Speedtest and Packet Loss Issues

Started by _AH_Olds, January 15, 2009, 09:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Olds

I did some testing on my connection, per Foxbat's suggestion, to try to determine the cause of the surging I've been getting of late. I ran a test on a server at Stanford, http://netspeed.stanford.edu/, and at the University of Michigan http://speedtest.umflint.edu/and found out that there was packet loss. My cables were good, but I don't know how to fix the problem. I can't copy the report for some reason (a Java applet)  :unhappy-059:, but here is what it says in a nutshell:

"Excessive packet loss is affecting your performance, check the auto-negotiation function on your local PC and network switch." It gives a lot of other cryptic information, including that packet queing is detected. I don't know much about packet loss, and am not sure where to look to fix it. I can go over this with someone more knowledgeable if necessary. I'd like to fix this problem, as it is affecting gameplay.

Thanks, and S!,

Olds

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_BBQhead

S~.

Try unchecking the check box for QOS Packet Scheduler.

( Control panel, Network Connections, Right click your connection, properties, uncheck the box, ok.)

When you click ok you will lose connection while windows makes the change..you  should reconnect right away.. once reconnected, re run the speed test..

if you don't reconnect , reboot.. if you still can't connect.. go back and recheck the box...

it may or may not make a difference..but it couldn't hurt to try it.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Olds

Ok, thanks, BBQ, I'll try that when I get back. I'll let you know how it works.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Hornet

I don't know about those services you used, Olds, but I would try this:

Go to start > run > cmd.exe
type
pathping google.com

Wait for it to finish... (should take about 6 minutes)

Let me know what percent packet loss you had throughout your route.

_AH_Olds

I did the test, and in a nutshell, when the trace got to Google, it said 98% loss (twice). Nothing else anywhere in the test. Not sure what that means. I took a screenshot and pasted it to the clipboard in Open Office text, but I can't get it to post as a pic. If you want, I can send you an email.

Thanks, and S!

Olds

_AH_BBQhead

S~. turning off the QOS scheduler will not reduce packet loss. but turning it off does release the bandwidth it holds in reserve. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Hornet

Quote from: _AH_Olds on January 23, 2009, 02:06:27 PM
I did the test, and in a nutshell, when the trace got to Google, it said 98% loss (twice). Nothing else anywhere in the test. Not sure what that means. I took a screenshot and pasted it to the clipboard in Open Office text, but I can't get it to post as a pic. If you want, I can send you an email.

Thanks, and S!

Olds

Please do send me an email.

_AH_Hornet

Hmm.. That email looks fair. One of the hops you had problems with blocked pings anyway. (were they indicated with 3 stars * in the first block of output? I couldn't see.) 

Can you do two more one to yahoo.com and another to msn.com? I want to make sure you actually have bad packet loss without just looking at one occasion. Generally any loss > 2% is bad and 5 direct point hops (3rd column) had 2%. Doing another two to different places will make sure it's not just an anomaly.

If the tests you ran said you had high amounts of packet loss, I'd like to see that output because I don't see that indication in the test you just emailed to me. If there were a problem with your computer, you should see more consistent packet loss regardless of the pinged location, not just select hosts. Also, have you run those tests on other computers?

_AH_Olds

Ok, email is on its way. Thanks, Hornet. S!

_AH_Hornet

Everything looks okay to me. Why do you suspect packet loss?

_AH_Olds

That was what I was told to look for, in order to resolve the surging problem while in flight. Apparently, I don't have a packet loss problem. Wonder what else could cause the surging?

_AH_Hornet

I'm not familiar with 'surging'. What's that?

_AH_Duff4r

Surging is where the plane (Olds) moves back and forth as it going forward through the air.  It is also called a stutter etc.

Olds....

Read ALL of this: Anti-Stutter but back up your conf.ini  You Been Warned!

Don't quit till you've read it.  Sorry it is long!
Duff

_AH_Olds

WOW!  :surprised-041: That's long! Not finished reading it yet, but already got questions. I found something weird in the config file for the Process Affinity Mask=2. It looks like this:

[rts]
;ProcessAffinityMask=2

Is that supposed to be there? I seem to remember doing something with that, but don't remember what. Also, what about the water and shaders set to 0? I don't have a problem on this end with the graphics...it is very smooth. I think the problem is in the online part...what everyone else sees. Would my graphics settings affect online play?

I'll try to catch you online when I can to go over this. Thanks for the help, Duff4r!

Olds

_AH_Hornet

Quote from: _AH_Duff4r on January 25, 2009, 05:54:50 AM
Surging is where the plane (Olds) moves back and forth as it going forward through the air.  It is also called a stutter etc.

How is surging different than lagging?