Factory New F4U Skin !

Started by _AH_Twisted, February 17, 2009, 05:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Twisted

Last night Slikk had mentioned he was looking for a particular F4U Skin. A factory freash one without decals if possible. After the Co-op Slikk and I dropped channels and had an informative discussion about it. We sent some skins back and fourth to see what can be done as I didn't actually have what he was looking for. Below is the skin color ( Start Skin ) he was after.

I got up early this morning and decided to see what I could do. Honestly it didn't take me as long as I expected it to either. I guess I managed to pick up enough over the years since starting to play around with graphics. A little over 4 hrs later this is what I came up with below.

If you look close both at the downloable skin and the pictures I was able to retain the texture and thus keeping it looking realistic. Honestly I pleasently suprised and very pleased how it turned out.

Regardless what I think though feel free to critique. You won't hurt my feelings as on this skin I'm striving for perfection.

Start Skin
15758-416JTClean

Finished Skin
F4U Brand New :)

Download
http://www.advantagewebdevelopments.com/IL2skins/F4U-Clean.zip

_AH_Twisted

Talking with Slikk today I decided to also make a new one with the markings. I moved the fuselage

insignias towards the rear by quite a bit in case someone wanted to use the in game markings.
Enjoy

Finished Skin
F4U Brand New with markings :)

Download
http://www.advantagewebdevelopments.com/IL2skins/F4U-Clean-marked.zip

_AH_taldrg

~S~ Way too dark. The only time the Navy had that dark of a paint was for the F4U-5N night firghter assigned to VMF(N)-513 in Kunson Korea during 1952. As the saying goes, "It was big..and blue...and well it was big". Make it BLUE.
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_Twisted

~S~ TD,

How light were they? I've got so many skins I honestly don't know which one would be the correct color.

This one was made mainly for Slikk hence the color choice. However I would be interested in doing a correct one as far as shade of blue.

_AH_taldrg

~S~ Check down load file "Big and Blue".
I love my country..It's the government I'm afraid of.

_AH_DarkWolf

With that pic you're comparing what looks like a field applied 3 tone scheme to the overall glossy sea blue you see from the F4U-1D onwards. If it's supposed to be "factory fresh" it does'nt look unreasonable to me. Gotta remember that if you're running the game in "Perfect" mode, a skin will look a little lighter than it appears in the aircraft selection screen.

Have you checked out the colour swatches section on simmerspaintshop Twisted? Their colours are a great place to start when trying to find that right shade.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Twisted

Quote from: _AH_taldrg on February 17, 2009, 11:07:21 PM
~S~ Check down load file "Big and Blue".

Got it thanks TD. I see it is tri-colored. I wonder if that was the standard paint scheme or something added later on or for specific squads.

Something that comes to mind was the show Blacksheep. If memory serves me right they were a single color and it was a fairly dark blue. Of course as we know Hollywood is about as accurate as a smooth bore musket most of the time  :lol-053:

_AH_Twisted

~S~ and thank you DW.
I went to the site and checked out their swatches. There is a number of different blues as we know. I suppose it is choosing something that we would think is correct and going from there.

The more I think of this the more I wonder about something. If a plane was "brand new" it would  without a doubt have a smooth skin. The outter shell wouldn't have a defects or off shaded areas outside what was painted on or maybe viewing angle.

Putting the rivets basic lines and such on the colored skin is the "easy" part. It is getting the skin to look realistic and not something that you just dump a single layer of gloss over. Speak of which how glossy would a new paint be? I mean realistically I wouldn't think it was too shinny as that would be a bad thing as the whole idea would be to blend the plane into the surrounding per-say.

Oh my I'm thinking too much and my head's spinning like a top  :lol-034: