Philippines Campaign Briefs

Started by AH_DealnDave, September 13, 2018, 07:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AH_DealnDave

S~ All,

Next Tuesday is Christmas, December 25th, and therefore it is a "NO FLY" day for the campaign. Also, the following Tuesday is New Years Day, January 1st, 2019. Do we want to fly on New Years?

If not, then the next Philippines Campaign fly day will be January 8th. Let me know so I can post the next briefing.  :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all !!!
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_Jack

_AH_Col._Hogan

_AH_z5o

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

_AH_fraggmann

At one time we had Kingdoms ruled by Kings and Empires ruled by Emperors.
Now we have Countries ruled by....mY h3Ad sT!Ll hUrZt

AH_DealnDave

Well it seems folks want to fly on Jan 1st, so here is the next briefing ... This mission will be flown on Tuesday, January 1st, 2019.

"Philippines Campaign - Mindoro"
Mission - 15 , this is the 1/2 way point of the campaign
Date: December 14th, 1944

After Action Report:

Well Done ... hitting those enemy supply ships.  The group sank all six ships and a destroyer. The group also shot down 20+ enemy planes while covering the Army's assault on Ormoc Bay.

The campaign for Leyte is a victory !!!  Other than mop-up operations, the Army has secured the island.

Our air group has been transferred to the Navy's TF-38 and further assigned to the following carriers: the USS Essex, the USS Lexington, and the USS Yorktown. The group will be flying the F6F Hellcat on this mission. TF-38 is enroute to the island of Mindoro for the next part in the Philippines Campaign.

Intelligence:

Good Afternoon Gentlemen ... Welcome to TF-38

Our tasking for today is the airfield on Mindoro, grid BD-36, pad 6, on your map. This is an active airfield with both fighters and bombers assigned here. AAA is rated as medium. A submarine report we received also noted that two enemy destroyers provide AAA cover for this airfield.

Airfield RECON Photo:

The Mission:

*All Squads (F6F) - arm with bombs and rockets. Attack Mindoro airfield. Also attack and destroy the two enemy destroyers covering the airfield. As always, be mindful of enemy aircraft in this area. The enemy has numerous airfields on the island of Luzon to the north.

Notams:

* All pilots to use same comms.
* All deck aircraft have 1% fuel.

Squad commanders ... communicate and verify targets for your squads.

1st Squad (F6F, USS Essex) - seats 1-8
2nd Squad (F6F, USS Lexington II) - seats 9-16
3rd Squad (F6F, USS Yorktown II) - seats 17-24
HQ & Guests (F6F) seats 25-28, AIR START

Good Luck ...
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_DarkWolf

Oh crap, did we fly this Tuesday night?

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Bear

_AH_Col._Hogan

QuoteOh crap, did we fly this Tuesday night?

I killed many Japs in your honor.

~S

AH_DealnDave

Great turn-out for mission - 15, we had 20 pilots altogether !!!  Here is the next briefing to be flown on Tuesday - January 8th.

"Philippines Campaign - Mindoro"
Mission - 16
Date: December 15th, 1944

After Action Report:

Well Done ... hitting the Mindoro airfield. The airfield has been knocked out of action and will not be of use to the enemy for tomorrow's invasion. The group destroyed more than 50+ aircraft in the air and on the ground.

Intelligence:

Good Morning Gentlemen ...

Our task for today is to cover the invasion sea-borne landings near the Mindoro airfield area, grid BD-36. We've been able to decode some of the enemy's message traffic and discovered they are going to try and employ a new and horrific tactic ... flying their aircraft directly into our ships.

The Mission:

All aircraft arm with default ammo. If that enemy pilot wants to die for his emperor, then it's our job to see that he does ... "BUT" ... not by letting him hit our ships !!!

Cover and protect the fleet and the invasion landings in grid BD-36, on your map.

Notams:

* All pilots to use same comms.
* All deck aircraft have 1% fuel.

1st Squad (F6F, USS Essex) - seats 1-8
2nd Squad (F6F, USS Lexington) - seats 9-16
3rd Squad (F6F, USS Yorktown) - seats 17-24
HQ & Guests (F6F) seats 25-28, AIR START

Good Luck ...

:)
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_Col._Hogan

Computer died, won't be able to fly tonight.

Technical?

~S

_AH_BBQhead

how dead is it? 

Any lights come on?
  No lights generally means Power Supply  has gone out, pretty easy to replace. 
  Does it beep at you?
  Beeping is a coded message pointing towards the problem.  Listen for a pattern, it will repeat. 
  Something like 3 short beeps, or 2 short, 1 long, etc.  Various board manufacturers use different beep codes. most are 3 or 4 beeps or less.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Col._Hogan

Thx BB.

Someone broke into my house and spilled a Screwdriver on my desk, the air vents are on top the tower.

Green light on the keyboard, but she wont boot and fans are screaming.

I don't think she likes Vodka and OJ.

~S

_AH_BBQhead

WEll, That's gonna take some troubleshooting. 

It depends on how much liquid got in there as far as determining how likely you are to get it going again short of replacing the the main board.  Sounds like the power supply survived. 

If it was enough that some might have dripped onto the  system board, and might have gotten to the underside of it, best to remove it and clean off any residue with alcohol wipes.   Fruit juice is one of the worst things to let sit in there. It's acidic and the sugar grows really ugly brown black bacteria and mold.

Screaming fans usually means it thinks it's overheating the CPU, or there's a serious short.     

I'd start by Removing the Heatsink and cpu and cleaning them up with alcohol wipes.
Depending on how much liquid got in there, you might find that's easier to do with the board removed from the tower.

If it was just a little, I'd start by unplugging all  of the power plugs from the power supply to the system.  Then only plugging the board and hard drive, and the CPU fans back in after you've removed cleaned and reinstalled the CPU and heatsink assy and cleaned them up and replaced the thermal transfer medium between them, and also removed the ram sticks, cleaned and reinstalled them. Same with the video card.  The idea here is, clean it up, then try to boot with as little attached to the system as is necessary.. which would mean Just the hard drive, Cpu, ram, and video card and of course a keyboard, maybe a mouse, and of course the monitor.   If it won't boot with just minimal load, might have shorted something on the board.. 
Anyway, after cleaning it up, and going to minimal configuration described above, should see or hear something change. Maybe it'll start beeping at you, maybe it'll display the welcome screen for the main board.   And if you're really lucky you may have managed to fix it, will just need to shut it down and plug in your optical drives ( cd, dvd, whatever you've got that was left unplugged the last time. )

With liquid spills it's a bit of a crap shoot. Could just need a cleanup, might be just a fan or two, might be the whole board is toast, maybe more.  Hopefully your hard drive is ok, that's where the important stuff is. Everything else is replaceable.
  Open it up, clean it up.  put it back together, see if it changes, might just be all it needed.. might at least start beeping at you which could tell us something more.
Good luck.   

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Col._Hogan

Thanks BB, I will do as you say.

Looks like my work laptop has just enough juice to handle IL2.

Although, I can't install HL on this machine.

Jack, can you send me your IP?