to _AH_Viper..... air-to-air combat training, please?

Started by _AH_crash, September 13, 2008, 07:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_crash

To _AH_Viper.....air combat training please?

After carefully analyzing my own performance while playing against both AI and other _AH_ members I have come to an official conclusion:
My flying stinks.
Seriously, I need help not only in many basic plane handling skills and gunnery, but in the nuance of tactics with regard to being a good wingman or element leader. Often, it feels like I don't really know WHAT to do in order to be an effective supporting member of the flight during a dogfight, or what to do in order to effectively lead an element during same. In flying with fellas like Gonzo, yourself, Johnny, Foxbat, Moggy, etc. it seems like they often know what to do several moves IN ADVANCE in order to get a kill or support their leader. I feel like I'm mostly simply reacting to situations as they come up, a tactic that often gets me either: A) killed or B) renders me ineffective in giving the critical support to my leader when he needs it. It's a situation that is both (slightly) embarrassing and (totally) demoralizing.
A few weeks ago, you had brought up the possibility of conducting a air-to-air combat training program that might help folks like me who need some more work on their tactics. I absolutely support this idea and would like to volunteer my skills as a mission designer to build anything you may need to get this program rolling. I'm hoping that other members of _AH_ would like to see something like this happen and will add their support and encouragement to your idea. It's a terrific concept, Viper, and I know I would benefit from it immensely. Whatever I can offer to make it happen, I am offering.
crash   

_AH_MOAB

~S~
DITTO on the crappy fighter pilots abilities and I would love to participate in any air to air combat training.

Foxbat

S! Count me in. Vipes, just let us know what night you think would be good for this.

_AH_Gonzo

S! Vipes, all. Just throwing my two cents in.

Recently our squadron has really grown and I'm seeing pilots with all different levels of experience and capabilities. One thing I do believe we're lacking is some basic knowledge on how to work inside of and lead a flight (usually 4 aircraft) or a section (usually 2 aircraft). Not only while in combat but also when going from point A to point B. Initially I was planning some very basic training for A Flight but I truly think it would be a great benefit to all.

For those that are interested, I'll be hosting a couple of session early on in October (Probably around the second weekend) regarding the following:

Formations types & uses,
Flight and Element positions,
Individual roles in a Flight or Element,
Leading a Flight or Element,
Formations types & uses,
Navigation (Both visual and instrument),
Aircraft performance and limitations.

With Viper's permission I'd like to run these sessions in conjunction with the wingman and combat tactics training he has planned.

Most of the stuff will be discussion format with the use of ATC for diagrams and such but there will be a little bit of flying in order to demonstrate certain aspects and considerations when operating as a group.

"I wish I was who I was when I wanted to be what I am today" - Jimi Hendrix

_AH_Stiffy

count me in, cuz lets face it........i stink (at flying, i just showered, so at just flying :surprised-in-shower-006:)

_AH_Gator

S! Guys your right  stiffy I do the same thing show up and fly with the guys

_AH_tomtom

Man I wish I could participate in this....I need some areas of improvement but could also help out in formations and 1 on 1 scenarios.  At least I think I shot fox and johnny once a year or so lol.  Also I would recommend to the senior officials that we make this an actual part of the aces high website like a training section so newcommer can do some research.  Also with a previous squardron, they would make this a requirement before you could even be considered to be an official member. 

"Lord, if you won't make me skinny, please make all my friends fat."

_AH_Boosher

I already have some gunnery training missions built. If you guys want them for practice, please just ask.

_AH_Homicide

Count me in!  My biggest hurdle is keeping my wing lead/wingman in sight...bogies too!

_AH_Zipzag

CFS1 was along time ago for me, Been into FS series pretty heavy , but hey thats a whole differnt world, Im pretty green at being able to handle these planes effeciently , And to be honest Ive only flown with you Gent's online thats about it for my online exeriance and in realistic mode to boot, boy did that throw me for a whammy, but over the past few weeks and with the tips i get form you guy's my planes handle much better, thanks !, And the best for me so far 2 confermed kill's last nite, finally got some good point's on the board , and that's all thanks to you guy's mostly .

Ill definatly show up for class, think how much better ill get ,  :cool:

_AH_crash

Gonzo, Viper, Foxbat....... hell,  anyone! Let me know anything you need to help out making this program happen and I'll do it!

_AH_Viper

I've sent out the plane set to you Crash so The balls in your court for now.  I'll run what I have for the time being.
''

_AH_Toccs

I would be willing to help anyone who wants to practice combat flight maneuvers.   1 v 1 is best, guns cold or hot, just have fun. The idea is to share techniques for dealing with the enemy on your terms, not his, so that you have the best chance of winning the engagement. I also hope to learn from you, but then I am old and slow. (tongue)