Program for dual core machines

Started by Foxbat, November 08, 2008, 12:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxbat

S! I found a nice little program for running programs on dual core computers. It lets you assign any program to run on the core you choose. Right now I have all of my programs except IL2 running on core 1 and IL2 on core 2 only. It helped a bunch and it really works.

Any of you guys want to try it, send me an email and I'll send it your way. I wrote a read me file that shows how to install and set it up.

_AH_tomtom

you can also do this is your task manager under processes also

"Lord, if you won't make me skinny, please make all my friends fat."

_AH_Duff4r

Fox - It does work great!     **** Clickable Links to Programs*****

tomtom - Yes but it doesn't stick that way.  You must do it each time.  Here's 4 proggies that make things easier.

I initially used Prioaff

There is also THG Task Assignment Manager and imagecfg

The one I NOW USE and would recommend for most Pilots is: Process Lasso  It's an install and go type program.

Check It out!

REMEMBER=====> In CPU terms, Core 1 = Core 0 and Core 2 = Core 1 - Silly huh??
                               This works for Quad Cores

In IL-2......You must open your conf.ini file, go about half the way down and make it look like this:

[rts]
ProcessAffinityMask=2 <======Like this!
mouseUse=2
joyUse=1
trackIRUse=1
DisableIME=0
locale=

Set all other peripherals to Core "0".

~S~
Duff

_AH_Duff4r

Gents....

Lots of questions asked last night about specifying a specific core in a Dual or Quad core configuration.

I have used and understand Prioaff.exe but it's simply NOT for the faint of heart.......

In the post above, download and install Process Lasso.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO LEAVE PROCESS LASSO RUNNING after you set which program runs on which CPU.

Simply select the processor (CPU) you want IL-2,  Ventrilo, Joysticks, TrackIR, etc. to run on, Close Process Lasso, and reboot!

DON'T BE A GOMER!!  In order to set a programs CPU preference, you MUST have both the program (IL-2) AND Process Lasso running when you set it!

Here's a pic!

_AH_Duff4r

Giving everyone a chance to see this...BUMP!

_AH_Toccs

I've been running it about 2 months. Duffr helped me get it set up. It is very powerful.

_AH_Rumely

Thanks for the info Duf4r testing it out LOOKS GOOD !

DealnDave

S~

There are two version of the Lasso program. A 32 bit and a 64 bit...how do you know which one to use?

Thanks,

_AH_Duff4r

Dave,

This is right off the Process Lasso Home page, half way down Left side, and I quote:

64-bit? 32-bit?

The 64-bit build is ONLY for those running x64 versions of Windows (i.e. Windows Vista x64).

Don't worry, if you pick the wrong one the installer will tell you.

{End Quote}

S~
Duff

DealnDave

S~

Duff4r and FoxBat.....thank you very much for your help.  I got the program up and running.  I only have mu IL-2 running on my #2 core.  I also had to do some minor (normal) pc clean-up last night to include defrag.  Took over 2 hours to defrag my hard drive....its been awhile...LOL

Foxbat

S~
After my reformat I dumped prioaff and now am trying lasso. My problem is after I go into it and set all the affinity settings
the only one that sticks is the setting for IL2. Is there a save button on there somewhere I am missing? Everything else goes back the way it was after a reboot.

_AH_Duff4r

_AH_Viper

I've gone back to the Lasso prog myself.  With the settings in your Config.ini set affinity=2.  I ran the prog and it automatically set my priority to 1 which is for the duo core I have.  My priority class had to be set to Normal versus below Normal for some reason. Hope this helps.  Oh and reboot your computer after making settings.

_AH_MOAB

OK how do  I do this for a quad core processor.  I am sure I am not using them to get the most out of them.  Any help you be appreciated.

_AH_Duff4r

Well,

I would put IL-2 on it's own core when running and everything else like Joysticks, mouse, ventrilo, etc on some other core.  For the "other core" stuff, it just really doesn't matter.

S~
Duff