_AH_Racing League

Started by _AH_BBQhead, June 26, 2008, 05:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Twisted

~S~

I just had my first few laps of the new track.

First time around corner 3 got a video glitch where the background when all black. Weird but who knows what caused that.

Second attempt I completed 2 full laps.
There are 3 sections where everyone will be DQ'ed. You can't stay below the towers on the crests of the peaks. Not with trees there. The Wall bank part don't even get me started.

I don't mind tough tracks like our first one, but at least you could run it. This track is more of an aerobatic course with a ceiling which you can't exceed, while skimming trees.

Nice in theory but not practical for racing. I personally won't race this current track as is. So if the intent is to race it, I'll just pass and find something else to do.

Sorry Gonzo I know you spent a lot of time making it, and BBQ changing the objects. It might be fun for a very few, but with height DQ's and the layout this isn't challenging, more frustrating.
The last track we just ran had very little changes in elevation and look how many DNF's there were. Look back to Race one and see how many DNF's there were and that had quite a few elevation changes but most were nothing compared to going complete vertical then down 180 degs on the backside of a mountain.

_AH_BBQhead

S~. The DNF's  in the last race were the results of being bumped, or a couple were guys that came into a turn too fast and crashed after hitting the pillars, and one that ran out of fuel.

Agreed this track is a little challenging, but it doesn't seem that tough to me.  some tracks take more than a  few laps to get used to.

I had no problems staying  below the tops of the towers coming over the hills.

For those that are planning to race,  please give the track a go, and let me know what you think within the next day  or two.  IF, within a day or two, there are enough that say it's too difficult for them , we'll find another track. Otherwise we'll race it as is.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Gonzo

S!

I humbly request that the track be withdrawn from the racing league schedule. Due to the size, layout of the map, and the invisible trees, this track will probably cause both frame rate and DNF issues. Also, this map has NOT been tested with a large group of aircraft flying on it. The fact that this course was designed to teach energy management is beside the point.

I also humbly suggest that this Saturday's race be canceled  until such time that a replacement track can be selected. If anything, the break will allow everyone to enjoy Halloween.

Kindly note also, that I WILL NOT compete further in the Aces High Racing league.

Respectfully,

S~ Gonzo

"I wish I was who I was when I wanted to be what I am today" - Jimi Hendrix

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. What can i say?  Since you built it Gonzo, and you are not wanting it to be included, i will of course respect  your request to not use it.  :sad-056:

Since this Saturday is Halloween, and i always like to post a track a week ahead for practicing,  this Saturday's race is postponed, and a different track will be made available on Sunday.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_Twisted

I had no issues with frame rates. It ran decently smooth actually. As far as trees well I haven't hit one yet though I've managed to stall the plane on a the same down slope 2x now only because I was trying different things.
Trial and error and I did figure a way to make the sharp peak spots I did appear to stay within the limits of the building heights to the left.

Regardless on how "one" person feels on a track layout that shouldn't effect a race either. BBQ did ask how others felt. I know I built a track for the spring season that BBQ felt it better not to run for a number of reason. I didn't get upset. I just built something else for later on.

I've been told on a number of times we each are allowed to express our feelings on things. By Gonzo reacting as such I'll just keep my big mouth shut next time and not post like I did earlier.

My apologies Gonzo, BBQ, and Aces High Squad Members.

_AH_Doc

_AH_Autorotate

_AH_Gonzo

S! Twisted, I holey agree with your opinion of the track. Hence, my request to BBQ to exempt it from the the race schedule.

My initial idea was to make the a track as tough as possible on the "Straight away screamers" negating their straight line capabilities and maybe giving the slower guys at the back end of the field a chance to close the gap a little. If they could survive the course. Maybe I made it too tough.

QuoteI've been told on a number of times we each are allowed to express our feelings on things.

I think such instruction is correct, warranted and in most cases justified.

And just to clarify why I dropped out; I dislike flying bombers because straight and level flying is just too similar to my day job (Except for the part when you hit the pickle button). In fact,  any sort or form of prolonged straight and level flight while not on duty simply bores me to tears. Quite simply, unless you start actively thinking about and meeting waypoint, gate, IP, RV, and ToT times, there's absolutely nothing to be learned from it.

"I wish I was who I was when I wanted to be what I am today" - Jimi Hendrix

_AH_BBQhead

S~.
  The last three tracks have been  flat tracks. Was by no means meant to be a requirement of racing. It just so happened that they were built by three different racers so i was happy to have them contributing and wanted to include those tracks in our race schedule.
  Which is just one more reason i was glad to see the track that Gonzo had built had hills. However, since  that one  is now excluded.  I'm going to build a new track.  I'm sure you all remember the last track i built.. not because we had such problems getting it launched ( air start because  the  base didn't fit enough planes) but because it was a hilly twisty course.. although now that i think about it, there was a flat part on it, too.
  anyway.. the old saying that comes to mind is:  Be careful what you wish for.
        (maniacal laughter)
  New track will be made available for practice Sunday. 

_AH_BBQhead

S~.  Still working on the latest track.  Should be available sometime later today.

Sorry for the delay.

_AH_BBQhead

S~ Practice track 7 is available for Download in the view downloads section.

J2m5's on a brand new track  :give-me-beer-0034:

You'll notice that the Finish line is not  in it's usual location, which is near the end of the runway.

On this track,  once you've gotten back around to the take off airfield, you'll find the finish along the side, at a 90 degree angle to the runway.

_AH_BBQhead

S~. The results for Race 7 are in... and here they are:

Race 7

Heat 1

Twisted..15
Gonzo....10
Moggy.... 8
BBQ...... 6
Ring..... 3

DNF
Rgaa
Olds
TD
Z5o

Heat 2

Moggy....15
BBQ......10
Gonzo.... 8

DNF
Twisted
Z5o
Olds
TD
Ring
Rgaa

Heat 3

Moggy....15
Gonzo....10
Twisted.. 8
BBQ...... 6
Rgaa..... 3

DNF
Ring
Olds
TD
Z5o

*******Race 7 Results*******

Moggy....38
Gonzo....28
Twisted..23
BBQ......22
Ring..... 3
Rgaa..... 3

*******Season Totals after Race 7*******

Moggy.....198
Twisted...197
BBQ.......120
Gonzo..... 98
Rgaa...... 79
Ring...... 63
Olds...... 33
Archie.... 32
Dev,,,,,,, 29
Prop...... 12
Dave......  6
Doc.......  6
TD........  3
Z5o.......  0

Recorded Tracks are available here: http://cid-e03b9451bd4b6b4e.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/Mid%2009%20Race%207%20Tracks

_AH_Twisted

Racing Season Scoreboards is now updated.
~S~

_AH_BBQhead

S~   Some  onboard footage  from a real race plane.

What's It Like to Fly a Racer at Reno?

_AH_taldrg

~S~ After WW2 when the air races started again thay were held at Cleveland, Ohio at the downtown airport which meant flying over populated areas. People in their backyards could watch the planes go by and talk about NOISE. The planes were Corsairs..P-51s...P-47s...P-38s all raceing together. What a sight to see and hear and ol' TD flew from Peoria, Il to there in a 65 HP Aronca 7AC.  Had a Narco whistle stop tuner radio and the anttena was tossed out the window and trailed behind the plane to get landing instructions and then I wound it up around my hand after landing. Those were the days my friend.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.