Sound Cards

Started by _AH_Olds, September 06, 2008, 06:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Olds

I'm considering buying a sound card, but am having a difficult time finding something that is not too expensive, and has the features I need. I'm looking for something with a coaxial digital port, as my speakers don't support optical, and I don't want to buy new (don't think I could get much better than the ADA885's...they're awesome!). Also looking for something with a connection for front panel audio. The only cards that I see that meet the bill is the Audigy 2 ZS (you need an RCA to mini plug adapter for it to work), Auzentech X-Fi Prelude and X-Meridian (very expensive and the Meridian is hard to find), and the Audigy 4. I'm still not sure if the front panel connector will work on the Audigy. Sound cards can be confusing. (roll) Any input is appreciated.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Hornet

1. What bus-type are you using? PCI? PCI-E?
2. What's your price range?
3. What type of front panel are you looking for? Just an 1/8" headphone/mic jack?

_AH_Olds

Hornet, recently purchased an Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 cinema PCI card. The sound is incredible. Got it for $99 with a $30 rebate. No problems with it so far. The company also gave an extended warranty for products purchased before Sep. 30, which makes it a 2 year warranty. Really pleased with it so far. I use a splitter cable for the headphone jack (connected to the front port, which is all you get from the front panel anyway). Pretty cool to hear a plane crossing from side to side in your headphones!
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Hornet

Once you know, you newegg, eh? That looks like a really nice card.