Slot Issues & Possible Resolutions

Started by _AH_Twisted, March 04, 2009, 05:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_AH_Twisted

That's interesting BB about the config file data. I checked mine for curiosity and I had the following.
[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=10.0
nearMaxLagTime=2.0
cheaterWarningDelay=5.0
cheaterWarningNum=-1

Thing is I copied my old config file over from when I was just running IL2+AEP+PF 3.04

I wounder if I'm actually missing things that I should actually have in there because of that?

_AH_Moby

~S~ Twisted!

My conf.ini file has the identical settings as your in the [Maxlag] data column and that's coming from a patched up and modded 4.09 game, see below:   

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=10.0
nearMaxLagTime=2.0
cheaterWarningDelay=5.0
cheaterWarningNum=-1

I think I'd like to see if BBQ has any issues with his new "farmaxlag" and "nearmaxlag" conf.ini settings before I change them in my game first...

~S~!

Mobes.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. yep.. i'll be trying it out tonight..

it's unrelated to the transferring mission problem.. but i'm hoping it'll help me to see less warping..

not sure it's gonna do anything..  might be something that works from the server side.. so if i have no probs as a joiner.. i'll try hosting and see who has problems...mwuhuhuhaha

now back to the transferring mission prob.. after reading myself silly about tcp/udp... and listening to some suggestions i heard last night on comms.. i'm moving away from the network settings.. and going back to the Java Garbage Collection that i've come across a few times as being the possible culprit..
and seeing the problem almost always in the missions with more "stuff" (objects), it's a semi confirmation that it might be the problem..that and most of the errors i see in my log are java errors.
  i've read on several java tech sites now that 'memory leaks' can and do cause applications to terminate... and there is a problem with the way the GC handles objects...   
  As i understand the GC command... it does not actually run when you type that in.. the 'command' is actually taken by java to be a suggestion... so there may be some time between typing in GC and when it decides to run..
i recall we briefly poked at the GC thing.. but it really wasn't much of  test.  typed it in.. it came back with a few lines of text.. showing allocated space and free space.. and that's about as far as we went with it... 
  it seems to me it would be an easy enough thing to try.. during the mission  pressing shft+ tab to open your console.. and type in GC   .. then press enter, then press shift+ tab again.. 
and do this on a fairly regular basis during the mission... i plan on typing it in every 10 minutes or so.. if you don't want to.. that's ok.. we'll see if the guys that do try it.. stay in game.

if by some miracle we see an improvement.. then i'll start looking for some one that knows how to write java and make some changes as to how the GC handles itself in the game so we don't have to type it in.... but that's getting ahead of ourselves at this point i think..  hard to say...i'm half silly at the moment form reading about java now...     

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to
"What the hell, let's see what happens"?  Me too.

_AH_BBQhead

S~..

i changed the maxlag settings in the config.ini and hosted a few missions.. so far so good.. i think the most people in was about 10 though..  so nothing concrete yet.. other than most of the guys saying the usual laggy spots.. ie: over the ships when they're firing flack, low over explosions...were pretty smooth.

here's the settings i used..

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime=2.0    <===  was at 10.0
nearMaxLagTime=1.0  <=== was at 2.0
cheaterWarningDelay=5.0 
cheaterWarningNum=-1  <===  Disables auto-kick

these settings determine how long a time the server will wait to hear from the client before  'taking action' ..what that action is.. other than auto kicking you..i don't know.. but for a first test.. it did seem smoother..
the farmaxlag is supposed to monitor your flight when you're not threatened.. the nearmaxlag is for when your plane is in a hostile position..defensive or attacking..   
  the cheaterwarning delay tells the server how  long to wait for the next out of bounds condition to occur before reporting it again.. so as not to record one out of bounds occurrence several times.. 

Will need to be tested with more people in the missions.. but at this point it looks promising as a possible surge suppression  setting from the server side.

At that awkward age where your brain has gone from " Probably shouldn't say that" to

_AH_Twisted

~S~ Thanks BB I'll also make the changes to my file.

Foxbat

S~
Whatever you did BB my game played as smooth as could be. I've been in your coops before and while good
not that smooth before. Good stuff.

_AH_BBQhead

S~.. good to hear, Fox.. i'm really just shooting in the dark with this stuff..

i'm curious to see what happens when we get a host that's got the changed settings and runs a mission with 20+ guys in there.

was good not to try that right off though.. wouldn't  want any women backing up into spinning props.  (tongue)

* Update!:   Last night's FNF Host, Skat, changed his farmax and nearmax lag settings for the FNF... more promising results.

well over 20 people in the game and it went very well.     

_AH_Zipzag

There was one point when we came near target ,  alot of peeps lagged out , i never seen it , felt like a spawn lag to me , ya somtimes i see  warping on scats connection but last time nothing , well done Scat , I need your settings maybe it could improve mine .  ~S~