Progress made on lock-ups..getting better...

Started by _AH_Olds, October 05, 2008, 12:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Olds

Did the BIOS update last night (it worked - I still have a computer). Got the burner to work with Deep Burner, although the default windows burner still says it  is just a cd-rom  :thinking-008: weird. The Bios update also did away with one of the LAN ports I had installed at the beginning (Nvidia LAN). I just use the Gigabyte...wish I'd not put the other in to start with. I had been getting errors related to the Forceware services, and the Nvidia Firewall. I uninstalled the Forceware network rmanager (didn't need it), and disabled the services - even with the manager not there, it would still be listed as Automatic in the Services tab. So far, no errors. I did have one bluescreen after the BIOS update (machine_check_exception), but I think that was because I was trying to do too much at once (had burner running, checking things...ooops). Hasn't happened since. I did fly in the Skies of Valor server with DealinDave, Big Chief, and Nimble for awhile, and tried the track offline, with no lockups. So far, so good. I might host a room with the practice track up just to see if it will work (standard pw protect on). Hopefully, I'm getting somewhere. Thanks for the help, guys. It is much appreciated.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_BBQhead

S~. Good to hear you're making progress, Olds.   

from what you've been telling us, my suspicions of failing hardware some where in there are starting to fade..

when you opt for 'put the new board in and see what happens' method  instead of formatting  and  reinstalling everything, those are the kind of kinks one would expect at first.. sounds like you've about got it licked.  :cool:

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Olds

Ok, on the subject of possible failing hardware, here's another one. I think I got the pagefile problem solved (thanks Vipes), but I still get this one weird bug. It's in the event viewer and is listed as follows:

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x8054e5f0, 0xb2000000, 0x00070f0f). A full dump was not saved."

Could this be a hardware issue, possibly power supply? I'm using the dedicated connection for PCI-Express. When I look at the motherboard voltages, the 12V is listed at 11.78. I don't know how to tell what the PS voltage is. I've read a lot of pages on this topic, but am still confused. Most of them talk about hardware problems. I have a program called Everest Home, but don't know enough about it to tell what is wrong (downloaded it today). At this point, I am not getting a BSOD, just the information in the Event Viewer. It is not listed as an error, but it could be a problem. Any ideas? If reinstalling windows will fix it, then I'll reinstall.

P.S. Just rebooted, and the error comes up at startup. Doesn't seem to occur at any other times. One other note is that this board has a Silicon Image Raid Controller that I don't use, and is disabled both in BIOS and in the Device Management. For some reason, it keeps trying to prompt me when the machine boots up, even with it disabled. I'm not sure if this controller has anything to do with the error, or with the earlier freeze ups. Just FYI.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. well crap..

BugCheck 9C is a generic catch-all error code that indicates a hardware problem.. doesn't narrow it down much though... the usual suspects.. PSU, ram, cpu, system board...and just to make it even more interesting, drivers can be part of that problem. 

something easy to try, very slight chance it would fix it, but it only takes a minute to unplug the psu  from the back... then unplug and replug the power connections inside your case. especially especially the ones that go to the system board.   

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_Duff4r

OLDs...

Do I remember you replacing your RAM just recently??

A thought
Duff

_AH_Olds

BBQ, will do that. I seem to remember that the ATX plug gave me a bit of a fit when I first hooked it up...just wasn't seated quite right.

Duff, I did replace RAM, but had been having problems also. Maybe it's time to reseat some stuff just to be sure.

Thanks guys. Cya afterwhile.

_AH_Olds

Still getting the bugcheck error in the event viewer...it is just information, not a warning. I checked the cables, reseated, etc. No changes. It is  happening in the first 2 seconds of booting up, so I don't know if it's a windows problem or not. Thought I had the pagefile problem fixed, but this last startup had a bunch of errors in the pagefile...weird. Guess I'll try it to see what happens.

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. form the sound of it, you could end up chasing your tail on this one, olds.. like we talked about last night,, looks like at this point the format and install option would be easier.

_AH_Hornet

I agree with BBQ, however if this is a bluescreen problem, generally that's the result of a driver problem, not necessarily hardware. Considering you can get to event viewer now, I'm assuming it's a driver problem or conflict. What hardware have you recently installed? Also, it's a general rule of thumb not to upgrade BIOS stuff unless you're trying to fix a problem or add functionality.. so was there a problem before?

_AH_Olds

Yes, there was, Hornet. One of the errors appeared to be memory, and putting in new sticks of RAM seemed to fix it. Problem reappeared in other forms. I had video driver errors, but fixed that with a new driver. The BIOS update fixed the problem I had with not being able to burn disks (not to mention windows not recognizing the DVD), and since I was starting with a new BIOS, I was able to do away with the nvidia firewall by only installing software for the Gigabyte LAN port when I was prompted. I think that the forceware network access manager was why I was getting dumped out of games (it is no lionger there - uninstalled it).  Right now, the only warning I get is about a pagefile error (have swiched to let Windows manage pagefile, but it reappeared).

The save dump is just information about a bugcheck that happens during startup. I don't see any other hardware errors. When my external drive comes back, I'm going to save all my files and do a complete reformat/reinstall. That should take care of the pagefile issue and other things.

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. Hornet, in the beginning.... Olds dropped a new system board in.

_AH_Olds