Unified Installer Q & As

Started by _AH_Moby, October 27, 2008, 11:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Moby

~S~!  Here's my dumb kwestion for this day....  what about the "No CD" crack...???   Does it have it's place in the install process, like I would install it as per a fresh install and then the UI, or should I leave it exactly where it is and continue with the "dirty install"???

I plan a dirty install as per Duffr's instructions, not too worried about that part of it... but oh the kwestions I am coming up with....

I may have a list shortly.... 

(and I know I can count on DW for most of my answers, cuz he's like that!)

Sleeping today, will catch ya's on later tonight!

Mobes.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

_AH_Moby

:help2:

~S~ Duff!   Got a couple of questions that I should sort of explain.....  What I need to know before I help my Dad re-install his game and patch him up, he has just bought a sweet ride and has all the bells and whistles, so no prob running anything gamewise, for him anyway, but the questions I have pertains to the unified installer. 

I have three games installed on my puter, a 4.08m clean, a 4.08m modded, and a 4.09b modded (with the Unified installer and switcher).  I have tried the switcher on and off line on my puter for my 4.09b game, and it works wonderfully.  So I guess a couple of questions.... does the switcher read my previously installed 4.08 version when I select it, or does it just read files from my 4.09b game where the unified installer was put and run the 4.08 game from there?   

Also, if I help my dad install one "single" version of IL2 1946 and patch him up to 4.09b "with" the unified installer, will the switcher work for him by being able to run all the versions of 4.08 and 4.09 as he selects them from the single install???  (He will also be using TrackIR as he has in the past, if that's a consideration as well...)

I am of the opinion that it would be possible for my dad in his case, as I have tried switching between both the modded and un-modded versions of 4.08 and 4.09 in my puter, but I am unsure if the switcher/unified installer is playing the game from my previously installed 4.08 game, or simply running the 4.08 game from my 4.09 version which has the UI and switcher installed....  Clear as mud???  I guess I just need some clarification on whether more than one version of the game is needed, or just the single 4.09b version with the UI and the switcher. 

If that is the case, I hope to back up my other 4.08m versions and put them on my external HD and take them off my puter, freeing up some space and only running the one 4.09b modded version with the switcher.

Thanks Duff, and thanks to anyone else who can help!!!!!

See you up there!

~S~!

Mobes.

_AH_BBQhead

S~. the switcher plays all versions from the same folder.    after sunday's meeting.. i am going to dump my modded 408 and non unified  409b1m to clear some disc space.   

i will then have just the original install ( from disc,Plus the 408m patch),  clean as a whistle for a back up in case of catastrophic game failure.... and the unified install... which will play 408, 408 modded, 409, and 409 modded via the switcher... and because they all play form the same folder... no repointing of hyperlobby.. 

now that i'm thinking about it... i might have to make a copy of the unified 409 for testing new stuff... add on planes, etc. 

i hope that answers your question, Moby.   

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Duff4r

So I guess a couple of questions.... does the switcher read my previously installed 4.08 version when I select it, or does it just read files from my 4.09b game where the unified installer was put and run the 4.08 game from there?

==>Answer:  The only difference between 4.08m, 4.08m Modded, 4.09bm, and 4.09bm Modded is 2 files they are....files.sfs and il2fb.exe.  The switcher switches those 2 files in and out depending on which one of the 4 versions you select.

TrackIR could care less because it's always seeing the il2fb.exe.  It will always work.

For your dad.  Install from DVD that is 4.07m.  Upgrade to 4.08m.  Install the Unified Installer.  Draw a "sortcut" to the IL2Versionswitcher to the desktop, it's in the IL2 main folder and your done!

Easy...Need more? Ask,
Duff

_AH_Moby

~S~!

All questions answered in full, and I love you guys!!!!!  Always and forever, but not in a gay way....ummm....sorry, can you tell I just got back form a night of carousing and copious amounts of fine liquor being forced down my neck...???

Thank you so very much for simplifying EVERYTHING!!!!!!    This UI is going to make things so much easier, and with guys like you two around, this is definitely the best place to be online!!!!  Oh crap, rambling, emotional outpouring..... sorry, I should go to bed..... done!   :drinking-29:

See you up there!!!

And thank you again gents!!!

Cheers!

Mobes.

_AH_Duff4r

PLEASE keep this thread CLEAN! Problems Only...Thanks!
Gents the day is here.  It's raining cats and dogs in Idaho so I will be on a good portion of the day.

Let's start:

Install, Clean and Dirty: Unified Installer Instructions

CTDs (Crash-To-Desktop) regardless of 5%, 60%, or 95% this is usually the AC_Installer: AC_Installer

Hit Sounds Too loud: Hit Sounds TOO Loud

Special Notes:

IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS, OR, ASK IF YOU'RE UNSURE, YOU ARE.......ASKING FOR TROUBLE!
PLEASE READ AND ASK!!!!

If you have a MODDED install KEEP IT until you are satisfied the UI has everything you need.

The UI Install will not "mess" with anything like the Users folder.  it will add some skins to Paint Schemes but that's no worry.

Consider: ala Foxbat and me, moving your MODS\MAPMODS folder to the UI install.  Makes life easier....

_AH_Moggy

~S~ all:While we're on the UI subject, I've uploaded some ATC target photos for a new UI "slot" mission that we can fly once we get everyone up to speed on the UI.  See the "view downloads" section.

Moggy

_AH_Olds

Ok here's another question: Which version of the Mk. 1 do we use, 2.7, 2.8, or 2.9?
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_BBQhead

S~..

Version switcher not working properly?    mine was getting a 'failed to initialize' error anytime i clicked on the IL2 Version switcher that came with the Unified install1.0. 
i was able to switch versions by going to the version batch file in the game folder and manually  selecting it.

if this sounds familiar to you.. here's the fix.. you need to have .net framework installed for the switcher to work as it should.

.netframework  is easy to find.. it is available through windows update.. but it is not a high priority update.. run windows updates, and select custom rather than express.. it will be listed under software..   i'm sure you can also find it at the microsoft download center.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Jack