Video Cards

Started by _AH_*PODS*_RGAA, August 26, 2008, 02:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_*PODS*_RGAA

This is my new video card i just ordered with an antek 850 (4) 12volt rail power supply  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143147

I have a pci express evga 640MB 320 bit 8800gts core of 576 and freq. of 1800 for sale (3 or 4 months old) for $85.00 includes shipping and handling!

Fly'n is the second greatest thrill
known to man, Landing is the first!
  Major _AH_Rgaa
        A Flight
 www.aceshigh.ws

_Deuce_

Bought!

If it will SLI with an 8800 GTS 320MB 320 bit. I think it will.

Get with me in vent RGaa

_AH_*PODS*_RGAA

Sorry Duec ... the card has been sold right before yr post ..

Major _AH_Rgaa
        A Flight
 www.aceshigh.ws

_AH_Rezak

~S~ to ALL
J have just small problem with my new ATI Readeon 4870 510 Mb DDR5 Video Card.
#1: I can not keep "WATER=4" in conf.ini . 4 get reduce to 1. I am able to keep
    "WATER=2", but I want WATER=4. There is any fix for that? I have newest driver.
Sincerely, _AH_Rezak

If Your enemies  will not fear You, they will laugh at You!

_AH_Duff4r

The ATI can be difficult with an OpenGL game like IL-2 1946, yet they are Kick Arse in many other venues.

I don't think you can attain "Perfect Mode" or get to water 4.  Sorry!  Maybe someone here is running one and can tell you more.  My knowledge of ATI is sketchy from like 8 years ago.

FWIW if it wasn't for this Game...I would be running an ATI.

This game makes for strange "bed-fellows", right Jack?

:happy-112: Just kidding of course

Have a Good Week,

_AH_Rezak

HI
Thx Durff, I tried to find some information on Google, but not a lot of help.
I just got this card to try it becouse with NVIDIA is diffrent problem if  You run the game in perfect mod + water=4. Some strange things show up on water. Looks like squre of bright light color. In water =2 everything is ok.
I did not have any problems to run Perfect Mod with ATI card.
I am back to my SLI mod with 2 GeForce 9800- they run HOT.
Sincerely, _AH_Rezak
If Your enemies  will not fear You, they will laugh at You!

_AH_Moby

~S~ Gents!

Video card question.....  how would the size of the memory on video card affect fps or the speed of the display?  I see all types of cards offering 256Mb, 512Mb and 1Gb and 2 Gb of memory.  I have an older Intel P-4 3.4 Ghz processor andf a newer 22" LCD monitor and was wondering if I upgraded to a 1Gb video card opposed to the 256Mb I have now, would that increase fps, resolution properties, ability to display the game or anything for that matter??? (My current card is an ATI Radeon X850XT, PCI express).  Don't ask what I did to my new ATI Radeon HD 4850..... :idiot-0011:

~S~ and thanks for any info or experience you can relay regarding my question!

Mobes.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

_AH_BBQhead

S~.

the short answer is... more video ram = better graphics performance.

the medium length answer is...    There are other considerations too. The video cards also have their own processors (GPU's) and data buses (Pipes) .. .. last time i looked that's what they were calling them anyway .. so you want to check the speed of the card's GPU, number of pipes, and the speed of the ram that's on the video card..way back when they were calling the video card processors Graphic Processing Units, they were also calling Video Ram VRAM... you know.. back in the day..

you eventually reach a point of diminishing returns though.
  the thing is your CPU(s), RAM, and Mobo all affect performance as well. What i have found is eventually you can  add more video card than your system can take advantage of. the system tops out and you just won't get the graphics boost you had hoped for once the video card outpaces the overall system.

if you've got a decent rig..and want better graphics ... it seems to cost about 10$ for each  one frame per second increase.. with no guarantees.    (kooky)   

very general info.. but i figure the guys that know more about the high end cards will add more specific info for you.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_*PODS*_RGAA

Moby ... In my experience ... Nvidia is the way to go ... i have had ati and nvidia ... .... I run the X260 OC2 Nvidia (BFG)right now (sweet card) fps locked at 60 cuz that is what my refresh rate is and that is with anistopic & antiliasing at 16 ... doesnt drop below that with everything maxed out in IL2 even on black death! Not knowing what yr budget is ... this card goes for about 300$ right now but if you are looking for more bang for the buck 8800 gts 640MB - 320 bit does a great job. and goes for just under 200$ U.S. and yes brands do make a difference ... I have always trusted BFG, Leadteck, and AVG ... wouldnt go with anything under a 8800 and a GT is so so ... GTS or GTX 8800 and above ... or you prob will be disapointed bro .... S!

Major _AH_Rgaa
        A Flight
 www.aceshigh.ws

_AH_Duff4r

Quote from: _AH_*PODS*_RGAA on December 04, 2008, 12:19:20 AM
Moby ... In my experience ... Nvidia is the way to go ... i have had ati and nvidia ... .... I run the X260 OC2 Nvidia (BFG)right now (sweet card) fps locked at 60 cuz that is what my refresh rate is and that is with anistopic & antiliasing at 16 ... doesnt drop below that with everything maxed out in IL2 even on black death! Not knowing what yr budget is ... this card goes for about 300$ right now but if you are looking for more bang for the buck 8800 gts 640MB - 320 bit does a great job. and goes for just under 200$ U.S. and yes brands do make a difference ... I have always trusted BFG, Leadteck, and AVG ... wouldnt go with anything under a 8800 and a GT is so so ... GTS or GTX 8800 and above ... or you prob will be disapointed bro .... S!

Good points Moby!

