Mod Q for Duff4r

Started by _AH_Col._Hogan, January 24, 2009, 10:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Col._Hogan

Aviar asked if he could run just the AI mod, nothing else.

They have a new mod activator, although it makes alot of planes flyable.

Can those new flyables be turned off?

_AH_Duff4r

As far as I know...NO

That said a look at the file structure makes me think maybe.  It's not as easy as putting a (-) in front of  a folder it's deleting a bunch of AASD456745DASERT files.

He could ask on AAA and if he doesn't have an account there I would be glad to ask.

Let me know!!

Duff

_AH_Col._Hogan

Aviar

Thanks guys. I did get it working and have had a short look at it.

A lot more work on this AI MOD is needed before it can be used. Right now it seems to be a one man operation and you really need a controlled team to get the job done. In the end, I don't know if it's even possible. Messing with the AI routines is incredibly difficult and dangerous.

You can't just play one or two missions and declare.."I love this MOD!"..as I have so often seen. Many different scenarios would need to be tested after even one change was made to make a proper evaluation. Even certificate (the guy who made the MOD) has admitted that some versions were so buggy that more things were 'broken' than 'fixed'.

One thing though, I'm getting a kick reading that thread on AAA. I have seen some hilarious posts.

People are reporting 'strange' AI behavior that is in fact absolutely normal. These people simply don't have enough experience with the game to realize this.

Then there are the people who 'think' they see the AI do amazing things. This is one of my recent favorites:
-----------------------------

"I've had this mod installed but never really tested it. Our squadron (Vultures Row) flew our regular DCG campaign, but the host didn't have this mod installed. When I went up against some Spits I noticed a HUGE difference in their behavior. Everyone in the squad saw it too. We saw the AI doing maneuvers we'd never see them do before, not even Aces. They were pulling almost everything in the book.

One Spit had me working for 5 mins straight. I was getting fatigued and felt like I was going up against a seasoned human.

So, I'm not sure if the host not having this mod does or does not effect a client who does have it installed, but I saw what I saw..."
-----------------------------

That is so funny. The host did not have the MOD installed yet there was "...a HUGE difference..." in the AI behavior. This is impossible, as the host server dictates the AI routines. Sometimes, people see what they 'want' to see. It's called a placebo effect.

Although this certificate fellow seems like a nice enough guy, he may not be qualified to be the head of this 'project', if you can call it that. I think he's a guy who had just enough knowledge to mess with some parameters and post it on the AAA site. Other than that, I think he's in way over his head.

I've seen people make some silly suggestions and certificate responds with.."Sure, I can put that in the next version." No thought about how it may affect the entire gameplay of IL-2...just put it in because some goober requested it.

As of now, I've reduced the status of this AI MOD to one of simple curiosity. It's not ready for prime time and probably never will be.

Aviar
Intel i7-4790 4-Core @3.60GHz
Asus Z97-C Motherboard
16GB DDR-3 1600 SDRAM @800 MHz
NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB
Creative SB ZX SBX
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
27" AOC LED - 2752
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
CH FighterStick-Pro Throttle-Pro Pedals
Logitech G13 Gameboard
GoFlight GF-T8 Module
WIN 8.1

_AH_Duff4r

Good call here...

I'm not really ready to believe 2 or 3 "over-written" files could cause what happened to me last night but....I ain't denying it's possible

My game was a mess last night.  Wrong map coordinates, Ventrilo locked into a "loop"  I had the tip of my right wing literally "fall off" in a moderate dive for no apparent reason?

Here's the deal; I put the AI_Mod v1.7 in a coupla nights ago but never flew it until last night!!

Here's how I fixed it.  I removed the AI_Mod v 1.7 and installed AI_Mod v1.6 then started the game and flew a bit.  I then got rid of the whole shebang!  If that doesn't work I'm going to reinstall the UI.

I do hope they get the AI sorted and we do know it can be.  Oleg was constantly messing with it.  It detracts from the _AH COOP game play.

S~
Duff

Foxbat

Although this certificate fellow seems like a nice enough guy, he may not be qualified to be the head of this 'project', if you can call it that. I think he's a guy who had just enough knowledge to mess with some parameters and post it on the AAA site. Other than that, I think he's in way over his head.

I've seen people make some silly suggestions and certificate responds with.."Sure, I can put that in the next version." No thought about how it may affect the entire gameplay of IL-2...just put it in because some goober requested it.

As of now, I've reduced the status of this AI MOD to one of simple curiosity. It's not ready for prime time and probably never will be.

Aviar

LOL,
I am afraid at what I have seen of this so far i gotta agree. Its not as easy as flying one or two times and declaring it a done deal.
I remember all along the developement of this sim, Oleg was constantly changing the FM of the AI and the flyable A/C.
No one seemed to ever be happy with and there was always dissent on what was more accurate.

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. agreed that this mod is still in the testing stage.. it's still called beta isn't it?.

i wouldn't install this into my working game folder..

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

Aviar

As some of you may know, I really don't do MODS. I have some installed for offline testing, just so I'm not 'out of the loop' as far as IL-2 goes. I mean, if you want to comment on things, it's good to have an understanding of what you're talking about.

However, this AI MOD intrigued me when I first heard about it. This is one area in IL-2 where gameplay can truly be affected, in a positive manner. For instance, I tried an early version of the MOD where the 'million barrel rolls' AI routine was removed. It was refreshing, to say the least.

Unfortunately, I believe that too many AI edits (with insufficient testing) have been made to make the current version stable and reliable. It can be fun to mess around with it, but I would never use it in one of my coops. It's just too unpredictable.

In any event, I hope it's ok for me to post here...I'm not a squad member. However, I was impressed with the site so I decided to try and register.

Aviar
Intel i7-4790 4-Core @3.60GHz
Asus Z97-C Motherboard
16GB DDR-3 1600 SDRAM @800 MHz
NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB
Creative SB ZX SBX
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
27" AOC LED - 2752
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
CH FighterStick-Pro Throttle-Pro Pedals
Logitech G13 Gameboard
GoFlight GF-T8 Module
WIN 8.1

_AH_Jack

You're welcome anytime, Aviar.  Your posts are informative and obviously well thought out.