OpenDNS.com

Started by _AH_Duff4r, November 24, 2008, 05:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Duff4r

Good Stuff here fellas!

What is DNS? It is Domain Name System (DNS) is a database system that translates a computer's fully qualified domain name into an IP address.

Open DNS is a site that is FREE and you use your ISP but their DNS.  So how does this help?  It will speed up your internet because THEY cache zillions of sites.  many many more than your ISP.  Result...much faster access.

I have now used this for more than a year.  No BS no privacy issues.  Cost is free.  The tiny little catch...If you TYPE something in wrong you go to their search engine page with sponsor adds.  Don't type an addy in wrong and you'll never see it.

Try it, You'll Like it......

Here's a NO BRAINER tutorial:

OpenDNS.com

_AH_Hornet

You can type those two IPs into your router's static DNS to have it give that address to all you DHCP computers.

_AH_Duff4r

Correct!  If you go to the link it will send you to the instructions for either computer or router.  I do this at the router so that anyone that connects wireless gets the benefit from it!

You can also "create an account", FREE,  to manage what type of sites can be accessed.  It's really, Pretty darn cool!

S~
Duff

_AH_taldrg

~S~ I really wish I knew what you gays are talking about but, I'm OK.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_Hornet

Quote from: _AH_taldrg on November 25, 2008, 04:43:33 PM
~S~ I really wish I knew what you gays are talking about but, I'm OK.

We're really not that bad.