I use a VERY high-end LCD 19" monitor.  No, it's NOT widescreen.  Want more FPS?  My monitor has the capability to go to 75hz refresh rate.  That's 15 higher than Moby and so...I get 15 more FPS, simple heh?  I too totally believe that you must run VSYNC on with Triple buffering.  I too run AA and AF at 16.
Here's where moby an I differ a tiny bit.  The cards he quoted are good but the 8800GT 512 Super Clocked will beat either of them hans down.  I know, I have one.  No reason to buy that though.  Newegg has this 9800GT 512 Super Clocked on sale for $189.00 newegg.com although they are currently "Out of Stock".

I have had both ATI and NVIDIA.  If this is your main game then go NVIDIA.  NVIDIA just runs OpenGL better!

Good Luck!

Duff4r

_AH_Moby

~S~!  You guys are awesome as usual!!!  I plan on a reformat over the holidays and we'll see how good Santa is to me, but I think he'll be dropping off something from his Nvidia bag and leaving under my under my tree....lol!!!   Thank you agian gents, cleared a bunch of issues up for me and hopefully others!!!

~S~!

Mobes.

_AH_*PODS*_RGAA

The cards he quoted are good but the 8800GT 512 Super Clocked will beat either of them hans down.

I agree to disagree Duf the leadteck 8800 GTS 640 MB with the DDR3 ram OC (overclocked) is close in comparison with the 8800 GTS 512 (S standing for super clocked)   and can get at www.newegg.com for close to same price as that 512MB .... but the X260 OC2 way out performs the GTS 8800 512  and the 8800 GTS 640MB.... here are the specs on all 3 cards talked about.

512MB
XFX PVT88GYDF4 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Core clock: 650MHz
Stream Processors: 128
Memory Clock: 1940MHz
DirectX: DirectX 10
OpenGL: OpenGL 2.0
DVI: 2
TV-Out: HDTV / S-Video Out

640MB
Brand EVGA
Model 640-P2-N829-AR
Interface
Interface PCI Express x16
Chipset
Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA
GPU GeForce 8800 GTS
Core clock 576MHz
Stream Processors 96
Memory
Memory Clock 1800MHz
Memory Size 640MB
Memory Interface 320-bit
Memory Type GDDR3
3D API
DirectX DirectX 10
OpenGL OpenGL 2.0
Ports
DVI 2
TV-Out HDTV / S-Video Out
General
RAMDAC 400 MHz
Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
RoHS Compliant Yes
SLI Supported Yes
Cooler With Fan
Power Connector 6 Pin
Dual-Link DVI Supported Yes
Windows Vista Certified for Windows Vista
HDCP Ready Yes
Packaging
Package Contents 640-P2-N829-AR
Driver Disk
User Manual
HDTV Cable
S-Video Cable
Power Cable
2 x DVI to VGA/D-sub Adapter
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts Lifetime limited
Labor Lifetime limited

X260
Brand BFG Tech
Model BFGEGTX260896OC2E
Interface
Interface PCI Express 2.0 x16
Chipset
Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA
GPU GeForce GTX 260
Core clock 630MHz (vs. 576MHz standard)
Stream Processors 192 processing cores
Memory
Memory Clock 2126MHz (vs. 1998MHz standard)
Memory Size 896MB
Memory Interface 448-bit
Memory Type GDDR3
3D API
DirectX DirectX 10
OpenGL OpenGL 2.1
Ports
HDMI 1 via Adapter
DVI 2
TV-Out HDTV / S-Video Out
General
RAMDAC 400 MHz
Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
SLI Supported Yes
Cooler With Fan
System Requirements 525W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 38A or more*
Two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors -or- One 6-pin PCI Express and two 4-pin peripheral supplementary power connectors

NOTE: For the power requirements of multiple GeForce GTX 260-based graphics cards in an NVIDIA SLI configuration, please visit www.bfgtech.com/slipower
*Minimum system power requirement based on a PC configured with an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 processor
Power Connector 2 x 6 Pin
Dual-Link DVI Supported Yes
HDCP Ready Yes
Packaging
Package Contents BFGEGTX260896OC2E
Driver Disk
HDTV Cable
Power Cable
DVI to VGA/D-sub Adapter
DVI to HDMI Adapter
S/PDIF Cable

the main thing is check out your stream proccessors , core clock , freq, and ram
owned all 3 cards listed

lol .... anything over 30fps you prob wont see  dif with the naked eye ... keeping refresh rate at 60 is easier on my eyes ... especialy when in front of a comp for longer periods ... most monitors average between 60 - 75 .. yes even the cheaper ones. As my LG does ... thinking Moby has issues with lag in game ... fps dropping in low teens and even single digits when in certain missions ... were a better video card with the right settings will resolve the issue ... providing its not the ram or processor (grins) but a better video card certainly helps. Moby if I dont lock my refresh rate with my fps ..... my fps is off the wall ... when in other missions where I hear people say they are getting studders and lag ... I dont drop below 60fps where I am locked at. S! bud ... my suggestion( pick on video) would be ther BFG 9800 GX2 or the GTX 260 - 280 BFG ... they will rock your world! lmao

Major _AH_Rgaa
        A Flight
 www.aceshigh.ws

_AH_Moby

~S~ Rgaa/BBQ!

Thanks for making my choices that much more complicated!!!  LOL!!  I will let you know what I get soon, but it will definitely be a Nvidia card of some sort, but definitely a 8800/9800 GT Super clocked or better, depends what I can get at the time... I am starting to think that my system is feeling it's age and it's time to update the processor.... I ws hitting 79-80 fps in game with my ATI radeon HD 4850, dropping to 28-30 on the low side over cities in 4.09, that was where I want to be obviously, just want to get back there with the new card and my older system.

Thanks for the advice, muchly appreciated!

~S~! Mobes.