New Monitor Questions

Started by _AH_Olds, March 22, 2020, 04:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Olds

Looking at pulling the trigger on a new monitor. Found a few that seem promising:

Viotek 34" Monitor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Open-Box-Viotek-GN34C-34-Ultrawide-Curved-Gaming-Professional-Computer-Monitor-/233282768385?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c2#viTabs_0

Acer 35" Monitor

https://www.newegg.com/black-acer-xz-series-xz350cu-bmijphz-um-cx0aa-001-35/p/N82E16824009847?Item=N82E16824009847&quicklink=true

Both seem like pretty good buys, although the Viotek has the higher resolution. Anyone familiar with these?

Thanks,

Olds
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_JimDandy

~S~ Olds,
I just pulled the trigger on a new 34" curved monitor myself.
I was debating whether to go flat screen or curved, glad I went curved
it seems to give you more of the image your looking at. It sort of immerses
you into what ever you have running. As far as brand etc, I got what I could
afford.

JD

_AH_Bear

Olds check this out .. its what i have  32 inch LG  .. way cheaper .,. LG has never done me wrong ..

https://www.amazon.ca/LG-Electronics-32MP58HQ-P-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B01BV1X9DG

_AH_Olds

Thanks, JimDandy! Both are priced the same, but the Viotek has better resolution, although it has a lower refresh rate (100 vs 144 mHz). That should be sufficient...I run at 60 now, vsync on, no tears. I could try the Freesync and some of the other features and see what happens. Resolution is probably the biggest thing. Don't have to have extra USB ports and all that.

Company headquarters are in South Bend, Indiana and I think they are assembled in Korea. I was reading where the panel was a Samsung VA, so that should be pretty good.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Olds

Thanks Bear. I'm looking at going with the widescreen format, along with the curved screen. I know LG is good, but the extra real estate would be nice. Very nice monitor you have there, and a good price. Thanks for the info!

_AH_JimDandy

Olds, from what I have been reading, make sure your new monitor has (display port) plug in from computer to monitor.
Seems that gives you the best image and video and sound enhancement for gaming.

JD

_AH_Olds

Yes, it has a display port, hdmi port, and a dvi port. I wanted to make sure I got one with a display port for the higher resolution.

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: _AH_Olds on March 22, 2020, 04:06:23 AM
Both seem like pretty good buys, although the Viotek has the higher resolution.

Keep in mind the higher the resolution, the more computer horsepower you're gonna need to drive games at that res. Consider what res you run at now, how well it runs demanding games and how much a step up from that your options are.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Olds

Ok, I am running an AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 16 gig rarm, and using an MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6 gig. I run with vsync on, and my frame rates stay rock steady at no lower than 59. Card has dual fans, and they only come on when it gets above 60 deg. C...not very often either. Also running a Corsair CX750M power supply. Hope that's enough horsepower to run the higher res.

_AH_Olds

Here's another question: Concerning curvature, the Viotek I was looking at had an 1800R curvature, while another model from the same company had a 1500R curvature (radius in mm from a center point). Since I run trackIR, is it worth it to go with a tighter curvature? Not sure how well it would work.

_AH_Olds

Did the research, and figured it would be better to go with the lower response time of 4 ms than the extra curve. Ordered the Viotek GN34C...should be a very nice monitor. Should be here by Thursday...can't wait!  :happy-112:

_AH_Hollywood

Congrats Olds

That sounds like a good one.
"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941