Mission For Tonight (MFT) Post renamed!

Started by _AH_Duff4r, January 24, 2009, 06:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Duff4r

Friday Night Fights is Good Stuff and I have an idea,

I enjoy this format above all else.  Imagine if we had another squad in there with us!

Regardless, I hope this evolves to much more.

===> With a bit bigger map and more targets this could easily go "nightly" replacing the COOP as AH's mainstay.  Run a map for a week starting at say 9 PM Eastern, 30 - 90 minutes.  It wouldn't have to be every night.  The bonus here is if someone is late no biggie.  4 spawns and your out if you start at time="0".  Then 30 minutes in 3 spawns, 60minutes in 2 spawns.  Much better then sitting out from an hour coop!  The initial brief is short, if any.  The mission commander picks the target and assigns.  MC's could change with each mission.  Remember, missions could be....fighter sweeps!  There is NO need to coordinate with the opposition.  Mission time arrives, mission goes hot you want to sit on the ground and plan that's up to the MC.  MC needs to keep the log and add points to a score board.  There is NO need to assign by squads.  You get there you must be responsible, chose side by preference then by balance looking at Ventrilo, log on to Vent, identify to MC and ask for orders.  Or....assign by squads, the War wasn't always even sided.

See what I'm saying here?  Make up your own mission(s)  Every target has a point value, all targets are backup the next night.  You could fly a full mission without encountering any opposition or it could end in a furball.

One need: It would be best if Enemy views Locked off
One RULE!! You simply can not fly both sides on the same night

I've out lined some of the possible basics.  This can extrapolated further using the KISS method!  I would be glad to help with this.

Need I say more?

S~
Duff
Is this a good idea??

Reply from DEV...

Yes, but with modifications. For Fridays, keep format as is, but if you're asking for an almost everyday thing, I suggest loosening the rules (except for spawns). Otherwise, it could get overwhelming. I myself was braindead after yesterday's mission. It took a lot out of me (but I thoroughly enjoyed it).
surprised-041

_AH_Duff4r

Gottcha Dev...

Agreed!  there really isn't a huge need to keep score past that evenings battle!  The players will change sides and some will or won't be there that were or weren't.  We certainly don't keep COOP scores.  Once the host leaves it's gone!!

Server,

We have a server we don't use, right?  the server could be quickly set up to support this, I think.

No it can't be tough it has to be easy.

S~

_AH_BBQhead

S~  we've made attempts to set up df maps like this before.. ie some of  Johnny's BOB maps, . when ever we fly them.. it seems to take quite along time to decide on a target and take off.. Rgaa's DF maps usually have some ground targets, too. but i think what you're talking about Duff, can be run in almost any df server provided there are ground targets....in any dogfight room sorties can be flown as a task force..  i think it doesn't happen much because when 4 guys are ready to spawn into a df room.. the tendency is to make the sides even.. so there's always waiting for more guys to even up the sides..

most guys elect to take off and and fly to where the action is rather than wait indefinitely for more to join and spawn and form up and go out as a unit. 

not sure how that would work for us in a join whenever ya show up df room.. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Duff4r

Too true BBQ...

That's why there need be an OFFICIAL start time like 9 PM Eastern.

It's kind like the nightly B-ball pickup game.  Everyone knows to show up at the gym.  Who ever is there teams up, shirts and skins, and there's a B-ball game happening!  Those in the door late even the sides and don't get as much ball in.

Probably, perfection is a join anytime COOP

Just a thought.
Duff

_AH_BBQhead

S~.

as long as it doesn't end up in a red on blue free for all mode and it gets more of us in the air more of the time.. i'm all for it..

it looks great on paper.. i'm not disagreeing..   

basically a dog fight room, if the map is properly set up and the people in there are of the right mind set.. it is a join anytime coop.. with the added bonus of refuel and rearm..kinda.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_Col._Hogan

"it is a join anytime coop.. with the added bonus of refuel and rearm..kinda."

I like the sound of that.

S!

_AH_Duff4r

I hope some of the mappers and mission guys take a look-see here.

S~

_AH_Gonzo

S! all, sounds good to me... If done right.

"I wish I was who I was when I wanted to be what I am today" - Jimi Hendrix

Foxbat

S!
Pretty cool ideas. I'll volunteer to provide some maps. I could use the maps from the FNF stuff
and rework the targets to what would be suitable for this. Also change up the briefs so it had the
basic guide for people joining in after the start. I would only want to use the maps we had flown
already so right now its just the 2. More available as we fly the Friday stuff. I hope some builders
will give this a try too. I do think that the Coops we do are still very good and the campaign
missions are outstanding. There are things you can control and set in a coop that you just can't
do in a DF room. Someday they may be able to give us moving objects in a DF room and that
will make it more interesting. There is something very fun about the dynamics of these "live"
rooms. Its unknown to everyone how things may go. The targets are there and are known to
everyone and how well the plan is executed makes the biggest differance. Even as the builder of
these first 2 missions in FNF, I have had no idea how they would go. Its just as intense for me
in there as anyone.
I can have a map ready to go pretty quick and we could try it tonight after the meeting.

_AH_Duff4r

Fox, thanks, I sent you another email with some more ideas.

Room is open for 1 hour.  Breathers only.  This is an "impromptu COOP held in a DF room" :-}  i like that.

I still think this would be a good way to start some of our nights.  Maps could be downloadable so any squad member could download and host.

I'm going to try to push this until the squad says different.  I now call this Mission For Tonight (MFT)  I think basing it on already used FNF maps is the best way.  Simply adding more Home bases and more targets.  Historical-ish plane sets and not a lot of choices per side.

In at the start or soon after (To be determined) 2 re-spawns (3 planes), X minutes late 1 re-spawn (2 Planes), less than 30 minutes to go No re-spawns (1 plane)

When I get all the details figured I will post and run a poll.
S~
Duff