Win10 Updates,,, again.

Started by _AH_z5o, March 02, 2019, 05:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_z5o

~S~ Yup, it did it again. Windows updated and blew my game control settings out of the water. nothing works. All my settings are gone. My Saitek throttle drivers trashed and nonfunctional.  :unhappy-059:
Im currently re-downloading the Saitek software and drivers. Lets hope this will fix it.
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

_AH_Bear

yea... get windows 10 they said .. it will be great they said .. lol

_AH_DarkWolf

Thats wierd. I've had 10 for a year now and aside from one major update last April or so that reset some sound settings, its been totally painless for me. Some crashes in other games I used to get are gone with 10 too.  :thinking-008:

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_z5o

The BIG problem I having now is I cant get my stick nor throttle to zero. Nor will they max out. Its like they need to be calibrated, but,I cant get them to do that.
Atleast I hoping that its a Windows Update issue. Around the same time. My power went out,,, hard. I thought my frig was going to blow up from all the noises it made.
My servers and PC's APC went nuts. "FLASH POP FLASH POP FLASH FLASH BANG!!!" then I was in the dark for about two hours. The servers seem to be ok. I THOUGHT my PC was fine, but, soon
after that. MS pushed down another update which afterwords I decided to check everything out. THATS when I noticed my problems. I swear I feel like I live in a 3rd world country here.

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Won't help now until you're settled again, but once you're back in order you can turn the update service off in the services section via the task manager.  Then when you're properly braced and in the mood for a skirmish,  at you leisure, enable the service and check for updates..maybe make a restore point just before  updating.  Then you'll at least feel like you've got some control over when the bad things are going to happen - aside from random power outages  and whatnot.. no UPS on that server rack?  :surprised-027:

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_z5o

Ya, Ive got a UPS on my server. I think the battery is getting weak though. I dont know whats the deal with it doing this from time to time. But, I do know its a pain. S!

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Happened across this little bit of news and figured you might like it.  I see it as Microsoft promising less problems with Windows 10 updates soon - for whatever that's worth. 

Microsoft has announced that starting with the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, users will no longer be forced to install new Windows 10 feature updates as they become available. This comes after feedback from users who have had countless issues with updates breaking programs, losing files, and installing at inconvenient times. Microsoft has been working hard to improve Windows Update, and while the system is better than it was at launch in 2015, it's still not perfect. Now, users will have the option to not have to deal with feature updates when they are released. 
   What Microsoft is doing here is splitting Windows Update in two. The normal "check for updates" button will now only function for security and monthly patches. Feature updates now get their own area in Windows Update where the user can initiate the download and install process for the latest feature update available. If the user doesn't want to initiate that process, they don't have to. The user will be alerted that a new feature update is available every now and then, but at no point will the user be forced to install that update, as long as the version of Windows 10 they're currently running is still in support.

The above is copied directly from Windows Central  found  here: "  https://m.windowscentral.com/microsoft-will-no-longer-force-windows-10-feature-updates-users " ( copy and paste the entire text inside the quotation marks if you want to see exactly what's there.)
      So it looks like patches and security updates will still be forced, but not the "Feature"  updates which I guess are what has been the cause of the majority of the problems.  I'm hopeful the problems caused by updates will be noticeably less after the May 29 update is done.  My plan is to stay one feature update behind so when I do update it should be a little easier to find the fixes for them since they've been out of a while.       

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_DarkWolf

How will I know what I need if Microsoft doesn't tell me and force it upon me?  (roll)

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill