Misc Images

Started by _AH_DarkWolf, July 09, 2007, 03:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Autorotate

48th, very tiny. 9 inch wingspan.
haven't put one of these together since i was about 15, it's good fun!  :happy-026:

_AH_gatlingun

~S

Oh yeah,I know,used to build them all the time. I am building models of vintage nascar race cars now.
_AH_Gatlingun

_AH_Autorotate

Quote from: _AH_gatlingun on October 25, 2012, 06:40:54 PM
~S

Oh yeah,I know,used to build them all the time. I am building models of vintage nascar race cars now.

layer one of weathering on now and layer two of weathering and main skin coloring about to go on now.
i thought the tail stripes were hard but i'm now realizing the AH logo, lettering and nose art will be extremely difficult.  :give-me-beer-0034:

_AH_DarkWolf

I like 1/48 scale stuff myself.

I just finished that invasion striped Spitfire IX a couple weeks ago.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Nimble

good stuff there DW...I havent seen any good models for some time.... they just dont seem to be of the same quality I remember... unless you go to a really good hobby shop...  nice job on these  tho... what  is the makers name ?????....
you have quite a nice collection my friend
:drinking-43:

_AH_taldrg

~S~
      Here them come boys!
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_Autorotate

_AH_DarkWolf

All depends on the manufacturer and the age of the mold, Nimbles. You mostly get what you pay for.

In that picture the Spitfire IX coded 2I-E is a Revell re-boxing of the Hasegawa kit. It has issues with being a little short in the fuselage.  :unhappy-059:

The one coded AE-J is a Spitfire XIV from Hobbycraft. It's a very basic kit with not alot of detail.

The Spitfire XII coded DL-K is a new Airfix kit that came out in the last couple years. It's a brand new mold and is of fantastic quality.

The blue nosed P-51D is a Tamiya kit. Tamiya is generally more pricey but are excellent kits, hard to find fault with them.

The P-47 and P-38 you can see bits of and the Mosquito and Typhoon are all Monogram\Revell kits. The Monogram\Revell kits are cheaper but vary greatly in quality. Alot of them date from the 60s and have some detail and engineering issues. The US navy ones in particular were designed as much as toys as scale models. The landing gear can fold up and down and same with the wings but they had to add all kinds of little tabs and things to support this which make em look wierd.

The F6F-3 in the far corner is an Airfix boxing of an old Otaki kit. Not a bad kit at all but I made a mess of this one.

I also have a Monogram B-17F I built a million years ago. Even though they are old they are still the only 1/48 fortresses out there I think and are still great kits.

My "To build" pile is getting kind of silly. I've got:

Monogram B-17G
Monogram P-47D
Academy P-47D
Tamiya F4U-1D
Tamiya Lancaster BIII
Revell P-40B/C
Revell SBD-3
Revell Spitfire Mk.I/II
Revell F4U-4 (I had thoughts of converting this into an F4U-1D before I just bought the Tamiya kit)
Revell Typhoon 1B
Revell Wildcat (Very old boxing of an F4F-3)
Revell F6F-5 (Very new boxing of an old kit. Typical half model half toy problems and the shell eject ports are super long...grr.)
Italeri TBF/TBM 1
Academy Spitfire Mk.XIV

I also have a Trumpeter 1/700 scale USS Yorktown CV-10 and Fujimi USS Saratoga of similar scale but the later has some detail issues..

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Nimble

Holy Cow!!..... I havent built  a good model in many years ... gave it up in my early 20s....   girls replaced that interest... now Im old... so I can revert back to my childhood...lol I remember the Revelle models..but Ive only heard how good some of the japanese models are... I think I might just drop by the local hobby shops and take a look at them. Thankyou so very much for your input...   way back when I trended from the scale models into flyable radio control ones.... built two real nice ones but berfore I could fly them.... I had a problems with a live in girlfriend and she made them fit into a small waste basket..... ohhh the pain of it all!! I have a nice hobby table I intend to put together in my bedroom...for this kind of work...rainy day stuff..... right now Im working on some firearm modifications  and mounting scopes on them....but models are truely fun... I just have to get re aquainted with the process. By the way.. your work is much like your flying... very good.... thanks for the pictures....I enjoyed them greatly :happy-112:

_AH_DarkWolf

Quote from: _AH_Nimble on October 26, 2012, 10:35:22 PM
but Ive only heard how good some of the japanese models are...

The Tamiya ones in paticular are very nice. But shhh! We don't want TD to hear us...

DW

_AH_Col._Hogan

_AH_Boosher

P-63 actually. Cool photo!

_AH_Autorotate

called the Bell L-39
http://thanlont.blogspot.com/2011/04/bell-l-39-wing-sweep-evaluation.html

Two war surplus P-63Cs were modified by Bell under Navy contract for flight testing of low-speed and stall characteristics of high-speed wing designs. The aircraft received new wings with adjustable leading edge slats, trailing edge flaps and a pronounced sweep of 35 degrees. The wings had no wheel wells; only the nose gear was retractable. L-39-1 first flew 23 April 1946, demonstrating a need for extra tail surface and rear fuselage length to balance the aircraft in flight - the wing repositioning reduced empennage effectiveness and moved the center of lift aft. A lighter three-bladed propeller from a P-39Q-10 was mounted and the necessary changes to the empennage were made. L-39-2 incorporated these adjustments from the start. L-39-1 later went to NACA at Langley for wind tunnel testing, where much valuable data were gathered. L-39-2 also served as a testbed for the Bell X-2 40-degree wing design.

_AH_Autorotate

the storm is unleashing catastrophic devastation here...  :help-sos-sos-29402: :help-sos-sos-29402: :help-sos-sos-29402: :help-sos-sos-29402:

_AH_Nimble

Nice electric trampoline there :help-sos-sos-29402: