Question

Started by _AH_Lippy, November 02, 2019, 11:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Hollywood

The 109s were Spanish built that had Merlin's in them.

Funny huh?

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/bob/109s.htm
"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

_AH_DarkWolf

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Lippy

So my video card is failing. I have looked at Geforce cards, the newest seems to be the 2080 super 8GB card for just under 800 bucks. Not sure I can go that route but the lower cost cards i see a 1650 for 160 bucks and up. I have around 300 to spend and cant seem to make my mind up on which card to purchase. So I am asking those of you that have bought recently I would like to know what ya bought and how much was the card. I dont care where I purchase the card as long as it is a Geforce. Thanks for your consideration.

_AH_DarkWolf

Don't go with a 1650.

Several guys in AH have gone with a 1660 Ti and thats gonna be the best bang for your buck card. If you can get a 2060 for the right price it would be worth it but it depends on the price and the model. I went with a 2060 6gb card six months ago and getting it on sale it was worth it but at the regular price it was overpriced. They now have the 2060 supers with 8gb but again it all depends on the price relative to what you can get a 1660 ti for. Don't worry too much about 6 or 8 gb, unless you are running some super high resolution or something there is no practical difference.

Beyond that yeah a 2070 or 2080 would be better but only if you can stomach the premium price.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Olds

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Lippy

Thanks DW and Olds you have given me more to think about I truly appreciate it. I decided to go with the MSI 2060 and I had to break piggy bank to get it. I had enough rolled coins to purchase the card.
here are the specs.    https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-2060-rtx-2060-gaming-z-6g/p/N82E16814137379?Item=N82E16814137379

_AH_Olds

Very nice! I think you will like this. It also give you expandability if you ever want to go with a monitor that will support the Gsync function for raytracing. Going to get a bigger monitor for myself in the future, hopefully with the Gsync or Freesync 2, then I can look at upgrading the card.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Lippy

I saw that it  supported three monitors. I am not sure what all you where talking about. You Olds have done some research into this. Maybe one day when I feel the need I will get into this a bit deeper. Thanks Bud.  :give-me-beer-0034:

_AH_Hollywood

Lippy,

Depending on what you plan on doing, you can also look at eBay and buy a used card. A new 2080 is crazy expensive.. a new 1080 is also pricey.. but people upgrade all the time, and sell their older cards.
I have been reading about GPUs a bit recently, and the 20 series wasn't the big break through they thought.

I have been using a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (PNY) for three years and it can push BOS at max settings for a 2-D monitor. I can easily get 144 fps on a monitor. It can run two monitors easily.
For VR, this little guy doesn't have the legs and I am running AWS at 45 fps on my Occulus.. it works and its shutter free by there is no headroom there.

Today, actually, I just bought a used MSI 1080 Amour 8G OC for about $330. Amazon is selling this card for $630. Yes, mine is used, but if you hunt down long enough, you will find diamonds in the rough.

One thing you will need to check is your PSU.. make sure you have enough juice to run the new GPU.

I'd be happy to share the specs on my 1060 if your interested.. I never OC'd the thing, and it's a dual fan.. which is better than most founders editions.

This isn't mine, but you get the picture: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174134853574

"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

_AH_Lippy

Thanks I bought a 2060 RTX not the super though. I also had to purchase a new monitor mine would not run HDMI or Displayport. I bought a samsung 24 in curved monitor. I hope I am set for awhile I am down 500 buck a roos.

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: _AH_Lippy on January 11, 2020, 03:35:15 AM
I also had to purchase a new monitor mine would not run HDMI or Displayport.

Whoops, you didn't have to do that. They make all kinds of adapters for that. I was using a DP->VGA one for months so I could hook my 2060 to my 17 year old CRT.

DW