_AH_Racing League

Started by _AH_BBQhead, June 26, 2008, 05:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Archie

Great racing season everyone! 

Great win BBQ

~S~

Watch your 6, Own your 12, Hug an 11, Kiss a 29.

_AH_BBQhead

S~ Racers.  

The 2011 Racing Season is about to Start! 

As always, Race days are Saturdays, and start at 8 pm EDT so as not to interfere with prime time missions, currently that would be the FNF's..     And the track will be open for warm up laps about an hour before Race time.

The practice track for race one will be Posted and made available for Download Tomorrow so you'll have a week to familiarize yourself with the track and plane.  

In order to make the racing season even more fun than it has been in the past, as if that's possible, the scoring system will be modified slightly. Details to be announced prior to Race 1.

Also, for the skinners, who's work is always appreciated, the planes that will be used will be announced 2 weeks ahead of the race to give them more time to work their magic.. except for the first race ( obviously.. because I just thought of it.)

SO.. for Race 1.. It will be the Sea Fury Mk. I  '47  ( at least I'm pretty sure it's the Mk. I.. it's the 47 for sure)
 and for Race 2.. It will be the I-185 M82  

Link to the practice track for Race 1  will be posted in this thread tomorrow.  

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Here is the practice track for the Season Opener of the 2011 AH Racing Season.

http://cid-e03b9451bd4b6b4e.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/AH%201111%20Twister.zip

Track: Twister
Plane: Sea Fury
Laps: 2,3,4

A Familiar track that's often used to open the season featuring a fast plane with a good roll rate and manual control of prop pitch, boost, and radiator. 

The amount of fuel you take is up to you.
Stay below the Tops of the towers. Some leniency will be given at the top of the first hill, but you must be below the tops of the towers before you get to the bottom of the hill. 
If you take off and turn right, you're going backwards around the track.
Good luck and have fun.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Here is the new Racing Scoring System that we'll be trying out this season.

New racing scoring...

Heat 1
1st 15
2nd 12
3rd 10
4th  9
5th  8
6th  7
7th  6
8th  5
9th  4
10th 3
11th 3
12th 3
  dnf

Heat 2
1st 16
2nd 13
3rd 11
4th 10
5th   9
6th   8
7th   7
8th   6
9th   5
10th 4
11th 4
12th 4
dnf

Heat 3
1st  17
2nd 14
3rd  12
4th  11
5th  10
6th    9
7th    8
8th    7
9th    6
10th  5
11th  5
12th  5
dnf

_AH_BBQhead

S~

The Season got off to an exciting start with a good turnout as 10 racers took to the starting grid.

The tracks I recorded last night for reviewing and scoring the heats  are a bit floopy. I see planes zooming underwater, off course, upside down, and sideways. So the posting of the official finishing positions will be delayed. But not to worry, we have a second set of recorded tracks to use, I just don't have them yet..  Results of Race 1 will be posted in this thread  as soon as I've had a chance to verify them.

In the meantime, the practice track for Race 2 is available for download here:

http://cid-e03b9451bd4b6b4e.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/1112%20New%20Guinea%20Race.zip

No hills on this track, but lots of turns.  

Track: New Guinea
Plane: I 185 M82
Laps: 2,3,4

Race 2 will be on Apr. 16 at 5 pm PDT.
Track will be open for warm up laps about an hour before the start of the race.

The plane for Race 3 is the Swordfish.  I expect this will be one of the slowest races in AH history. Practice track for Race 3 will be posted in one week.  

And  a short note about why we race...

AH originally started racing as a way to provide a fun way to learn about energy conservation when flying. It's one of the most important things to understand when dogfighting.  Maintain your E and you'll eventually get the advantage over your opponent when in a dogfight.  
So even if you're not running up front while racing, you're still learning about how to keep your speed while turning, and how to get those extra few mph out of your plane.  
Racing is a way to offer some fun and challenging stick time to learn about E without having to worry about being shot down.  The more you race, the more you'll learn about how to best maintain your E with trim,  coordinated  turns ( matching how much rudder to use with the amount of ailerons you're using), and managing your engine.    

_AH_Lippy

Thanks BB I will keep these things in mind when practicing this week. This is probably premature to ask but will the results be posted here as well. ~S~ Hopping to dethrone you one day  :help2:

_AH_BBQhead

Quote from: _AH_BBQhead on April 10, 2011, 06:36:26 PM
S~

~ the posting of the official finishing positions will be delayed. But not to worry, we have a second set of recorded tracks to use, I just don't have them yet..  Results of Race 1 will be posted in this thread  as soon as I've had a chance to verify them.

I was hoping to have them done before the meeting, but that's not happening.. so I will get to them this evening after flying.. usually takes me a couple of hours.. so they'll be posted very late sometime tonight.

_AH_BBQhead

S~

And... the first race results are in! (Finally)..  remember we are using a scoring system for this season that's slightly tweaked from the previous seasons.. more points for longer races, less spread between first, second, and third, and differing points down to 10th place. The exact points per position/race is posted previously in this thread..  also, those that  DQ  or DNF receive a point.  And because DQ and DNF score equally, they will no longer be differentiated on the scoreboard..

Results for Race 1

Heat 1

BBQ ....15
Archie .12
Boosher 10
Rgaa  .. 9
Toccs .. 1
Lippy .. 1
Gator .. 1
Olds ... 1
Bear ... 1
August . 1

Heat 2

Archie .16
BBQ ....13
Lippy ..11
Toccs ..10
Olds ... 9
Gator .. 1
Bear ... 1
Rgaa ... 1
August . 1

Heat 3
BBQ ....17
Archie .14
Olds ...12
Rgaa ...11
Toccs .. 1
Lippy .. 1
August . 1
Gator .. 1
Bear ... 1

*Race 1 Totals*

BBQ ....45
Archie .42
Olds ...22
Rgaa ...21
Lippy ..13
Toccs ..12
Boosher 10
Bear ... 3
Gator .. 3
August . 3

_AH_gatlingun

My goodness,I can't even make one complete lap.
_AH_Gatlingun

_AH_Archie

Tight racing intersection at 485 KMH

Come join the fun on Saturday night

Watch your 6, Own your 12, Hug an 11, Kiss a 29.

_AH_BBQhead

S~  Nice screen shot, Archie.

Gatlingun, Try flying at the top of the chimneys. If you go off course, you can easily get over the top, circle back around and go on from there. After a couple of laps like that, you'll be able to fly down inside them.

And there are lots of us 'experienced' racers that don't make a full lap at times..  just takes a little practice, and I'm sure you'll have it figured out.

_AH_gatlingun

I did finally complete a lap,very slowly!!!
_AH_Gatlingun

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Good going... that New Guinea track is kind of a tricky one.

_AH_gatlingun

S~
Yes it is,whole lot of turns. I'll just keep on practicing.
_AH_Gatlingun

_AH_Lippy

Look forward to racing with you Gatlin ~S~ Sir