_AH_Racing League

Started by _AH_BBQhead, June 26, 2008, 05:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. Line up on the piano keys, facing WEST.. ( i believe it's in the brief.)

the start poles are the finish poles.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Deviant

A big heads up for the upcoming ME-410 race. The plane has a HUGE amount of left-pulling torque when throttling from 0 to 110%, so make sure that you practice the plane's throttling characteristics before the race! It got so bad a few times that it took me from rolling straight out, to across the twelve-runway-wide runway! (kooky)

I found that holding full right rudder before spooling works best.

_AH_Deviant

QuoteS! all....Practicing raceing today with a few of the boyz we discovered that the 410 in some guys games have wep and some don,t...I would suggest that we change planes for this race as there is no even playing field

Ring

Posted in General, but I figured it should be posted here. In any case, it is correct, there are some major inconsistencies with the ME-410, which appears that some players have wep in this plane, and others don't, which would be a major disadvantage and thus should have the plane removed. The cause of this is that the ME-410 is an AAA exclusive aircraft, and thus, has a flight model that is subject to change.

That said, the ME-210 on the other hand is from the original game (though AI). We should change to that plane simply because the skins for the 410 work on the 210, and it wouldn't be as big of a change.

In addition, I wanted to bring up a little dogfight room secret that, to prevent exploits by those who already know it, could be used for racing. Players can actually set a custom fuel amount by modify the conf.ini file before joining a dogfight room. The catch is that once you change the fuel ingame, that change is lost. I ask people to not use this fueling method, or, if approved, only change it once to prevent people from exiting and entering just to get those 'few extra/fewer gallons'.

_AH_BBQhead

S~.

I'm guessing that this difference is one of the differences from aaa unified installer versions  1.0 and 1.1.

which begs the next question... what other planes are also different? 

this is more than a small problem.   

all racing is canceled until we can get rid of these inconsistencies. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_Deviant

If we can't iron them out, the only way we can keep going is to stick to non-mod aircraft (basically, any aircraft, AI or not, that was in 4.08/4.09 before the mods came along). AAA has a policy not to change those aircraft, and if someone breaks those rules, I'm sure you'll hear about it.

_AH_Deviant

I just threw in 1.1 into my existing 1.0 install (after backup up my orignal install of course  (kooky)), and I have MW50 working now. It seems that 1.1 has added something to the aircraft. What that is, I don't know. Whatever it is, it's working now. I'll look more closely tomorrow to see what exactly changed, by picking apart the installs to figure out what changed.

_AH_BBQhead

S~..

After talking on comms, some that have 1.0  didn't have MV50 ( wep )   and some did.. same with the 1.1..

well.. actually out of the three that i heard..  dev's is working  in a test folder with 1.1 ..

archie's started working with no changes.. and that leaves one that has something amiss in his game.. that we know of...   

thanks for the troubleshooting, Dev. good luck finding the glitch.. 

i don't like the idea of changing planes one day before the race.. so if we can't get everyone's 410's.. the race will be scrubbed .. and we'll run a different plane next week..

_AH_Twisted

I do agree on changing of planes this close to the race date. However the Me-210 could be subbed in. It appears to be the same plane and the skins are interchangeable. This plane appears to have no WM50 or wep, at least for me it doesn't. This would be the only difference I can see thus far but haven't run it on the race track but I can't see the handling being that much difference only acceleration and top speed.

Only a suggestion BBQ

~S~

_AH_BBQhead

S~. Well... 24 hours til happy hour and i don't know if we can get the guys that don't have their planes working  fixed in time.

It came to me that if their planes haven't been working, then they really haven't been able to practice..

getting their planes fixed just in time to race puts them at a disadvantage this week..

SO.. here's what i'm gonna suggest..  as it stands right now.. the race tomorrow will not be the 410's..

UNless... we find a simple fix AND the guys that needed to be fixed are ok with not having practiced..  i know some guys only practice the day of, so if they happen to be the same guys that had the problem.. which is a very outside chance..but if that's the case, then we'll go ahead and race the 410's.. 

