Other squadron level mods

Started by _AH_DarkWolf, July 07, 2008, 10:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Jack

Crap!  I need to proof read before I hit post.  I apologize for the poor grammar.

_AH_Spardog

S!

Jack, that is GREAT NEWS! 

Yes, I was in slide-show before 4.09 so when I read in a post that frame rates on people's PC were being reduced, I became really concerned that my PC was not fast enough with its 1.8 GB CPU.  After following tweaking tips from the guys, my fps increased from 10-12 average to an average 25-30+ and 40+ looking up at the sky, and I feared that I would be back to the low range again with 4.09 installed with mods.

I am really looking forward to being in the sky with you gents once again.  The missus was complaining that I was becoming really grouchy since returning from Florida.

Again, Jack thanks for the information...
:happy-112:

_AH_taldrg

~S~ Jack. I put a chair across the road by the mail box and except for important things I will in that chair till the mail man arrives.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_Col._Hogan

All units be advised, we need to get those boys in the air........S!

_AH_Col._Hogan

S! Gents,

Here is the latest improvement for Normandy.

Check out the screenshots here,

http://allaircraftarcade.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5498&start=0

Thoughts?

_AH_Spardog

Will that additional incidental eye-candy (castles, factories, trucks, train yards, etc.) in the mod map cause additional lag?

_AH_DarkWolf

I've installed that map and poked around on it. I don't think any of those new areas are large enough to cause any frame rate problems.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

ODB_Duck

I wondered if any of yall were usin any of this stuff. I didnt see any harm in it and I copied my 4.08 game so ive got a stock 4.08 and 1 with mods enabled. I made a coop with the Avenger in it which is something I always thought the game was missing. I made a post about it in our ODB forums, and an ODB member who plays America's Army with us, but is not ODB in hyperlobby basicly dogged me out and said anybody who uses these things are cheaters and will never compare to the real long time players and fans of IL-2. And as most of you who have known me for awhile probably guessed I basicly told him id get him a spoon so he could eat my @$$. Anyway, im glad to see other people are using some of this stuff, I dont see what it hurts to use stock AI planes with cockpits added to them like the Avenger in private coops amongst friends. Everybody and their brothers had AIs enabled in cfs2. Ill try to catch up with yall on some of these missions in the hyperlobby.

_AH_Moggy

Hey Duck!

I'm not speaking for the squadron here, just adding my .02 & voicing how I see it.  I used to be against any of the aircraft mods way back but have since come round to seeing some real benefits to including some of 'em.  The ones I have installed are not in my stock 4.08 or 4.09 game folders;  they're in special "modded" ones.  Putting any of 'em in your stock folders causes slotting problems in coops.

As far as the squad adding them (again, speaking only for myself here), I'd guess that that will be a ways down the road.  It's been a task getting everyone here past each "Go" around each mod install board, and adding another batch at this exact point in time might not (IMHO) be good timing.

But I do agree that adding some (like the Avenger), even though they have fake cockpits, might add something to the game down the road.  My guess is that we'll keep this one on the back burner for now, though.

_AH_BBQhead

S~.

Some of the additional planes will eventually  be added into the mix.  The early testing is going pretty well with them.  But more is needed.  The new sideways skin oddity may be in some way  related.. as i was typing this in it came to me that the guys i've seen with those screwy skins seem to be the guys that have been testing the extra planes... might just be my imagination,, or it  could be some odd combination.. no dust + Flames + a certain plane.. maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the extra plane..   

I'm in no rush to add planes.. i see them coming down the road though..they're not too far off...  but i don't want to add them just because they're available...and i don't want to add too many. and not before we've had more time to look for glitches.       

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Gonzo

Quotesideways skin oddity
Explained...Sort of!

A few nights ago I was testing a concept of Johnny's on the Battle of Britain 1940 map. While in the plane selection screen I noted that I could see more aircraft slots available than Johnny could... And he designed the mission!

In game everything appeared normal except that I was seeing Johnny's aircraft in a different "Sideways skin" even though he said he was flying default. Why?

When someone else entered the room they saw the same number of aircraft as Johnny did and also saw him in a default skin.

