Death in the Family

Started by _AH_Archie, February 25, 2009, 01:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Archie

I lost my 22" LCD monitor today.  She died during the night.....ok i am over it because i get to buy some new hardware :drinking-43:

What should i be looking for as far as specs? 

Arch

Watch your 6, Own your 12, Hug an 11, Kiss a 29.

_AH_*PODS*_RGAA

I'am an LG man ... but there are a few good brands out there .... but anything with 2-5ms widescreen with a 10,000:1 ratio with 1920x1200 and 1080p with an average cost of around 350$ for a 25"  and 280$  for a 22" LG brand ... but there are cheaper models ... Usually get what you pay for. Dont know if you have access to a comp with your monitor going ... and if you can go with out for 3-4 days ... but newegg.com has the best deals around in general .. Order today with free shipping and recieve Sat-Mon .... but they also have overnight for a few $ more.

Fly'n is the second greatest thrill
known to man, Landing is the first!
  Major _AH_Rgaa
        A Flight
 www.aceshigh.ws

_AH_tomtom

I would recommend looking on either http://www.tigerdirect.com or goto a compuse store that was taking over by tiger direct.  They have a 22inch one for 169.00 and a 28 inch for a little over 309 I think, I was just in there and that monitor us humoungous.

"Lord, if you won't make me skinny, please make all my friends fat."

_AH_Twisted

~S~ Archie

I've used Newegg.com for over 4 yrs. Customer support is very good. They also offer a wide range of different brands, and fairly low priced if you can wait the 3-4 days.

_AH_Hornet

Speaking of....

My 21.3" viewsonic died the other week and the RMA dept. is saying that it'll take 17 business days to get it back to me. If it wasn't for that, I'd recommend viewsonic.

Later, I got into a nasty bike accident and busted by laptop's LCD panel (last week) because it was in my backpack. The doc gave me 6 stitches, but my laptop's not healing. :( I'm sending it in tomorrow on warranty, though.

_AH_tomtom

I have used newegg by the way and they are awesome, but tiger direct has some awesome deals

"Lord, if you won't make me skinny, please make all my friends fat."

_AH_DarkWolf

I'd also be interested in knowing what you guys use as far as LCD monitors, like specific models. The thing I can't accept with LCDs is the poor picture when viewing dark images. I've always used a CRT and have a 19" one now. Last week I tried a Dell SP2208WFP 22" widescreen. It had a sharp picture at it's native res, no real ghosting issues and some nice bright colors. But then I tried loading up the AH base and changing the time of day to midnight. I could'nt see anything beyond the brightest details of the screen. I could see the "sign in!" sign, my gunsight, the aura of the sun on the horizon and some of the sides of buildings that had some ambient light shining off them. Everything else was a grey murk. I tried adjusting the onboard controls and video card picture settings but nothing would make any detail show up in those dark areas.

DW

"In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Good Will" - Winston S. Churchill

_AH_Twisted

Oddly enough DW I have the exact same issue with my 19" CRT monitor with the night carrier map. Although some of it was corrected when I discovered that my video setup was set to Nvidia and not to my new Radeon card.

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. i was getting all kinds of oddities in my graphics til i changed the video option in il2setup to maximum.

it is true that LCD's have a hard time rendering a true black...the more expensive ones are better at it..

you should also have the 'attempt stencil buffer' toggled on if you're running a perfect setting in video options.. as i understand it the perfect setting will be greyed out if you don't.. but the way we use the config.ini file to set a lot of those options.. it is possible to set the value there to 3 for landscape or water textures ( or whatever it is).. effectively running perfect without the stencil buffer..which might be the problem.   

i would get that dark dark screen that DW described at 12 noon when running perfect on my old card and CRT monitor... but that was a pci video card.. not pcie.. 

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_*PODS*_RGAA

I run a Flatron LG L1910 series and have never had an issue with night missions ... I run vivid color at 5% increase and brightness at 40% ... all other settings are stock on monitor ... Night missions seem like early evening missions ... maybe 60% dark at most .. but have no issues with reconizing objects and aircraft at long distances

Fly'n is the second greatest thrill
known to man, Landing is the first!
  Major _AH_Rgaa
        A Flight
 www.aceshigh.ws