Misc Images

Started by _AH_DarkWolf, July 09, 2007, 03:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_BBQhead

S~

Sure the first pix of Mercury are cool, but at about 2 minutes into this 4 minute vid, he starts to talk about the Kepler Mission (looking for Earthlike planets).  Very nice graphic of what Kepler has seen so far (that's what's in the thumbnail pic), and a reasonable estimate of 2,000,000,000 Earthlike planets in the Milky Way Galaxy alone.

Space Fan News #16: First Images of Mercury; All of Kepler's Planets; Number of Earths in Our Galaxy

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Autorotate

its neat that we've found these now. because then the people at the SETI monitoring stations instead of aiming just old anywhere in the sky can aim their big ears and listen for aliens  on vent arguing about smokers from another world!!!!  (glasses) (glasses) (glasses) (glasses)

_AH_DarkWolf

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Autorotate

this doesnt seem right ?! ! (roll) (roll) (roll)

http://www.325thfg.org/

great read about the checkertail squadron the one we're flying

_AH_Killerbanjo

are those p40s on a carrier?
Bollocks is a word of Anglo-Saxon origin, meaning "testicles". The word is often used figuratively in British English, as a noun to mean "nonsense", an expletive following a minor accident or misfortune, or an adjective to mean "poor quality" or "useless".

_AH_Col._Hogan

Yup, being ferried to a land base.

S!

_AH_Killerbanjo

I would have loved to have seen "Scramble! Scramble! and the pilots would be like "WTF!?!?"  :lol
Bollocks is a word of Anglo-Saxon origin, meaning "testicles". The word is often used figuratively in British English, as a noun to mean "nonsense", an expletive following a minor accident or misfortune, or an adjective to mean "poor quality" or "useless".

_AH_Autorotate

Quote from: _AH_Killerbanjo on April 05, 2011, 07:58:10 PM
I would have loved to have seen "Scramble! Scramble! and the pilots would be like "WTF!?!?"  :lol

there ya go :D

Curtiss P 40 take off from aircraft carrier

_AH_Gonzo

P-40's were flown off of carriers to land bases during the African Campaign, Spits (Non carrier types) were flown off of carriers to Malta quite a few times, and P-47's were flown off of carriers during the invasion of Saipan.

QuoteOn 23 June Manila Bay came under enemy air attack during refueling operations east of Saipan. Two fighter bombers attacked her from dead ahead, dropping four bombs which exploded wide to port. Intense anti-aircraft fire suppressed further attacks; and, as a precautionary and rather unusual move which Admiral Spruance later characterized as "commendable initiative", Manila Bay launched four of the Army P-47's she was ferrying to fly protective CAP until radar screens were clear of contacts

Another fun fact... Almost every USAF aircraft during WWII was carrier evaluated. The most promising being nasalized versions of the P-40 and the P-51.

Yet another fun fact... The P-47 could easily have been modified for carrier use as it's under carriage and approach speeds were well within the required limits. It's main draw back was it's weight. It could be operated at such a heavy weight that upon landing it could actually damage the deck of an aircraft carrier!

"I wish I was who I was when I wanted to be what I am today" - Jimi Hendrix

_AH_Autorotate

_AH_DarkWolf

Is'nt that Dev at the last carrier fly in?

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Autorotate

Quote from: _AH_DarkWolf on April 05, 2011, 11:40:31 PM
Is'nt that Dev at the last carrier fly in?

DW

no this is...

_AH_Doc

Thats him alright. :lol

_AH_Autorotate

The Boeing XB-15 was a United States bomber aircraft designed in 1934 as a test for the United States Army Air Corps to see if it would be possible to build a heavy bomber with a 5,000 mile range. It was originally designated the XBLR-1 (experimental bomber, long range). When it first flew, it was the most massive and most voluminous airplane ever built in the United States. First flight 1937.

_AH_DarkWolf

You almost think it's B-17 sized at first glance, then you realize the engines look tiny.  :thinking-008:

DW