Need help in lowering fps.... general settings in the conf.ini file...

Started by _AH_Moby, August 31, 2008, 06:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Moby

Gents!!!

With all the recent conversation about fps and drivers and such....  what's your general take on the settings that can be "easily" changed that lower fps.... without really lowering the "general quality of the game??  I am a big fan of the water being on the higher settings, which my new vid card can support, but I have to lower it to "0" to get only a slight increase in fps.... what other settings can I change that will cause my fps to go up, what works for you???  I know this is a broad question, but I am not sure what settings can be lowered and reflect a half decently portrayed game....  I have no problem sacrificing one setting for another, but I have to do "something" because it's driving me nuts with the fps I am getting and what I know my puter can provide.....  arrgghhh!!!!  I have tried a few generic things that we have talked about before, but I am hoping that someone may be able to introduce something else that I haven't tried yet that will help with increasing my fps....     :help-sos-sos-29402:

~S~!

Mobes

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

_AH_BBQhead

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Duff4r

I will reply to this more soon but....for now in the conf.ini the biggest difference will be seen by setting water=1 and effects=1

[Render_OpenGL] <----------Make sure your here!
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=1

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=2
Water=1 <-------------here
Effects=1 <------------here

ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

_AH_Duff4r

The next thing is Video drivers and support programs:

How to change a Video driver:

First, find a new set of drivers here: Guru3D.com  Select and download a new set of drivers for your card, ATI or NVIDIA.  Download them to your desktop.

Second, Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper I don't care which one you use they are both good.

Third, Go to Control Panel, Add/remove Programs.  Find and uninstall your NVIDIA or ATI drivers.

Fourth, restart your computer (you will be asked to) and as it shuts down, Press the F8 key repeatedly.  This will put you in the "Safe Mode" menu.  Select "Safe Mode", the one on top.  Select your account or Admin.  Once in "Safe Mode" start and run either Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper.  Select your video card, ATI or NVIDIA and run it.

Fifth, Reboot your computer normally and install the new drivers (FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON SCREEN).  If you get a message saying that the drivers are "Not Supported by Microsoft" select "continue anyway".  Trust me you will be OK!  Reboot as directed.

Finally, you will need to setup your refresh rates and resolutions.  Reboot again!

TIPs:  If you run a LCD set the refresh rate for as high as it will go, generally 72 or 75.  60 is default but generally the WORST choice.  Yes you will increase you FRs by setting it higher.

NVIDIA GUYS DO THIS!

Anyone not running nHancer is missing the boat!!  This is an addon for more settings for your drivers.  It enhances the Control panel Options.

Main Settings:

Enhancements Tab:
Select Anti Aliasing mode:  Multisampling and X4 to start with <---tweak this first (try different settings)
Select Anisotropic Filtering: X4 <---tweak this next (try different settings)
Enable VSYNC and "Force OpenGL Triple Buffer"

Optimizations Tab:
Texture filtering <-----Try them all!  I use Hi-Quality with my NVIDIA 8800GT SC

Compatibility Tab:
Enable (HDR) High Dynamic range
Conformant Texture Clamp On
Reported OpenGL version set to 2.1
OpenGL Multi-display mode set to Optimize for single display modes unless your using more than one monitor.

JAVA

Go to your Windows Control Panel and select Java by double-clicking on it.  The second Tab is "update".  Update your Java if necessary.

IL-2 1946 is a JAVA based game.  Go to your IL-2 1946 Install and click on the "bin" folder you are looking for two java files.  One is java.exe the other is javaw.exe RENAME these to java_ORIG.exe and javaw_ORIG.exe  Got it?  Now go to Windows\system32 and locate the same two files.  Copy them to the desktop then move them to your IL-2 1946 Install "bin" folder.