The aircraft being used for testing were:

Bf-109E (Stock AC)
Bf-110D (Made flyabl;e with sound mod)
He-111H-2 (Stock AC)
He-111H6 (Stock AC)

Spitfire MK.I (Addon aircraft)
Hurri Mk.IIb (Stock AC)
Hurri Mk.IIc (Stock AC)

After discussing the matter for a while we figured out the root of the problem.

While we all had the same aircraft installed, I had 1 modified file that Johnny who designed and was hosting the mission did not.

The Bf-110 C and D models that are made flyable with the sound mod DO NOT have a proper rear gunner and working gauges. When used in co-ops a player only has the choice of selecting the aircraft as pilot unlike the Bf-110G-2 that is stock with the game.

A fix for this is available at Allircraftarcade and adds working gauges to the cockpit and also creates an accurate tail gunner position that can be selected in the aircraft selection page. I have this mod installed in the game version I was using that evening.

The reason for the "Sideways skin" I was seeing is due to the fact that my game was seeing Johnny in a different slot. For example when flying a Bf-109 I was seeing him in a He-111 skin because on my aircraft list on the selection page that's where Johnny appeared to be.

From looking at and hearing the discussions about the mods available there is one thing I'm certain of; If we are going to use mods effectively then every one has to have the exact same mods on their online game. Even the slightest variation will cause the game to glitch.

That being said...here are the mods I'd like to see in use both for the sake of game play and for mission creation:

Beaufighter Mk.X
Spitfire Mk.I
Me-410 Hornet
Me-110C/D cockpit fix
Hurricane Mk.IId

"I wish I was who I was when I wanted to be what I am today" - Jimi Hendrix

ODB_Duck

I think ive got that Hurri, I downloaded some thing called AAA mod pack v2.6, that was the only 1 I saw the Avenger in. Since the Avenger and B-17 were my 2 main interests I got it but it gave me a couple of P-36s, at least 3 B-17s, 2 avengers, 2 gladiators I think, the jap Claude, Jill, and Kate, and I dont know what all else. Ive got a coop I took 4 corsairs out of and replaced them with 4 TBF-1Cs and the TBF have 2 rear gunners and everything works fine when i set up a multiplayer coop, BUT I havent tried it with other players joining yet. BBQ got me set up with that switcher so I can go 408 to 409 and both with mods enabled or not too.

_AH_BBQhead

Interesting detective work, Gonzo..  i was seeing a sideways skin in a coop the other night.. can't tell you exactly what planes were in there, all in the game saw it as sideways, except for the guy flying it... there may be multiple things that can cause that..  the guy that was in the sideways skin is good about adding planes only to his test folder.. and not into his working game folder. so i'm wondering how that might have happened..

extra planes seem to be the toughest type of add on to manage effectively, but i wonder if there are other eye candy mods that might interfere.. i really don't know.. i have seen the sideways skin from time to time in 408 before we did any adding on of any kind.. it was usually the skin of the plane from the previous mission loaded onto the plane in the current mission.. happens on occasion.. fairly rare.. the new skin glitch seems to occur a lot more often.. 

so far we're doing pretty good keeping most of the guys on the same page with add ons except for the eye candy mods... and a couple of guys ( there always seems to be one or two)  that just don't seem to understand testing does not mean add it to your working game folder and see if it causes problems... a separate game folder should be used for testing...   Don't know if that's causing issues or not.    i am still only adding mods that we all need to have to get the game to work when we all fly together.  i don't have the disc room for a test folder, so no extra planes.. and i'm not really that interested in  the eye candy stuff..  i think by the time we actually do get around to adding planes.. i'm going to add a second hard drive.. and make a copy of my current game folder for safe keeping.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_Col._Hogan

S! Gents,

Can't load and play 408,(on or offline). I reinstalled everything from scratch,(thx BTW BB) according to Johnny's post. The errors are map related, the default ones. It's just that I miss flying with my "coop heads" when you guys aren't around .

Do you think the prob could be the switcher?

409 is runnin flawlessly with the exceptoin of that A6M skin prob.

S!

_AH_BBQhead

S~.  Don't kow what it could be.. did you install from the disc and then patch to 408?  did you test launch at that point?

is 409 is working, it seems 408 should.. but with that shot up A6m skin.. there's obviously something off.. and it's unique to your system..

not sure which switcher you're trying to use.. the switcher should replace the exe for the game and the files.sfs file.... and that's all it does.

when you say it won't run, does it load partway?  do you get an error?