AVG P-40 Skins

Started by _AH_DarkWolf, May 03, 2014, 10:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_DarkWolf

We'll be reflying the AVG campaign soon and I had done skins for the original running, so I can do them for anyone who didn't get one or have joined since. I've already posted an updated link elsewhere with the previous ones.

There were 3 squadrons in the AVG which each having some distinct markings, so basically you can pick which squadron you want and give me your preferred number. They are as follows:

1st Pursuit "Adam and Eves" - They used a white tail band. When thinking of a squadron name someone figured the first pursuit in history must have been eve chasing adam in the garden of eden, so they adopted a green apple shaped crest with a snake wrapped around it. In the center are a couple little stick figures chasing one another. The 1st often had the side numbers repeated on the nose behind the spinner

2nd Pursuit "Panda Bears" - This squadron used a blue tail band, also you see alot of aircraft of this squadron with the "lips" of the shark mouth done in blue as well. Apparently Disney made the sitting panda artwork for the squadron and even produced stickers for them but they never arrived in china. Instead people on the squadron produced some custom panda bear artwork but not many of them were applied/completed. We decided just to add the Disney one despite the fact that it postdates the AVG since it's better than nothing. The 2nd also often had the side number repeated on the nose.

3rd Pursuit "Hell's Angels" - The 3rd used a red tail band and applied a variety of naked red angel caricatures just forward of the cockpit. Sometimes they matched on both sides, sometimes they had different ones on each side. I've managed to get 7 different variants of that artwork which I'll apply randomly. In the screenshot below you can also see the 3 color pinwheel design the 3rd used on their wheel covers.

Of course all the aircraft will have Flying Tiger decal on the side, as you can see from the above screenshots there are 3 basic variants. One is kinda horizontal, one angled upwards and one angled with a blue V for victory around it. Again I'll probobly randomize those to some degree as you see different versions on different aircraft, though it does'nt seem the blue V was used very much.

Now as for other noseart, as you can see there is'nt a whole lot of free space. I can put in text like a name or slogan easily enough but adding artwork might be more tricky. The areas on the skin itself are actually kinda small, so it certainly can't be anything too complicated or it will loose all it's detail when I resize it down. So if there is something simple you want, I can give it a shot as see what I can't do. Not alot of AVG aircraft had much beyond the group and squadron markings.

As for the shark mouths, I found 3 from different templates that were nice quality, so I'll mix those up. Also the eyes varied in shape, color and position. So those are elements I'll mix up per aircraft. Though most aircraft had the underlying camo showing through inside the mouth, some had the inside of the mouths painted in with a color very similar to the underside camo. Some even had the mouth a blue color like that of the chinese insignia on the wings.

P-40Es

In the last 3 months before their disbandment the AVG started to receive some Kittyhawks (P-40Es). It does'nt appear that any of the kittyhawks sported the hells angels caricatures or the 1st Pursuit or Panda Bear artwork other than the colored tail bands and the shark mouth will be the same on all. 

One option though is the basic camouflage. Alot of the kittyhawks had the same camo as the tomahawks with the two color upper pattern but some were delivered in the standard USAAF colors of Olive Drab over Neutral Grey. So if you have a preference for one camo over the other lemme know here. Otherwise I'll just kinda mix em up, I think the OD ones were the less common.

So, that's pretty much it. Pick a squadron and give me a number (maybe a simple noseart too) and I'll see what I can do. They will all have the pilot's name below the cockpit and the number incorporated into the serial on the tail too.

Number already in use : 00,11,20,24,26,29,31,42,44,45,49,50,54,55,68,82,900

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_DarkWolf

I cleaned out and updated this old thread for the benefit of anyone who is still in need of a skin for the upcoming AVG campaign.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_gatlingun

~S~ DW
When does the AVG campaign start? I still have my AVG skin/# and 2nd. Squadron. Depending on when it starts I may be able to fly.
_AH_Gatlingun

AH_DealnDave

Salute,

AH_DealnDave

_AH_DarkWolf

Last I heard, it was looking like next week. Not sure if Jack made the final determination on that yet.

DW