Death Race 2018

Started by _AH_BBQhead, January 06, 2018, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kopfdorfer

This is for Fraggman , and anyone else who didn't understand my first explanation of homing in on the YE/YG signal.

In this example we have an F4F Wildcat approaching the USS Enterprise from ~ 315 degrees.

First you must understand that the YE/YG Beacon Source is at the centre of the Hayrake Pie Chart , and that the signal is sent outwards from the source , which is rotating (as I understand it , it takes about 30 seconds to make 1 revolution , but I am open to an expert chiming in to correct me). As this transmitter rotates it sends out morse signals - one single letter per 30 degrees of rotation.
Once every 90 or 120 seconds it also sends out its 2 Letter ID Code (in this case "AR").
It makes no difference that the position of the Carrier (in the case of YG) is moving , because each signal is pertinent only to the current relative position of the aircraft and the beacon(carrier) at the time the signal is transmitted.

The F4F receives a "K" morse signal every 30 seconds(if the carrier is not moving) , and an "AR" ID code signal every 90 seconds (or so).

The pilot knows that the "K" morse signal means he is approaching the Enterprise from somewhere between 300 and 330 degrees.
His best estimate is halfway between which makes it 300 +  (30 degrees /2 = 15) = 315 degrees estimated approach. If he turns to take a heading of 315 , as you see he will be heading dead away from the Enterprise , so you must always remember to take a
RECIPROCAL HEADING to the beacon morse signal (add 180 degrees to the received signal to get your RETURN HEADING).

Note that if you were approaching on an exact 30 degree spine number , say 330 degrees , it is easy to take the reciprocal (330 + 180 = 150 degrees) , and the + 15 degree estimate is unnecessary.

I hope this explanation helps clarify this. Any questions are welcome.

Kopf

Kopfdorfer

Name Death Race 7 - London Calling

Please Find a Practice Race Course .mis file available below.

Our base today is RAF Croydon , in south London.

You will fly a simple low altitude route from Croydon to East London - on - Thames (AO-28-2) ,
then follow the Thames westwards through the obstacles (and below the height of the balloons).
There are 18 Thames River Obstacle Gates to Pass through in all , including London Bridge ,
plus the Start and Finish Obstacles at Croydon.

If you miss any gates or go beyond the balloons you must return to the FIRST GATE ON THE THAMES at the east end of the course.

If you are shot down or crash , you must begin the leg again , in the same aircraft type.

When you complete the course , return to Croydon.
Park in the designated "Safe Area" on the east side of the base.
Spawn into the next aircraft type and repeat.

To complete the race , you must park your Mosquito BIV INSIDE any one of the hangars on the West side of the Base.
Your aircraft must also survive the race intact within the hangar.
If it is destroyed you must repeat the last leg.

This is a Deathrace - you may arm your aircraft in any way you see fit , and you may shoot at your opponents anywhere but in the safe parking area.

Order of Aircraft to be flown :
1) Miles Magister
2) Hawker Hurricane Mk I
3) Spit MkVB
4) Spit FIX
5) Spit F XIVC
6) Mosquito BIV

London Calling Practice Mission :     https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3bqz9ft8vbuwny/Deathrace7_LondonCalling_PracticeMission.7z?dl=0

Kopf

_AH_Bear

I assume we all take off together in the same aircraft? If your inna dogfight with Twenty and you go outside the marked course to you still have to start over even if you survive Twentys feeble attempts??

Kopfdorfer

Sadly yes , but just to the first gate on the river - not to Croydon.

Kopfdorfer

Deathrace 9 - The Joust.

There is no map for this Deathrace ; there is no need.
As it sounds , this is a series of one on ones , mano a mano - an IL2 Cage Match as it were.

To start it off , the oldest pilot present will choose his opponent.
The opponent will choose the aircraft with which the joust will be fought , from a limited list.

All other pilots will spawn into jeeps , to observe the joust.
All armament choices are locked.

Fuel loadout is limited to 10%.

An aircraft type may only be used once.

Pilots will taxi to start positions at opposite ends of the field - engines may be running.
On a ready - set - go , the joust is on.
Pilots may not shoot unless they and their target are both wheels off the ground.
The area is contained by balloons and towers.

The first pilot to crash , leave the designated area by maneuovre , or be shot down loses.
There is a 3 minute limit to the joust.
If neither pilot is shot down , the peanut gallery decides the victor.

The victor then chooses his opponent (from someone who has not flown) , and then the opponent
chooses the aircraft.

Each pilot earns 1 Point per joust victory.
The joust continues until every pilot but one has lost.

Last man standing is the winner.

Good Luck

Kopf

_AH_Lippy

Twas fun guys thanks Kop

Kopfdorfer

Deathrace 10 - Event Horizon

After Deathrace 10 , I will be taking a break from Deathrace Design in order to concentrate on
a Campaign or two , and historical missions.

Death Race 10 Event Horizon is a very short (<30km) 8 Leg Race between 2 bases.

Each base has 4 different Airframes.

In order to win you must fly 8 legs each in a different air frame.
The order does not matter except for the last leg , in which you must fly and land successfully in the designated Parking Area of the northern base in the Heinkel Lerche.
Yes , the Heinkel Lerche.
Now I have never successfully landed the Lerche , and it is my guess that 90% or more of you have not either.

See you Wednesday , I hope.

Kopfdorfer

_AH_Lippy

I have landed the lerche 10 times in succession successfully now thats a mouth full maybe win one finally

_AH_BBQhead

S~

I used to be able to land it.  Practiced by first learning to hover at altitude - maybe 2000 or 3000 feet and hold an altitude. Then practices dropping 500 feet and holding alt. Then 100 feet drop and hold. Then practiced hovering very close to the water. It was more forgiving than the land which saved a lot of time until I was reasonably able to control it.  It's ok to dip a pretty good bit of the Lerche into the water when it's vertical so I was able to save/recover a lot of those initial what would have been too hard of a landing   landings without having to crash and explode, then respawn, then take off before getting back to landing practice.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Bear

lol.. They dont land quickly.. you'll be shot down long before you accomplish it..hehehhe right DoubleDime?? :happy-112:

Kopfdorfer

Thanks to everyone who showed up for all these Deathraces.
In all honesty , they aren't the sort of Missions I normally spend time on designing ,
being most interested in historically based concepts , or Missions designed to improve Group performance.
I simply thought they might be fun to fill the void of the Racing Night.

Tonight's race was just 3 guys , so due to my creative fount being depleted in this regard ,
having some historical concepts I have on the boiler I'd like to work on , and the declining interest ,
I am declaring Deathrace 10 to be the final one.

Again , thanks to everyone who flew.

Kopfdorfer