FPS settings?

Started by _AH_JimDandy, March 11, 2020, 04:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_JimDandy

Greatly appreciate all the help  I am getting to get ready for flying again.
After getting the information for Nvidia settings, what is the technique
to get to monitor my FPS? DW I guess I make the settings you laid out
based on my FPS correct?  From your article I should shoot for around
50-60 FPS is the norm I take it? Thank you again for the help all. (wavey)

JD

_AH_DarkWolf

As far as the technique to monitor your fps, you could use a third party program like FRAPS or Bandicam. Can't recall if 1946 has an in game fps counter.

There is no real norm for fps, its all system and setting dependent. You certainly don't want to be dipping too far below 50 or 60 fps. You still might in certain situations but generally you want to be somewhere there or higher. Always best to err a bit on the side of performance in a game where hand eye coordination is important. Keep in mind if you are using vsync that that will lock your max fps to the vertical refresh rate your monitor is set to.

Only testing and trial and error will get you to that sweet spot for your system.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Bear

Quote from: _AH_DarkWolf on March 11, 2020, 08:42:58 PM
Can't recall if 1946 has an in game fps counter.

DW

in game Shift Tab brings up the council then type fps STARTSHOW then hit enter and FPS will show up top center in red i think..

_AH_JimDandy

Thank you gents,
Greatly appreciate all the info.

JD

_AH_JimDandy

Ok update,
Yeah took me a while to get the FPS to work, there is a space between Start and Show.  :happy-016:
DW, I have everything set to max on the Nvidia panel and everything on. I am averaging around 75fps
by myself in the AH qualification map. Been flying around landing and take offs etc etc. it jumps to 82fps
at some times but over all 75fps. Not sure what will happen in a full room with full squadron personal
on the map. For now would be fine to leave as is?

JD

_AH_Bear

Lookin good ma man.. get on discord now and talk with us..

_AH_JimDandy

Will work on getting it set up today.  (wavey)

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: _AH_JimDandy on March 12, 2020, 03:02:53 AM
For now would be fine to leave as is?

Yeah thats fine as a starting point. See how it goes when you start flying and tweak on from there if needed.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_JimDandy

Evening DW
I finally got the FX7 zip drive from Jack in the mail. (got a few issues)
Loaded it and in game FPS is averaging around 45 to 50.
But the standard game is averaging around 75 to 80.
Both times I am in map by myself.  Why is this happening?
and what do I lower if need be to bring FPS back up? I have
everything on Nvidia panel set to max.

JD

_AH_DarkWolf

Well, it could be that HSFX is just a little more demanding than stock. It wouldn't surprise me with all the various mods in there.

There are a few things you could check though. Did you set all the in game graphics and resolution settings in your HSFX copy to the same as your stock one?

Check what mods are active in JSGME. HSFX history mod, EXPERT mode and Carrier Takeoff 5.7 for HSFX 7 are all that is required. Perfect Map Textures shouldn't hurt but make sure there aren't any effects mods active in there.

In the main game folder, check your MODS folder and see if there are any mods activated in there. If there are any folders in there you can add a - in front of their names to disable them to test.

Are you running with vsync on? You could try turning that off in NVCP.

You could also try dialing your antialiasing back in NVCP.

DW

_AH_JimDandy

~S~
Yeah there were a couple of mods running for sounds that was not on that list you gave me. And I made the corrections that you suggested
and now getting between 65 and 70 Average FPS.
Thank you DW, greatly appreciate it.

JD

_AH_DarkWolf

Huh, a sound mod wouldn't have been my first guess as something that would hurt performance but ok. Whatever works.

DW