What i expect instead..  is, as i remember mentioning at the start of the season.. racing is one of those postpone-able  events , but we might fly an 'experimental' race instead of postponing too often..   So if we don't race the 410's tomorrow.. which is the most likely scenario, we'll  race something else.. but it won't count towards the season standings..  It'll be  a surprise.. and it will be quite different  from the usual races...

there were some suggestions made earlier in the season i'm considering..  and if this never been tried before type race  turns out to be one that we like, we might add it into the rotation for next season.  think.. cross country?.. or maybe  out and back off of and back onto carriers?.. but those sound a little plain... i'm just gonna go crazy with the cheez wiz and then start building... something that seems like it should be more fun than a barrel full of monkeys.. not real monkeys.. they bite..   

bottom line.. we're gonna race... but it might not be the 410's..     if it's not the 410's.  then the finishing order will not figure into the season points totals.. BUT.. i do linda like the idea of a little trophy type thing for your awards page for this "experimental" race.... like the season racing trophies, but probably a bit smaller..   

_AH_Archie

Hate those mean Monkeys

Watch your 6, Own your 12, Hug an 11, Kiss a 29.

_AH_Deviant

YES! Me and BBQ found a very simple fix for those without MW50 in the 410: http://aceshigh.ws/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=get299

Download it, and plug it into "IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\Files\gui\game\"

We'll see if it counts or not.

_AH_Moby

Question from a non-map builder....

Can you make a canyon map?  I was thinking, if possible, make a canyon map that is as long DW's bad attitude, or even as long as Dev's rants on Vent.... jk ;).   The canyon walls will represent the pilons and it's that simple.  If a break in the map is necessary to make a directional change, so be it, altitude of the racers won't have to change obviously....but since I don't make maps.... is it possible to line up a section of a map with a canyon next to another, and fly through it?   What comes to mind specifically for me is the section of map on the Africa amp where the river heads north and then splits into a "Y" as it meets the sea, with a triangular island at that end.  If it's possible, take that "canyon like" part of the map and use it as a section of track, and carry on from there?  Just a thought here, but I'm sure this post will spark the creative juices to flowing in one of you awesome map builders and if it's doable, something might come out of this one...maybe....

Also, a cross country race sounds absolutely awesome in my opinion...never ending straightaways, tight turns to slow you down and re-think your plan, Oh the strategy!!!!!   My 2 cents on that one...

Just wish I was around this weekend for the races.... I'm on nights till Monday morning, so see you guys up there Monday night!

~S~

Mobes.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. The 410 race is looking promising for tomorrow..

woo hoo.  :drinking-42:

_AH_Gonzo

While I'm happy to hear that the 410 race might be a go after all, I like BBQ's idea of a "Cross country" race. In the real world they still do these kinds of thing. Instead of the race being based on shortest time between points (Some times there can be more than 8 that an aircraft has to fly over) the race is based on time over target.

Example:

Aircraft one has a brakes off time of 09:00.
First waypoint time will be 09:15
Second waypoint time will be 09:27
Third waypoint time 09:45
etc...
etc...
Touch down time onto a specified touch down area on a runway at time 10:16.

Any delay in the aircraft arriving at a waypoint at a specified time a=equals points deducted from that aircraft. The distance away from the touch down area of the runway during landing is also deducted from the aircraft's points.

The aircraft with the least amount of deducted points wins the race.

While not near as exciting as our typical pylon racing there is a learning element to the "Cross country" (Or "Air Rally") racing format that teaches navigation, timing, aircraft management, and landing technique.

I'd be more than happy to try and come up with such a course, route, and landing field for such a race but admittedly the scoring might be a little hard to track.

Anyway, just an idea.

"I wish I was who I was when I wanted to be what I am today" - Jimi Hendrix

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. sounds like fun, Gonzo. and, on accounta that's what we're here for, go for it..

the cross country idea seems to be getting some traction.. i don't think we'll need it tonight.. and  buidling a new comcept from scratch in a day seesm like quite the endeavor.. take your time with it.. i believe we have three season races, including tonight's... but after that i 'm thinking we do a few more experimental type races.. keep em on the calendar.. same time and day as always.. and try a few different things..

Air rally sounds good.. waypoints 20 seconds apart sounds a little rough..lol... but i'm thinkin those were just examples.. and yes.. the scoring could be a challenge..but, heck.. let's explore  some ideas and try em out.   my original idea for a cross country was for no course.. just a starting line and a finish line.. with some hills and a mountain in the way..maybe an island..test tracks just off shore at one end of it for starting.., and a finish line on the beach on the other side of it..  dev has been eager to build a cross county course as well..

there are some other ideas in the hopper for other interesting scenarios, too.. 

I'm expecting to race the 410's tonight.. unless too many guys show up at 8 pmEDT with no wep..if they're there for happy hour, we can get em fixed up. If we have less than eight ready to fly at 8..  we'll run an experimental race tonight instead...