DLL's

There are 5 sets of DLL's here: AAA DLL's

unzip the files, each set to their own folder. Then look at the files in one of the folders. One is called il2_corep4.dll, the other is il2_core.dll. Navigate to your main Il2 folder (NOT your mods folder).
Look for two files in your main folder with the same names as the files in your download.  Copy these and put the copies in a safe place as a backup. <------- U been Warned!!
Now go back to one of you sets of downloaded files- copy the two .dll files into you main il2 folder, overwriting the ones you earlier backed up.
That's all there is to it.  Try flying a couple of missions and notice what changes in graphics or frame rates occur with each one. Anytime you want to try a new set of .dlls, just copy and overwrite the new ones in there.

FYI I am using the ones from 3/13/08.

S~  Questions?  There will be a 30 question test online later this evening.

The Professor  :happy-026:

_AH_DarkWolf

Oh come on guys, no one has nailed him on the "lowering fps"???

Hell, you wanna lower your FPS crank your AA and AF up to 16x, crank the resolution up to the max your monitor can take, take out half your ram and run as many other programs in the background while playing.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Duff4r

Remember D-Dub...He's got you  :happy-112: I figure to cut him some slack...at least a little.

Duff

_AH_Rumely

:thinking-008: :thinking-008: :thinking-008: You what to lower your frame rate?  (roll) you can always downgrade your computer at the second hand store.

I couldn't help my self. :happy-112:

_AH_Moby

I knew he'd catch that one...!!!   I love the return I get on those typos!!!!   

Thanks Duff, I am going out of my head but I will execute the directions and the driver clean out you posted and run the programs and keep swapping out the dll's till I find the set that works best after I try the tweaks.... god I hope it helps....

Signed,

Frustrated with my Frame rates in Canada.

Mobes   :happy-112:

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

_AH_BBQhead

S~ I think i figured out why DW and Moby get along the way they do.. seems they used to work together... i was leafing through some old magazines and found this.. 

apparently there was some tension.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_Olds

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Johnny

...if it's just for fun, why do they keep points?

_AH_Bong

LT._AH_Bong
"Reserve" Flight
Aces High

_AH_*PODS*_RGAA

Fly'n is the second greatest thrill
known to man, Landing is the first!
  Major _AH_Rgaa
        A Flight
 www.aceshigh.ws

_AH_BigChief

Hi All,
Need a little help here trying to get my frame rates up a little. Running an intel p4 w 2gig memory and 2.8 processor. Have an HD2400 ati card.

After typing in fps START SHOW to see my frame rates within the game and then going back to chat menu. I happened to notice this:

INTERNAL ERROR Str2FloatClamp()-clamped 3->2 (delta =1 to range 0..2

Anyone know what in the world that means?! It did that 3-4 times within just flying around for a few minutes.

Outside of the cockpit my frame rates are about 106. Within the cockpit frame rates drop drastically to about 6-8 and causes the game to stutter really bad.

Anyone have any ideas about getting them up within the cockpit?

I've updated Java and did what was listed up above for ati cards and it did increase my frame rates outside the cockpit from 40 to 106 but nothing within cockpit.

Any suggestions outside of buying a new card(cant afford right now) would be greatly appreciated.

Salute!

BigChief

_AH_BigChief

o.k
Noticed something else.

Warning: Bad water if MapRID= = 0

Any clue?

_AH_BBQhead

i get that bad water thing, too...ever since we went to 409...  i have always seen error messages when i look at that white text.. can't find chunk.. house without a collision,  a bunch of others.. they don't really seem to interfere with anything.. and no matter how many times i install the game or change the settings they are always there..

as for frames..  a lot of it depends on resolution... and of course your  video options within the game.

Duff4r posted his video settings from his config.ini somewhere around here..   interestingly.. my settings were exactly what he had except for two.. water and effects..  try setting your water to one and effects to two in the config ini..  and see how that does for ya.. 

to see what's working and what's not.. try playing the black death track and note your frame rate.. then make a change, run the black death track again..  and see if it's better or worse.. it's 'the' track for testing video settings.. gives you a consistent reference to work from.