Advice needed.

Started by _AH_z5o, January 04, 2020, 06:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_z5o

~S~ Gents,
What would work good to place between two peaces of galvanized steel that are going to be riveted or passably screwed together? I really want it to act mor as a sealant than a bonding agent. But, that would be nice as well.
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

_AH_Bear

you can buy rolls of thin rubber.. how big are you talking about?

_AH_z5o

Not a very big area Bear.  Just enough to sandwich between two peaces of galvanized roofing steels edge that are around 6" - 10" to make a seal. My plans are to cut a peace just larger than the damage peace of roof. Cut/trim the damage peace off the roof leaving a nice straight edge. Slide the edges of the patch under the roofing applying some sort of seal between them. Then using aircraft rivets to rivet the two peace together. Basically like the skin of an aircraft. Im enlisting the help of a buddy that is trained aircraft fabrication. He's good at metal fabrication and ALOT cheaper than hiring a roofing contractor. I just got to come up with all the bobs and bits needed to fix this. Ive already ordered a 8'x25' roll of galvanized roofing steel. Bought 3 side panels for the skin/out wall that are a close match to the color of my trailer. Im not sure if Ive got anything that will cut this stuff cleanly. But, Im looking in what that takes. I dont think my little Dremel would be up to the task and its got to be as clean as cut as possible. Maybe my 24volt handheld skill saw would do. Ive just to find a blade that would do the job. Im still asking around to find out exactly how to do it. I DO NOT want to put a new roof on this trailer... Thats just cost WAY to much. A patch/repair will have to do. Im confident my plan will more than do the job. As far as the structure of the walls and where the meet the flooring. Thats yet to be seen. Ill find out more when I remove the damaged side panels if it took a hit or not. I know theres a little structural damage. I just dont how much yet. Now for inside my bedroom. Ive got another buddy that is going to give me an extremely good price on fixing that. Ive just got to help with the work. No problem.

_AH_z5o

Hmm, maybe.
Black Mamma might do the job. Theres a thought.

_AH_Lippy

Mind you this was when I was young 74-75. I work to install steal buildings one summer. TYhere is a black caulk that is a sealant. Anyone at any hardware store can p[oint you too it. Also a rubber strip can be used I dont think it is recommended. I am in no way a expert Z but it is real easy to do once the two sheets meet they seal to one another also you will be imputing screws emmediatly. There are special screws for the installation of sheet metal. They have a gasket attached so they seal as well (it is needed to inspect each before you screw it in). Thats it

_AH_Twenty

Quote from: _AH_Lippy on January 11, 2020, 04:19:17 AM
Mind you this was when I was young 74-75. I work to install steal buildings one summer. TYhere is a black caulk that is a sealant. Anyone at any hardware store can p[oint you too it. Also a rubber strip can be used I dont think it is recommended. I am in no way a expert Z but it is real easy to do once the two sheets meet they seal to one another also you will be imputing screws emmediatly. There are special screws for the installation of sheet metal. They have a gasket attached so they seal as well (it is needed to inspect each before you screw it in). Thats it

Wait...when you were young at 74-75....

_AH_Lippy

sorry i shoulld have put 1974 1975