Author Topic: This is for Jack  (Read 82 times)

Offline _AH_Hollywood

• Global Moderator
  • BOX? DON'T BE SCARED!
This is for Jack
« on: July 09, 2021, 05:03:59 AM »
"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

Offline _AH_Hollywood

• Global Moderator
  • BOX? DON'T BE SCARED!
Re: This is for Jack
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 05:07:14 AM »
And this

Bear, I already did this to your rig.

free performance boost for WMR
  Hide contents

Description:
Windows Mixed Reality pre-allocates monitors in VR. Take a look at your Windows' monitors (Rightclick to Desktop -> Display Settings)
You will suddenly see many monitors while Mixed Reality Portal is active. These are rendered live, even if you don't use them. The more monitors you have, the higher the performance cost. Get performance boost by disabling them:

[...]
1. Launch Registry Editor
2. Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic"
3. If the "PreallocateVirtualMonitors" REG_DWORD is not present, create it by selecting Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value and entering PreallocateVirtualMonitors as the name
4. If the "PreallocateVirtualMonitors" REG_DWORD is present (or you just created it), double-click the entry and change "Value data" from 1 (its default value) to 0 (zero)
TRUE - 1
FALSE - 0
5. Virtual monitors will now allocate when you attempt to launch a Win32 application in Windows Mixed Reality instead of pre-allocating. To reset this and re-enable virtual monitor pre-allocation, return the DWORD "Value data" to 1.
6. Restart computer.

image.png.af8b88b57fc45ddf876a85b257a95f44.png

Source 1 u/NEMRCMDY
Source 2 Microsoft's Mixed Reality Enthusiast Guide

"You sneaky little bastards aren't getting doodly sh*t from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185."-Slim Pickens-The movie-1941

Offline _AH_Hollywood

• Global Moderator
  • BOX? DON'T BE SCARED!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 05:10:18 AM »
Jack one last one

I can walk you through this.

### SteamVR settings ###
  Hide contents
Go to the SteamVR settings, enable "Advanced Settings".
settings.png.f3977e908a78c4604af6795a9dfa94bb.png
1) General: Keep Global Resolution at 100% (no effect on Vive Pro 2, see in its section how to disable Dynamic Resolution).
2) Video: Keep Global Resolution at 100% (no effect on Vive Pro 2, see in its section how to disable Dynamic Resolution).
>>> Video Setting Per Application: Press it and look for IL-2 Great Battles. Change your resolution per eye only here.
For example: If you have a Vive Pro 1, your physical resolution per eye is 1440 x 1600 ; horizontal x vertical.
Recommendation: 1.3x to 1.5x of the vertical physical resolution per eye, so that the distortion profiles are properly drawn. In our example: 1.3 x 1600 = 2080. So 1872 x 2080.
Maximum: As high as your hardware allows to keep 90Hz. Not higher than 1.5x of vertical physical res. In our example, the max would be 1.5x1600p = 2400. So 2160 x 2400.
:umnik2:Beyond that, objects start vanishing at ranges when they should not for headsets with less physical pixels than Reverb G1/G2!

HP Reverb G2: Try 60% if you have an RTX 3080 and go as high as your hardware allows.

Advanced Supersampling-Filter: Disable it. It blurs too much.
Pause VR while headset is inactive: Disabled.
3) Start/Close: Turn Screen Off: 5 Minutes, Turn Controllers Off: 5 Minutes, Close Steam after: Never.

Offline _AH_Jack

• Yellow Man
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 05:05:32 PM »
Thanks!  I don't know why Steam VR won't let me access setting for IL2 Great Battles, but I tried changing some settings for Steam VR home.  I'll try the VR later today.

Offline _AH_Hollywood

• Global Moderator
  • BOX? DON'T BE SCARED!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 12:38:57 AM »
We can trouble shoot next time we are on

Are you running steam as admin?

Offline _AH_Jack

• Yellow Man
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 08:37:09 PM »
Actually, if you plug in the VR headset first, the settings are accessible.   I found if I set the virtual monitors to 0, the VR would work until I joined a server.  Then the headset just went black, so I set it back to 1.