Speedtest and Packet Loss Issues

Started by _AH_Olds, January 15, 2009, 09:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Duff4r

Quote from: AH_Hornet on January 25, 2009, 04:09:44 PM
Quote from: _AH_Duff4r on January 25, 2009, 05:54:50 AM
Surging is where the plane (Olds) moves back and forth as it going forward through the air.  It is also called a stutter etc.

How is surging different than lagging?

Hornet:  It's the Southern form of the Verb "To lag"

Olds: you remember that because if you want to use Prioaff or Process Lasso you must remove (;) from that statement like this:

[rts]
ProcessAffinityMask=2

Then save the conf.ini file

S~

_AH_Hornet

Hmm, well lag could be caused by a variety of problems, including packet loss. But I doubt packet loss is at fault here.

Olds, I know you've done speedtests before, but post yours here so I can take a gander-

Just copy the 'share result' - 'forum link'

_AH_Olds

Ok, here it is:

I took a second test, which came out better.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks, and S!

Olds
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Duff4r

Cool Site!

Here's mine...

Duff

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. i've always thought that Lag had a double meaning for us..  we use it as  a general term that refers to all kinds of interruptions in the smoothness of the game play.. and also a specific video effect.. 

.. which is a plane seeming to hesitate and then a quickly zoom to where it's 'supposed' to be.

whereas the surging looks like a plane  is speeding up and slowing down almost like it's on a slow motion  invisible bungee cord. kinda reminds me of the motion you see in those countertop wave machines.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Stiffy

_AH_Duff4r

Hmmm...........

So BBQ if you can host then I should be able to?  I never tried, thought there were too many other faster connects.

S~
D

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. yes you should, Duff4r.   :cool:

i ran that test three times.. that was my middle DL speed..got a wide variance in the three tests.. the other numbers stayed pretty consistent..

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_Hornet

Quote from: _AH_Olds on January 25, 2009, 06:05:18 PM
Ok, here it is:

I took a second test, which came out better.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks, and S!

Olds

What speed internet do you pay for?

I use to have this last year where I lived, but not anymore.

This is where I worked over the summer:   :lol-029:

_AH_Olds

I think it's below T1...here's my result...

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference". - Harry S. Truman

_AH_Duff4r

Sorry Olds....It's WAY below T1.  You're showing a bit above 1 Meg down.  My guess is you are paying for 1.5 Megs down.  As I remember your getting it wireless correct?  As in off a tower?  Not coaxial all the way?

Remember this...It's not what you have it's how solid it is!   Oops?  I am I starting to sound a bit Jackish?

If your hitting a tower that's where the packet loss comes in.

Regardless, I'd put this topic to bed as there ain't squat you're going to do about it and I think it depends more on who hosts...

Example DealinDave's host pure sucks for me.  I'm in Idaho and he's in Florida.  Yet, Jack's is rock solid as in better than Skat's and BBQ's.  Fox is pretty good for me depending on the night.  Just depends.

If you remember back a bit, Gonzo was always telling me "hey bud your doing that "thing" again.  He was referring to the same thing you're talking about.  Another thing.  To me you're solid I never see you oscillate....Go figure.

Don't worry, be happy, and fly!

FWIW
Duff

_AH_Hornet

Olds,
Yeah, you are below a T1 (but not by that much, 'cept for your upload).

I'd say you don't have packet loss so much as you have variability in your connection. This is the nature of residential connections and especially wireless. A close friend of mine works tech support at a wireless ISP and I think he said that the towers act a lot like cable internet - when neighbors are using the internet, your throughput degrades.

Since (I would suspect) that your speeds are on the low end of what's required to play IL2, I would say that the surging you experience is due to the variation in internet speeds you're able to get.

_AH_BBQhead

S~.

T1..  1544 kbps.... 1.5Mbps
T1c.. 3152 kbps.... 3.1Mbps
T2..  6312 kbps..... 6.3Mbps
T3..  44736 kbps... 44.7 Mbps
T4.. 274760 kbps.. 244.8 Mbps

mmmmm T4......

_AH_Hornet

I don't even think you can get T2 and T4. I think you have to buy multiple T3s or move to OCs

OC3 - 155.52 Mbps
OC12 - 622.08 Mbps
OC192 - 9953.28 Mbps

We had dual OC192s between the two datacenters I worked at over the past summer.

_AH_Duff4r

Nope if you get "hicksville" enough like me you can.  I have T2 In Blackfoot, Idaho  I do see most of it always 5.4 to 5.8 with 500-ish up.

S~
Duff