Strange mic issue

Started by _AH_Olds, January 05, 2019, 08:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Olds

Hi! I did some testing this morning, and came up with the following:

I tried running Discord again, to see if the problem would reoccur. It did after awhile, probably about an hour. Once it started, I unplugged the mic, and the problem went away. When it came back, I shut Discord down, started it back up, and it worked for a little while, then the problem happened again. The difference was that I had not unplugged the mic this time, and the problem went away. I also ran TS to see if it might be something to do with the keyboard. The problem happened first with Discord, without having to key the mic, so I don't think it has anything to do with the keyboard. I took an audio clip of the sound, which I am posting here for you to listen to.

Warning and disclaimer: Will not be responsible for any deaths caused by uncontrollable laughter  :lol :lol The voice sounds even weirder than I do:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0jdq62cmzdphkj/Voice%20006.m4a?dl=0

This sounds like an electrical issue, like an unfiltered signal. When I shut off Discord, and restart, it goes away, and then comes back. I also tested to see if it might affect regular audio, like a sound file on You Tube. It did not...it only affected the mic circuit.

At this point, could we be looking at a power supply issue? Seems like if it was the board, it would do it all the time.

Any ideas? This is really annoying.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_kawilder

sounds like reverb (echo) in there.

Do you have your speakers turned up or is that on headset?

_AH_Olds

That is actually through the speakers, so you can hear what is going on. You can hear me talking, and then the sound through the mic. Any reverb would be caused by that. If you ignore my regular voice, that is what it sounds like through the headset. I didn't know how else I could get a good recording except for going through the speakers.

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_kawilder

Used to be a way to mute mike so you could not here what you said in headset.

_AH_Olds

I switched the output to speakers, in order to record what I was hearing. I can either run headphones or speakers, not both, unless I use a splitter.

_AH_BBQhead

S~

In the sound settings for Microphone and speakers is your allow exclusive control checked?  Might try changing that.  Also check for an updated driver for your sound card. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Olds

Would that be in Discord? Where would I find that setting? Also, I have the latest version of the drivers, unless they've changed something in the last few days.

BTW, I made another recording without any voice, so you could hear just the noise.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2woxmuilbzy8gl0/Voice%20007.m4a?dl=0

I talked to one of our technicians at work today, and had him listen to the audio. He seemed to think it might be a bus issue, like it was losing data.

I'm not sure if those are on the same circuit or not, but I might try to move the card to the last PCIe x 16 slot, and see if it would work.

Maybe the problem is tied to the loss of the onboard sound...don't know. Might be worth a try to test a different slot, if I can get it to seat.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Olds

_AH_Twenty

Quote from: _AH_Olds on January 07, 2019, 10:04:29 PM
Would that be in Discord? Where would I find that setting? Also, I have the latest version of the drivers, unless they've changed something in the last few days.

BTW, I made another recording without any voice, so you could hear just the noise.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2woxmuilbzy8gl0/Voice%20007.m4a?dl=0

I talked to one of our technicians at work today, and had him listen to the audio. He seemed to think it might be a bus issue, like it was losing data.

I'm not sure if those are on the same circuit or not, but I might try to move the card to the last PCIe x 16 slot, and see if it would work.

Maybe the problem is tied to the loss of the onboard sound...don't know. Might be worth a try to test a different slot, if I can get it to seat.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Olds

Sounds like the alien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTimNS0cpyU

_AH_Col._Hogan

Crows here in Cali will make that noise.

~S

_AH_Olds

Quote from: _AH_Col._Hogan on January 08, 2019, 02:48:16 AM
Crows here in Cali will make that noise.

~S

:lol :lol

I was able to move the card to the lower slot, and got it working. Unfortunately, while I was writing this, the sound went out again. Apparently, the static was minimal, but I was told it sounded like helium. I'll have to keep testing.  :unhappy-059: