Philippines Campaign Briefs

Started by AH_DealnDave, September 13, 2018, 07:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AH_DealnDave

Awesome turn-out for mission - 04, we had 25 pilots altogether !!!  Here is the next briefing to be flown on Tuesday - October 16th.

"Philippine's Campaign - Leyte"
Mission - 05 - Battle of the Sibuyan Sea
Date: October 24th, 1944

After Action Report:

Nice work covering the Army on the beachhead.  The group destroyed over 40 enemy aircraft. The USS Yorktown has retired for provisions and fuel. The USS Enterprise joined the battle group during the night. Also during the night, our submarines ambushed the enemy in the Palawan Passage. The submarines USS Darter and USS Dace sank two cruisers and a destroyer.

Intelligence:

Good Morning Gentlemen ...

During the night, our battle group moved to the north end of Samar Island. We've received aerial recon reports that a large force of enemy warships is steaming east from the Sibuyan Sea. The enemy battle group looks to be comprised of two battleships, a cruiser, and four destroyers.

The last sighting placed the enemy group at grid BQ-38, on your map. At that time the heading of the group was 170 degrees at a speed of 20 knots.

The Mission:

Locate and engage the enemy battle group. Search for the group starting at grid BQ-38, pad 5, then turn and fly south-east to grid BR-36, pad 5, on your map.

1st Squad (TBF) - arm with torpedoes. Attack the enemy battle group. The primary targets are the battleships.
2nd Squad (TBF) - arm with torpedoes. Attack the enemy battle group. The primary targets are the battleships.
3rd Squad (F6F) - arm with default ammo. Provide CAP for the strike aircraft.
HQ & Guests (F6F) - arm with default ammo. Provide CAP for the strike aircraft.

Notams:

*All pilots to use same comms channel this mission.
*All deck aircraft have 1% fuel.

1st Squad (TBF) - seats 9-32
2nd Squad (TBF) - seats 33-56
3rd Squad (F6F) - seats 1-8
HQ & Guests (F6F) seats 57-60, no fuel at this time

Good Luck ...
Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_DarkWolf

So I guess we gotta sink the Musashi.

Maybe some of us should lug some 2000 pounders.

I'll add a couple more Yamato BBs to the practice room.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_DarkWolf

Ah crap, no low-level fuze on the 1600 or 2000 pounders.  :sad-056:

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Col._Hogan

Can we turn off bomb fuses for the mission?

_AH_DarkWolf

I would say lets deal with it as is. It does make sense you wouldn't have a low-level fuze for such a big bomb, lest you blow thine own arse off.

In the practice room last night I put five 2000 pounders into the center of one of those Yamatos and the only damage evident was the flak guns and turrets that took direct hits smoking. I wonder how many torpenae it would require. I'll have the practice room open again tonight for an hour before Jack's campaign.

DW

_AH_Bear

In the F4U theres an option for 2-1000lbs and 1-2000lb bomb, with that load out you can take out a Japanese acc i 1 hit... so a few 1600 or 2000 lbs would do well in the sides or from up top..

_AH_DarkWolf

Might be tricky to skip without a low-level fuze though.

DW

_AH_Bear

_AH_DarkWolf

Me and Dave were chucking torpenae at some Yamatos last night. Seems like 3-4 torpedoes hitting the same place will do the job. 3 if we are lucky, more often it took 4. Someone mentioned it might take 5 but a fifth was not needed in any of our runs.

I think between 1st and 2nd we should try to ensure we get at least 1 Yamato BB. They sank the Musashi in real life so if we get the 1 at least we kinda match that.

DW

_AH_DarkWolf

Good job whacking that BB (which sounds dirty but its not) and other vessels. That thing could put up a hell of a flak barrage.

And good job flying home Lippy and ZOD, nice to concentrate our defensive firepower into a little vic like that.

DW

_AH_Col._Hogan

_AH_Bear

I used to be good at torpedoes .. not so much anymore... maybe turning towards the big bombs next time..

_AH_DarkWolf

Did you drop too close? I think I did that 3 or 4 times in a row in the Solomons Campaign.

DW

_AH_Bear

Too far away. Musta gone behind it.

_AH_DarkWolf

Dropping your torpedo too far away is called a "SKAT drop" in the vernacular.   :surprised-027:

DW