me. For this reason , most of my missions will be accompanied by a skin pack.
                               While the use is not required , I strongly recommend that you install and fly an historically representative skin.
                               I hope you will appreciate the immersion that these settings will provide , and it creates the experience that I intended.
                               Along with the Mission Brief , I will provide the link to a Dropbox containing the skinpack.

I hope you enjoy "Deadline Manila".

Kopfdorfer

_AH_Col._Hogan

Sounds intense, looking forward to it.

~S

AH_DealnDave

S~ All ...

Kopfdorfer, thank you for contributing and building missions for the AH Squadron !!!  I'm also one of our mission builders and like you root mine in history as I'm an amateur historian myself.  Your upcoming mission sounds great.  :)  Looking forward to flying it.

Monday evenings (9pm EST) we fly our COOP missions, this would be the prime time to fly your missions.  Also as a suggestion post your skin pack a few days prior to the mission to allow the fellas time to DL and install.  :)
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Yep. sounds great, Kopf.  I'm looking forward to it.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Bear

_AH_Jack

Kopfdorfer

Okay Guys ,

We need to discuss game settings , and some other parameters.
          I prefer not to have padlock or Hud Icons on. Is this okay ?
          I prefer realistic navigation with no map icons or minimap path. Is this okay ?
          I am able to enable functional radar in an SEOW setting , and in a Dogfight setting
          - FMB gurus out there is it possible to achieve this in a Coop Setting ?
          How many seats do I need to prepare for ?
          Would some pilots be willing to fly/crew P26s , C47s and PBYs ?

Also , my (limited) observations are that your Coop Missions (other than the Campaign Missions) are fairly brief,
          For this reason , I have decided on a series of historically related "short" missions , that reflect the changing operational situation on Luzon
          between Dec 8 1941 and March 1942 (when "Dugout Doug" MacArthur evacuated with his family and President Quezon and his family and a
          lot of gold to Australia on the remnants of PT Sqdn 3 (see the great John Wayne movie "They Were Expendable").
          I will aim to have the Missions run 45-60 minutes in length. This will reduce your pain if you don't enjoy my mission style ,
          and allow the possibility of 2 Missions per night ( I am preparing to release them in twos).

Right now I foresee 6 Missions in this little experiment - obviously less if they are not being enjoyed !

Mission 1   8 Dec 1941   Japanese Air Attacks on Luzon
         Mission 2 22 Dec 1941   Japanese Troop landings in Lingayen Gulf
         Mission 3 26 Dec 1941   Japanese Assault on Manila
         Mission 4 January 1942  Plan Orange is in Effect (Withdrawal into Bataan)
         Mission 5 February 1942 Subic and an Amphibious landing
         Mission 6 March 1942     Pounding the Rock ( Aerial attacks on Corregidor)

Kopf

AH_DealnDave

S~ All

Kopfdorfer here's my 2-cents  :)

I prefer not to have padlock or Hud Icons on. Is this okay ? As for me, when flying breather on breather icons off is ok, however when flying against AI I prefer them on.
I prefer realistic navigation with no map icons or minimap path. Is this okay ? We normally fly with player minimap on.
I am able to enable functional radar in an SEOW setting , and in a Dogfight setting, I've not used a radar setting before, normally if radar works we normally enable enemy views
- FMB gurus out there is it possible to achieve this in a Coop Setting ? See response above  :)
How many seats do I need to prepare for ? For coop night I normally have 16 seats available, campaign night we have 24 squad seats and 4 guest seats.
Would some pilots be willing to fly/crew P26s , C47s and PBYs ? I have seen where the fellas will fly in a gunners seat, however most of us prefer a pilot seat no matter the aircraft type.  :)
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_Bear

~S~

Some of us dont mind flying C47s, PBYs etc.. piloting them of course..  i know i like them occasionally...  I like the in game realistic navigation but its not for everyone and it doesnt apply too much for most allied ac.. not sure about the radar.. whats its all about..

_AH_Col._Hogan

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Thank for asking.  Here's my two cents.

I prefer not to have padlock or Hud Icons on. Is this okay ?

If there are no Hud Icons, my participation will be very limited. I need icons showing at least distance and color from about 2km out - unless there are gunner seats. I like flying gunner seats and would be ok slotting in as a gunner every mission if you decide to run the settings exactly as you've outlined.

I prefer air padlock on when flying against AI, but am ok with it off. The setting I've always wanted is to disable in cockpit air padlock while having external air padlock enabled but I don't think the game allows that option.

Ground padlock needs to be on for me to be able to target any ground targets except ships.
     I describe my game screen as looking like it's 16 bit color with 8 bit resolution.

I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember padlockable distances changed with the dot range settings. It may no longer be the case, and I don't remember exactly which dot range settings they were.   

I prefer realistic navigation with no map icons or minimap path. Is this okay ?

Lol - sure. It'll be hilarious and tragic at the same time - and will be a fun and interesting challenge. I might even learn a few things.

I am able to enable functional radar in an SEOW setting , and in a Dogfight setting
          - FMB gurus out there is it possible to achieve this in a Coop Setting ?

How many seats do I need to prepare for ?

Would some pilots be willing to fly/crew P26s , C47s and PBYs ?

I am. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.