New intstall issues and questions

Started by _AH_Olds, November 13, 2008, 04:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. he's not losing his IP address.. he stays connected, just can't browse the web..IE and firefox time out.. and also has a problem staying in game when the same host runs a second game without going back to hyperlobby in between..all the while remaining connected to ventrilo.  :drinking-29:

the half duplex setting was a quick fix and a temporary work around... it's surprising how often it can stabilize a connection.   

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_tomtom

Ah yes the router.....I am not sure the version of the G you are using, but I had a customer have the same issue and thought it was his NIC card, we ended up updating the firmware of the router and it fixed the problem of his machine.  If he used at half duplex (which we tried) it worked.  I am not sure if this is the same problem, but it is worth a shot.  I also would not be to far off to ask how old your wiring is?  Sometimes Cat5 will wear down and this is when collisions can start occuring at full-duplex, or a pin or something has started to come loose.  Seen that a hundred times.  If you have a new cable, maybe give that a swap and a try also.

"Lord, if you won't make me skinny, please make all my friends fat."

_AH_Hornet

I agree with tomtom. I would definitely start by switching the cables for one that is known to not have any problems. Updating the driver and then the router firmware would be next in order. Also, this is running XP, right?

Tomtom, could it be firmware if only one host connected to the router has the problem? :-\

_AH_tomtom

ah yes your right, i did not read that there is multiple on the router, sorry about that, could be a bad port? lol i should really ready it to the entiriety sometimes, I an  :idiot-0011:  :lol-034:

_AH_Hornet

Meh, we're not infallible. WRT54g's are notorious for being troublesome, so he should probably update it anyway. I bricked mine this past summer because I thought I'd be smart and put the DD-WRT firmware on it. That didn't work well.

:lol-034:

_AH_tomtom

Yep I did the same with DD, luckily it did not brick it, but it did make it now able to put any original firmwares back in place lol

_AH_Hornet

It's not totally bricked, but it won't pick up an IP from the WAN port. Grrrrrrrrrr.

_AH_Olds

Here's an update: As you know, BBQ had me change the speed to half-duplex, and not do auto-negotiate. Worked ok for awhile, but having problems again. Same thing, not renewing IP. Sometimes, if you let it sit, it will start working again after 15 min or so. Sometimes you just have to reboot. Could it be the router, or a cable? I did ask my ISP about a static IP...I would have to request it, for $5 more a month. Not sure if that would help. Any ideas? This is annoying, and I apologize for making people have to wait for me to reboot. Hopefully, this will be solved soon.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Hornet

Well, it can't be the router since the other computers work fine. It could be the cable, your NIC hardware, the driver, or a software misconfiguration. I PM'd you my number- give me a call and we can probably work it out.

_AH_Olds

Thanks, Hornet. I'll try to call you probably tomorrow evening. Thanks for the help. S!

Olds
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Olds

Talked to Hornet this evening, and he helped me change some settings. We changed the desktop settings to a static IP, and left the router on DHCP. Will know soon how good it works. Thanks for the help, Hornet, and S!

_AH_Hornet

I suspect that this will clear up your problems, Olds.

_AH_Olds

Looks like it is fixed. Was able to connect successfully all night with no problems. Thanks a bunch, Hornet! S!

_AH_Hornet

No problemo. I'm glad everything stayed a-okay.